Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodford County 2018
Can Coach Dennis Johnson get football on track in 2018 after a dismal 2017 season.
Will Dennis Johnson still be the coach?
Explorer Wrote:Will Dennis Johnson still be the coach?

he shouldn't be. woodford hasn't had a good season in a while
No doubt Johnson has severely underachieved since being head coach. Big name coaches doesnt automatically equal sucess. He needs a decent year in 2018.
He seems to be fighting a losing battle.
The only team in Central Kentucky that had a worst season than Woodford was Dunbar. I don't know how Johnson is holding on to that job, honestly.
Don Draper Wrote:The only team in Central Kentucky that had a worst season than Woodford was Dunbar. I don't know how Johnson is holding on to that job, honestly.

Does the administration even care? Woodford has been losing kids to LCA and LexCath for years. Has anything ever been done to make them want to stay?
FoSho Wrote:He seems to be fighting a losing battle.

What’s he fighting? He’s also the AD. To many excuses. Johnson needs to start producing no one cares about his playing glory days anymore he can’t live on that forever. He needs to get Woodford going period.
Don Draper Wrote:The only team in Central Kentucky that had a worst season than Woodford was Dunbar. I don't know how Johnson is holding on to that job, honestly.

I would argue Woodford was worst. Dunbar can at least say they lost a bunch of quality players to due to transfers.
What was his coaching experience before being head coach at Woodford?
Malcolm Ex Wrote:I would argue Woodford was worst. Dunbar can at least say they lost a bunch of quality players to due to transfers.

Woodford is losing players left and right to transfer and a few of them are pretty dang good.
FoSho Wrote:Woodford is losing players left and right to transfer and a few of them are pretty dang good.

Didn’t he have several D1 players a few years ago? If kids are transferring it is his job to make the program attractive enough to keep them. There are too many excuses flying around Woodford if he can’t get it done than in his role as AD he should fire himself.
FoSho Wrote:Does the administration even care? Woodford has been losing kids to LCA and LexCath for years. Has anything ever been done to make them want to stay?

Johnson’s job to keep them
Woodford Co is a mess. From the Middle School all the way to Johnson Very undisciplined. Program is bleeding.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Woodford Co is a mess. From the Middle School all the way to Johnson Very undisciplined. Program is bleeding.

Are there any plans in place to correct it?
Johnson is the definition of " he played in the NFL, so he must know football" but in actuality can't coach a lick.
I believe next years senior class won the Bluegrass conference as 8th graders , defeating Scott county in the championship. Not sure how many in that class are still playing . The talent has been and is still at Woodford. Enough to compete and win . Can’t point to lack of talent !!!!
Bluegrass conference is no joke for middle school football. That’s gotta be a very solid class coming up then.
Explorer Wrote:Bluegrass conference is no joke for middle school football. That’s gotta be a very solid class coming up then.

True but can Johnson develop them? He seems very overrated.
Doubtful. So, get a new coach or those kids will likely not play in high school or go play somewhere else. Just how it is now.
Explorer Wrote:Doubtful. So, get a new coach or those kids will likely not play in high school or go play somewhere else. Just how it is now.

Is he that bad? What is the problem? Just doesn’t make sense a coach with his background can’t get High School kids to buy into him.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Didn’t he have several D1 players a few years ago? If kids are transferring it is his job to make the program attractive enough to keep them. There are too many excuses flying around Woodford if he can’t get it done than in his role as AD he should fire himself.

He had 3 D1 OL but no skill kids. Now it's switched.

Plus I've heard the middle school program is trash.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Is he that bad? What is the problem? Just doesn’t make sense a coach with his background can’t get High School kids to buy into him.

I have heard that if it's not wrestling it's not a priority for the district.
Does Woodford have any upcoming seniors who will be college prospects?
How do you not win more than 3 games with 3 D-1 linemen. Another poster said they didn't have great skill players when they were there but how many do you need. If nothing else cut your splits down, go double tights and grind and grind. Do not think offense is the problem anyway. Last 3 years a combined 6-27 record while averaging 18 pts a game but giving up a monster 38 points a game.
64black&gold Wrote:How do you not win more than 3 games with 3 D-1 linemen. Another poster said they didn't have great skill players when they were there but how many do you need. If nothing else cut your splits down, go double tights and grind and grind. Do not think offense is the problem anyway. Last 3 years a combined 6-27 record while averaging 18 pts a game but giving up a monster 38 points a game.

If someone can answer that question I will give them a Malcolm Ex trophy :1:
Is Johnson still the coach?
6-30 record is pretty bad and none of those losses were even competitive according to the blowout scores.
Woodford was always a pretty decent name in high school football less than 20 years ago.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Is Johnson still the coach?
6-30 record is pretty bad and none of those losses were even competitive according to the blowout scores.
Woodford was always a pretty decent name in high school football less than 20 years ago.

Johnson is the coach and the athletic director. They are currently on a 20 game losing streak. Their last win was on September 16, 2016 vs. Nelson County. It's likely that they will go 0-11 again this season, bringing the losing streak to 28 in a row. It's unfortunate because they should be more successful than this. I've heard they have about 30 players out right now.