Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Central Florida Be Playing For The National Championship?
Should UCF be playing in the national title game? I know some of you think this is a rediculous question, but please, hear me out. Yes, Alabama is the cream of the crop when it comes to college football programs. It's the gold standard. It's the grand pooh bah of all college teams. Yes, Alabama is the only football program that has played in every college FBS playoff and may quite possibly win it all again this year, but do they deserve to be there over UCF?

UFC finished the regular season with a perfect 11-0 record, a better record than Alabama who finished with an 11-1 record. Advantage UCF

UFC was a conference champion, winning the AAC Championship. Yes, the SEC is a better conference top to bottom, but still. Alabama didn't even make it to their conference championship. Advantage UCF

This one may surprise you but UCF had a higher strength of schedule ranking than Alabama even figuring in yesterday's bowl games. Both schools defeated 9 teams with winning records. Alabama had a strength of schedule ranking of 27th. Their opponents had 82 wins and 58 losses. UCF finished the season with a strength of schedule ranking of 14th. Their opponents had 91 wins and 58 losses. Advantage UFC

Lastly, let's take a look at a common opponents, Auburn. UCF was able to do what Alabama could not do. They defeated the Auburn Tigers. Auburn soundly defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide 26-14 in the regular season finally for both schools (yes, the game was played at Auburn). UCF defeated the Auburn Tigers by a score of 34-27. Advantage UCF

Like I said, Alabama may be the best team in the county and the national champion when all is said and done, but UCF does have an argument that they would be playing for the national championship. After all, they will be the only undefeated FBS college football team when all is said and done.
Got to go play the big boys to get invited to the party. FSU, Florida and Miami would be instate games they could use to make a statement.
E's Army Wrote:Got to go play the big boys to get invited to the party. FSU, Florida and Miami would be instate games they could use to make a statement.

Entering their bowl games they both had two wins versus top 25 teams. Alabama defeated (16) LSU and (24) Mississippi State. UCF defeated (19) Memphis twice and (23) South Florida, so that is pretty even in my book.
Absolutely. But not being from a power 5 that wasn’t about to happen.
I hate to admit this, but I broke ranks with the SEC teams, and yelled for UCF.

It was a decision of the heart!! After seeing the kid with the autoimmune disease meet with the fans from Auburn who had a son with the same disease and watching the kid with one hand work out with a prosthetic just to lift weights, that team just won me over.

I don't know how the teams who play in the bowl games are determined and thinking about all that crap gives me a headache.

Congratulations to UCF. I will be noticing them more next year.
I think this is why the CFP will go to 8 teams in the near future.
Axel Foley Wrote:I think this is why the CFP will go to 8 teams in the near future.

Sadly,with UCF being ranked 12th entering bowl season, that would not even have helped.
UCF looked and played like a team that belonged in the playoffs, very impressive...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Westside Wrote:Sadly,with UCF being ranked 12th entering bowl season, that would not even have helped.

Criteria being 5 Power Conference Champions, 2 At large teams, 1 team from Group of 5.
No way, not over Alabama. They just beat the #1 seed. Maybe put them in over Oklahoma or Clemson who actually lost.

I understand all the “guidelines” and that all looks good on paper but I don’t care if Auburn beat Alabama and UCF beat Auburn. Give me that Alabama team last night over UCF 10/10 times.

The only thing Auburn has won in the last 5 years in the Birmingham bowl and an SEC championship in Gus first year. They can’t win when it counts.

Absolutely taking nothing away from UCF. Great tournaround, great coach, a lot of heart and they are talented as well! I dropped the SEC for that game and cheered for them. Were the deserving of a chance to the playoffs? Yes. Should they have made it over Alabama? No.
^and if you’re gonna play scores or matchups, why wasn’t Alabama #1 and Clemson #4?
- Clemson lost to Syracuse
- Alabama lost to Auburn (clearly better than Syracuse)

Then people say well Clemson lost their QB that game... well nobody talks about the 5 defensive players Alabama battled all year with injuries. But what do I know lol!

It’s simple: Alabama lost later in the season. That shouldn’t be right, that shouldn’t be the critiea.

The committee did a lot better job this year but something should be talked about to make it better. 8 teams - different critiea. But at the end of the day it is always gonna have its flaws! Looking forward to Monday... SEC!
Axel Foley Wrote:Criteria being 5 Power Conference Champions, 2 At large teams, 1 team from Group of 5.

I don't agree with this, but if the NCAA wants to go in this direction, all non P5 conferences need to be bumped down to FCS status.
MountainBall44 Wrote:No way, not over Alabama. They just beat the #1 seed. Maybe put them in over Oklahoma or Clemson who actually lost.

I understand all the “guidelines” and that all looks good on paper but I don’t care if Auburn beat Alabama and UCF beat Auburn. Give me that Alabama team last night over UCF 10/10 times.

The only thing Auburn has won in the last 5 years in the Birmingham bowl and an SEC championship in Gus first year. They can’t win when it counts.

Absolutely taking nothing away from UCF. Great tournaround, great coach, a lot of heart and they are talented as well! I dropped the SEC for that game and cheered for them. Were the deserving of a chance to the playoffs? Yes. Should they have made it over Alabama? No.

In your opinion, what factors should be used to determine the playoff seeds?
^ they have the guidelines right. Although they should lean more on actual play on the field (eye test). But what I meant when I said “guidelines” is IMO the committee waivers too much on all the guidlines instead of having a SET selection process and not moving away from one factor to the other..

I would have a 10 team playoff. First 2 seeds have a bye,
1. Champion from all power 5 conference
2. 4 at large teams
3. 1 group of 5

But I don’t think that will happen.
Went back and looked at UCF’s schedule and it ranked 77th and they had one win over a top 25 team, so no they didn’t belong...But dang they looked great and congrats to them for a great year...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Went back and looked at UCF’s schedule and it ranked 77th and they had one win over a top 25 team, so no they didn’t belong...But dang they looked great and congrats to them for a great year...

They defeated two teams in the final AP poll. UCF defeated (19) Memphis twice and (23) South Florida. As far as strength of schedule it depends on what site you look at. This site has them ranked 14th.

http://warrennolan.com/football/2017/sos
Somebody has to be #5 and #6. OSU and UCF. If you had 8 teams they are in. Now I ask you is UCF better than Alabama, Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma? The best 4 teams were in, I think they got it right. I don't want to hear who beat who and when. Are they a better team?
AnswertheBell Wrote:Somebody has to be #5 and #6. OSU and UCF. If you had 8 teams they are in. Now I ask you is UCF better than Alabama, Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma? The best 4 teams were in, I think they got it right. I don't want to hear who beat who and when. Are they a better team?

If who beat who and when isn't factored into the equation, what should be? I think that has to be looked at when determining the playoff teams.
Much more than this team beat this one and that one beat the other so then team 1 can beat team 4. I don't buy that reasoning. I find it hard to believe UCF had the 14th best schedule in Country. I don't think warren nolan knows what he is talking about. If these teams want in, play Okl. OSU, Alabama or Georgia in reg season. I would say a school like LSU may have gotten them in. Memphis and CF will not and never has. That is why I don't like when they complain. They know this.

You didn't answer my question, Do you think they are better than Alabama or any of the 4 that made it?
people get real. Auburn did beat Bama and UGA, but both of them games was at Auburn. if either of then games was on the road games. Auburn would lose both of them, if Bama had all of there player I still think bama would beat Auburn. this year Auburn play lights out at home, and SO/SO on the road.
Auburn was 7-0 at home, 3-2 road, and 0-2 neutral.
UFC 13-0, FIU 8-5 (C-USA), Maryland 4-8 (Big 10), Memphis 10-3 (AAC), Cincinnati 4-8 (AAC), ECU 3-9 (AAC), Navy 7-6 (AAC), Austin Peay 8-4 (OVC), SMU 7-6 (AAC), UConn 3-9 (AAC), Temple 7-6 (AAC), USF 10-2 (AAC)... Maryland was tie for 6th in Big 10 east. with all of these team, what would make anyone think that UCF should be in the playoffs.
MountainBall44 Wrote:^and if you’re gonna play scores or matchups, why wasn’t Alabama #1 and Clemson #4?
- Clemson lost to Syracuse
- Alabama lost to Auburn (clearly better than Syracuse)

Then people say well Clemson lost their QB that game... well nobody talks about the 5 defensive players Alabama battled all year with injuries. But what do I know lol!

It’s simple: Alabama lost later in the season. That shouldn’t be right, that shouldn’t be the critiea.

The committee did a lot better job this year but something should be talked about to make it better. 8 teams - different critiea. But at the end of the day it is always gonna have its flaws! Looking forward to Monday... SEC!

they can go to a 16 team playoffs, there will still be people saying "this team should got in". if they go to a 8 team playoffs, there will be more 4 and 5 star player will be going to FCS to play less games and still be able to make it to the NFL.
Westside Wrote:Should UCF be playing in the national title game? I know some of you think this is a rediculous question, but please, hear me out. Yes, Alabama is the cream of the crop when it comes to college football programs. It's the gold standard. It's the grand pooh bah of all college teams. Yes, Alabama is the only football program that has played in every college FBS playoff and may quite possibly win it all again this year, but do they deserve to be there over UCF?

UFC finished the regular season with a perfect 11-0 record, a better record than Alabama who finished with an 11-1 record. Advantage UCF

UFC was a conference champion, winning the AAC Championship. Yes, the SEC is a better conference top to bottom, but still. Alabama didn't even make it to their conference championship. Advantage UCF

This one may surprise you but UCF had a higher strength of schedule ranking than Alabama even figuring in yesterday's bowl games. Both schools defeated 9 teams with winning records. Alabama had a strength of schedule ranking of 27th. Their opponents had 82 wins and 58 losses. UCF finished the season with a strength of schedule ranking of 14th. Their opponents had 91 wins and 58 losses. Advantage UFC

Lastly, let's take a look at a common opponents, Auburn. UCF was able to do what Alabama could not do. They defeated the Auburn Tigers. Auburn soundly defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide 26-14 in the regular season finally for both schools (yes, the game was played at Auburn). UCF defeated the Auburn Tigers by a score of 34-27. Advantage UCF

Like I said, Alabama may be the best team in the county and the national champion when all is said and done, but UCF does have an argument that they would be playing for the national championship. After all, they will be the only undefeated FBS college football team when all is said and done.

Yes.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Much more than this team beat this one and that one beat the other so then team 1 can beat team 4. I don't buy that reasoning. I find it hard to believe UCF had the 14th best schedule in Country. I don't think warren nolan knows what he is talking about. If these teams want in, play Okl. OSU, Alabama or Georgia in reg season. I would say a school like LSU may have gotten them in. Memphis and CF will not and never has. That is why I don't like when they complain. They know this.

You didn't answer my question, Do you think they are better than Alabama or any of the 4 that made it?

No, I don think they are necessarily better than Bama but then again I thought Auburn was much better UCF so I'm not really sure. Like I said on my very first post of this thread, Bama may be the best team in the country. The purpose of this thread was to simply present a case to why UCF should be playing in the national title game. I think they do have a good case and have a stronger argument in some instances than Bama, which I presented in the first post.
Westside Wrote:No, I don think they are necessarily better than Bama but then again I thought Auburn was much better UCF so I'm not really sure. Like I said on my very first post of this thread, Bama may be the best team in the country. The purpose of this thread was to simply present a case to why UCF should be playing in the national title game. I think they do have a good case and have a stronger argument in some instances than Bama, which I presented in the first post.

Bama played 9 teams from the power 5. there will be some that will say FSU wasn't that good this year, they lose there starting QB in the game with Bama, does anyone think that FSU would be 7-6 on the season if there starting QB didn't get hurt for the season. UCF played 1 from the power 5, and the other one got call off with GA Tech. playing a power 5 team once a year or maybe 2 time a years if nothing like playing these team 8 plus times a year.
Bama played 9 power 5 teams, UGA played 11 power 5 teams, OK played 11 power 5 teams, Clemson played 11 power 5 teams.

lets take TCU, when they was in the Mountain West Conf. they went 12-0 almost every years. TCU had never done that in the Big 12. ok here is a better one, Boise State use to go 12-0 all the time, then they move up to the Mountain West Conf. BSU hadn't went 12-0 since.
cj2561 Wrote:people get real. Auburn did beat Bama and UGA, but both of them games was at Auburn. if either of then games was on the road games. Auburn would lose both of them, if Bama had all of there player I still think bama would beat Auburn. this year Auburn play lights out at home, and SO/SO on the road.
Auburn was 7-0 at home, 3-2 road, and 0-2 neutral.
UFC 13-0, FIU 8-5 (C-USA), Maryland 4-8 (Big 10), Memphis 10-3 (AAC), Cincinnati 4-8 (AAC), ECU 3-9 (AAC), Navy 7-6 (AAC), Austin Peay 8-4 (OVC), SMU 7-6 (AAC), UConn 3-9 (AAC), Temple 7-6 (AAC), USF 10-2 (AAC)... Maryland was tie for 6th in Big 10 east. with all of these team, what would make anyone think that UCF should be in the playoffs.

No way. Auburn won the first game against Georgia 40-17. No way playing at home made that big of a difference.
Axel Foley Wrote:I think this is why the CFP will go to 8 teams in the near future.
I hope so. Although not perfect (some teams that will be left out), it would allow more teams in the mix. From the start of the playoff system I thought that four teams were to few. Eight will help.
Westside Wrote:No way. Auburn won the first game against Georgia 40-17. No way playing at home made that big of a difference.

it must, because in the SEC title game UGA beat Auburn like a drum 28-7 on a neutral field. the first game was Nov 11 when Auburn won at Auburn 40-17, at the SEC title game on Dec 2 on a neutral field UGA mop the floor with Auburn 28-7, that game wasn't that close.
cj2561 Wrote:it must, because in the SEC title game UGA beat Auburn like a drum 28-7 on a neutral field. the first game was Nov 11 when Auburn won at Auburn 40-17, at the SEC title game on Dec 2 on a neutral field UGA mop the floor with Auburn 28-7, that game wasn't that close.

You seem to be an intelligent guy, and you're obviously knowledgeable about football. You know what a lot a of people say about beating an opponent twice in the same season.
West side why don’t you believe that UCF is better than the 4 that are in?
AnswertheBell Wrote:West side why don’t you believe that UCF is better than the 4 that are in?

I don't know if they are or not. It's a topic to be debated.