4. Shelby Valley
5. Pikeville
6. Southwestern
7. Leslie
8. Knott Central
9. Paintsville
10. Pike Central

Thoughts???
They have ZERO clue. ZERO. I'll start wtih North over South - sure North Won. But Clay Beat north and they're not in there. Can't just go on head to head. Knott County? Pike Central? Leslie? there are 2-3 13th Region teams better then them with better records..... It's like they don't do any sort of research at all....
Since you are such a Basketball expert, who is your top 10?
Thank you for recognizing my basketball knowledge! I'll have to study and then post. Which is something that WYMT should do.....
It’s just odd that you immediately discounted their opinion/credibility. How could you do that before you done your own research? Kind of discredits your opinion/credibility, don’t ya think?
FrozenColonel Wrote:It’s just odd that you immediately discounted their opinion/credibility. How could you do that before you done your own research? Kind of discredits your opinion/credibility, don’t ya think?

Whitley County is better than several of the teams listed here. Looks like you need to do some research.
FYI this was the WYMT rankings, not mine... I just stated that he was calling out WYMT immediately while stating that he needed to do his/her own research to list his top 10. Which means that he/she didn’t have the info to discredit another’s opinion.
The 13th should probably have five of the top 10 teams with Whitley and Clay in there also, along with Southwestern, Pikeville and Shelby Valley and maybe two from the 14th.
I don't have to do the research to know that 6 loss (now 7) Knott County doesn't belong. and besides, HCS is the smartest person in the room - so I'll defer to his opinion and adopt it as my own!
Who cares nobody will remember these rankings. The only teams that will be remembered are the ones that win there region
I'm not sure why anyone ever pays attention to "mountain rankings" from wymt.
The attention is why they keep doing them. It's always a beauty contest when it comes to records. No SOS or head to head ever given thought.
Take it for what it is and has been since Milam left. Garbage.
I have to agree with the SOS,seems like some may have padded their schedules.
HCS Wrote:The 13th should probably have five of the top 10 teams with Whitley and Clay in there also, along with Southwestern, Pikeville and Shelby Valley and maybe two from the 14th.

That sounds about right.
Proud Panther has a point. I have noticed that the WYMT sports coverage is not near what it has been in the past and I think that has a lot to do with the high turnovers they have with people using them as a stepping stone for bigger jobs. And the people they bring in just aren't familiar with our area. I'm not arguing the rankings because I don't know enough about all the teams but just the fact that WYMT's coverage is going downhill. And the highlights, does anyone remember when they had Derek Forest? They will never have another Derek Forest. That guy loved his job and he was great at it. I wish they would get someone with just some of his skills.
I hated to see Brian Milam leave for Channel 27. He did a great job imo. He knew the teams, coaches and players throughout the mountains and did his research in keeping up with the high school sports scene. I’m not saying the ones they have now won’t grow into the job but they have a long way to go to equal Brian.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I hated to see Brian Milam leave for Channel 27. He did a great job imo. He knew the teams, coaches and players throughout the mountains and did his research in keeping up with the high school sports scene. I’m not saying the ones they have now won’t grow into the job but they have a long way to go to equal Brian.

Sports Overtime is pretty much unwatchable now. It's nowhere near the show it once was.
Man it was great back in the 90s. Call in, Milam and the other guy knew more about mountain football then every guy that's came threw since combined.
No way 4 teams from the 15th are in the top 10. Pike central was only up 11 with a minute to go on Prestonsburg tonight.
15th is stronger than the 14th ranking them 1-5.. 13th is the stronger of the 3.
Blackcatdad Wrote:No way 4 teams from the 15th are in the top 10. Pike central was only up 11 with a minute to go on Prestonsburg tonight.

Going into P-burg after a 10 day layoff, losing one of the starters in the first quarter, may have a little to do with it. Plus PC was able to get plenty of shots up. At no point in the game did P-burg threaten to get the W. Bottom line, PC didn't hit their easy shots, (which happens from time to time with any team), not having the point guard hurt. I wouldn't look too hard at this game. PC beat P-burg by 40 or so in the first game of the year. Pike Central is better than some are giving credit for. Just like JC. They are better than they are getting credit for too, even though their record may say something different.
WYMT Sports Overtime is #1 in my book. :Cheerlead
Well. Paintsville best Southwestern last night so.... guess the gap isn’t as big as some would have everyone believe. Pikeville girls vs Shelby Valley should be a humdinger. Based on games I’ve seen so far this year, Clay County definitely should be in the mix as well. Looks like a fairly exciting tournament season for the 13th, 14th and 15th on the girls side.
Well. Paintsville best Southwestern last night so.... guess the gap isn’t as big as some would have everyone believe. Pikeville girls vs Shelby Valley should be a humdinger. Based on games I’ve seen so far this year, Clay County definitely should be in the mix as well. Looks like a fairly exciting tournament season for the 13th, 14th and 15th on the girls side.
Mjolnir Wrote:I have to agree with the SOS,seems like some may have padded their schedules.

Well...you can't say that about Paintsville. They Lady Tigers have already played 6 and will play a 7th team that is currently in the Top 10.
This year's current schedule is prolly one of the Lady Tigers toughest schedules ever.
OTH, you are correct Paintsville has played a tough schedule,no argument there. I think most people are concerned with Pike Central being listed. Clay or Whitley probably deserve to be there.
Mjolnir Wrote:OTH, you are correct Paintsville has played a tough schedule,no argument there. I think most people are concerned with Pike Central being listed. Clay or Whitley probably deserve to be there.

I understand. But...I think PCC is a dangerous team. Really, just like quite a few teams in our Region. It depends on who is hot and in the zone at the right time. There are prolly 6 to 7 teams in 15th, that if they hit a flow in February, could win our Region. Please don't anyone take this as I am discrediting anyone. Of course we have favs in 15th. But...every team has a bad night. Gonna be a fun boys and girls 15th Tourny.
64SUR Wrote:WYMT Sports Overtime is #1 in my book. :Cheerlead

Your book ain't a best seller.
PHSForever Wrote:Well. Paintsville best Southwestern last night so.... guess the gap isn’t as big as some would have everyone believe. Pikeville girls vs Shelby Valley should be a humdinger. Based on games I’ve seen so far this year, Clay County definitely should be in the mix as well. Looks like a fairly exciting tournament season for the 13th, 14th and 15th on the girls side.

Harlan County beat Pike Central by 29 at Pike Central - seems like a pretty big gap.
OffTheHook Wrote:I understand. But...I think PCC is a dangerous team. Really, just like quite a few teams in our Region. It depends on who is hot and in the zone at the right time. There are prolly 6 to 7 teams in 15th, that if they hit a flow in February, could win our Region. Please don't anyone take this as I am discrediting anyone. Of course we have favs in 15th. But...every team has a bad night. Gonna be a fun boys and girls 15th Tourny.

It’s hard to get a grasp on how good PCC actually is in the region. They’ve only played 3 region teams all year. They probably will play less regional competition during the season than any other regional team. I suppose that was the intent when they made their schedule, play mostly outside of the region.
HCS Wrote:Harlan County beat Pike Central by 29 at Pike Central - seems like a pretty big gap.

Not that it likely wouldn't have made much difference, but Pike Central isn't exactly at full strength right now. They lost a key member off the bench for the season a couple weeks ago and they lost their starting point guard a couple nights ago.

Harlan County is an extremely talented group tho, no question about that.

But I'm just saying perhaps if PC were at full strength maybe it wouldn't have been as lopsided. 10-15 points maybe.
Harlan County lost an all-state center to a knee injury in the WYMT tourney. She is being recruited by several schools, including a couple Division I schools. Put them both at full strength and it wouldn't be 10-15.