Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2007 Bengals Transactions
[Image: http://assets.bengals.com/images/spacer.gif]
[Image: http://www.bengals.com/images/interior/header_trans.gif]
[Image: http://assets.bengals.com/images/spacer.gif]
2007 Bengals Transactions

Click on the [view] link next to any transaction to read more Mar. 12: WR Kelley Washington (UFA-Cin.) signed with New England.
Mar. 9: TE Tony Stewart (UFA-Cin.) signed with Oakland. [view]
Mar. 8: Signed TE Reggie Kelly (UFA-Cin.). [view]
Mar. 2: Signed RB Kenny Watson (UFA-Cin.). G Eric Steinbach (UFA-Cin.) signed with Cleveland. LB Marcus Wilkins (UFA-Cin.) signed with Atlanta. [view]
Feb. 28: Terminated the contract of LB Brian Simmons. Signed RB Terrence Whitehead (exclusive rights player-Cin.). Announced that the following four players would play in the 2007 NFL Europe League: LB Jason Berryman, TE Sean Mulcahy, T Alan Reuber and DE Jimmy Verdon. [view]
Feb. 19: Signed TE Gregg Guenther (FA). [view]
Feb. 15: Designated DE Justin Smith (UFA-Cin.) as franchise player. [view]
Feb. 5: Signed QB Doug Johnson (UFA-Cin.). [view]
Jan. 30: Signed T Scott Kooistra (UFA-Cin.). [view]
Jan. 16: Named Mike Sheppard wide receivers coach. [view]
Jan. 11: Signed DE Robert Geathers (RFA-Cin.). [view]
Jan. 4: Announced the following four players would play in the 2007 NFL Europe League: LB Jason Berryman , TE Sean Mulcahy, DL Jimmy Verdon and T Alan Reuber. [view]
Jan. 2: Signed LB Jason Berryman (FA), TE Sean Mulcahy (FA) and DL Jimmy Verdon (FA). [view]
Jan. 2: Signed seven practice squad players to the offseason roster: TE Tim Day, TE Ronnie Ghent, DE Eric Henderson, OL Nate Livings, FB Chris Manderino, OL Alan Reuber, CB Brandon Williams. [view]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
We've got some work to do in the draft and free agency, but none of those releases will hurt us too much, if at all.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:We've got some work to do in the draft and free agency, but none of those releases will hurt us too much, if at all.

Slapping the Franchise Tag on Smith pretty much took us out of the running for any big name FA.

I really believe this team is a lot closer to taking that next step than most people think. Despite all the injuries, despite all the off the field problems, despite the toughest schedule in the league, this team was a 38 yrd field goal away from returning to the playoffs.

Its true the defense has to come on. But another thing that worries me is our offensive line. Bob Bratkowski made the comment that Carson Palmer got hit more last year than any QB has ever been hit in his system. We can't have that gang. CP is the heart of this team. I guess that shows how special Palmer really is. Despite all the pressure he stlll threw for a team record in yardage and made the Pro Bowl. To me, priority one is protecting him.
Bengal Cat Wrote:Slapping the Franchise Tag on Smith pretty much took us out of the running for any big name FA.

I really believe this team is a lot closer to taking that next step than most people think. Despite all the injuries, despite all the off the field problems, despite the toughest schedule in the league, this team was a 38 yrd field goal away from returning to the playoffs.

Its true the defense has to come on. But another thing that worries me is our offensive line. Bob Bratkowski made the comment that Carson Palmer got hit more last year than any QB has ever been hit in his system. We can't have that gang. CP is the heart of this team. I guess that shows how special Palmer really is. Despite all the pressure he stlll threw for a team record in yardage and made the Pro Bowl. To me, priority one is protecting him.
I agree that the offensive line needs work, but you don't need to spend a lot of money in free agency or use high draft picks on offensive linemen. There will be skilled ones left late in the draft and free agency that won't break our bank account.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Mar. 14: S Kevin Kaesviharn (UFA-Cin.) signed with New Orleans. [view]

All kinds of things happening.
BCF4L Wrote:Mar. 14: S Kevin Kaesviharn (UFA-Cin.) signed with New Orleans. [view]

All kinds of things happening.

Like I said, they're cleaning house, but they better hit the draft and free agency hard, or there will be players going both ways..........
BFritz Wrote:I agree that the offensive line needs work, but you don't need to spend a lot of money in free agency or use high draft picks on offensive linemen. There will be skilled ones left late in the draft and free agency that won't break our bank account.

The Bengals hardly ever pay interior linemen big bucks. They have always paid their tackles though. Levi Jones contract is worth $40 million and at the time Big Willie signed his back in August, he was the highest paid RT in the league. By contrast Bobby Williams new contract is worth $10.5 mill. Whitworth will fill in fine at guard in Steinbachs place. Im not so sure hes not better suited for guard. He played well at tackle filling in for Jones last season, but I thought he really had problems with the quick defensive ends....especially Dwight Freeney.
I'm not really worried about the offense this year. I think what killed us last year was the lack of continuity on the o-line, due to all the injuries. Surely the line won't get hit that hard again.

The defense, however needs a stud DT and a shutdown corner really bad.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not really worried about the offense this year. I think what killed us last year was the lack of continuity on the o-line, due to all the injuries. Surely the line won't get hit that hard again.

The defense, however needs a stud DT and a shutdown corner really bad.

I agree, and depending on how Odell is, and even if he's good to go, I think we could use a few backers who can be a firm presence

Even without all the injuries though, our line still wasn't great.
I just hope that they don't plan on Sam Adams manning one of the DT positions. He reported overweight last year and just never seemed to do much of anything.

I would love to see them get the DT from Louisville (Okoye?), I think he looks like he will be something special.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I just hope that they don't plan on Sam Adams manning one of the DT positions. He reported overweight last year and just never seemed to do much of anything.

I would love to see them get the DT from Louisville (Okoye?), I think he looks like he will be something special.
if they're switching to a 3-4 as reported, I think he'd be a good plug in the middle
BFritz Wrote:if they're switching to a 3-4 as reported, I think he'd be a good plug in the middle

If they're switching to a 3-4 next year, then they're even dumber than I thought for releasing Brian Simmons. They barely had enough capable LB's to man the 4-3!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BFritz Wrote:if they're switching to a 3-4 as reported, I think he'd be a good plug in the middle

According to Marvin in this interview on Feb. 9...they are staying with the 4-3.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5882

Lewis resolves to resolve

By GEOFF HOBSON
February 9, 2007

Posted: 4 p.m.

Lewis
If Super Bowl champion Tony Dungy gets credit for not panicking during the Colts’ many crises, then Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is showing some of that same resolve as he heads into the most crucial season of his five years in Cincinnati.

In Friday’s post-Super Bowl sitdown with Bengals.com, Lewis said he’s sticking with the 4-3 defense and his belief that he can’t run it while also being the head coach.

Lewis also said that the Bengals are going to continue to sign their own players instead of laying out big money in free agency, that they can’t afford any more character questions in the upcoming draft, and their professionalism gap was spurred by players upset they didn’t get contracts.

As for individual players, Lewis indicated cornerback Tory James won’t be back, he wouldn’t eliminate middle linebacker Odell Thurman, and he said defensive end Justin Smith could be tagged as a franchise free agent before the Feb. 22 deadline.

Lewis also said the Bengals need to make sure they have a backup for running back Rudi Johnson and said a big reason Johnson didn’t break a run longer than 22 yards last season is because of blocking from the wide receivers downfield that he called “embarrassing at times.”

While the move to franchise Smith, a pure 4-3 end, would take the Bengals out of the Adalius Thomas-Cato June-Asante Samuel-big-time free agency, it would also give them some options before they would be married to Smith’s $8.6 million salary cap number by July 16.

Either way, Lewis said Friday he’s hanging with the 4-3 even though his defense has finished 28th or lower in three of his four seasons.

“You can put all that to rest. We have the (4-3) personnel,” Lewis said. “We’ll continue the way we are and not take any side steps. We need to get better and keep progressing with our players and that’s the best way for us to do it the quickest.”

Although Lewis rose to prominence as a defensive guru, he continues to insist he can’t have the same role as well as be the head coach.

“I don’t coach the defense. I don’t call the defense on Sunday. If you’re the defensive coordinator you’ve got to do that, which means I don’t,” Lewis said. “That takes a lot of time. I don’t know a head coach that calls a defensive game on Sunday because you have to put yourself in that situation day in and day out. That’s difficult.

“Offense is easier that way because you’re trying to direct,” he said. “And not many do it on offense. Very few do it on offense. Some go in with that mindset, but then they change very quickly.”

Lewis isn’t changing from his philosophy that free agency won’t solve the biggest problems and he said the players who can solve the defensive problem “are here in this building.”

“People continue to point out the teams that (spend) in free agency win less games,” he said. “It takes chemistry. It’s people working together. It takes time. When we get a guy off another team, invariably there comes that adverse time within the game that he reverts back to other things that he knows from another place and another time. That’s not the reaction you need at that critical moment.

“The answer is to always try and reserve some of your own players and continue to progress with guys in the draft,” Lewis said. “Continue to let them mature and develop as football players in the NFL. They’re trained in your system, they’re trained your way and that’s the way teams continue to get better.”

Lewis wouldn’t say if the team is looking for defense in the draft but did say that character is now more of a priority after this grueling 14-month stretch of nine arrests ended a season that has earned the 8-8 Bengals the tag of “underachieving.”

He said the only thing the Bengals have to improve in the draft process is “just don’t turn in the card,” because they have been aware of players when they have had issues.

“I don’t look at it any different,” Lewis said of drafting character. “We just have to do a better job of not discounting it. We’ve got to do a better job. Enough said. Everybody (in the draft room) is aware of what we’ve done. Just don’t turn in the card. That’s all. It’s a simple process. We have not been fooled. Move to the next guy. There’s a lot of good football players. Pick the right ones. I say that all the time.

“Don’t spend our chip on a guy that has problems and issues in his background any more,” Lewis said, “because we can’t take any more of that. I spend too much time talking about it. We’ve spent too much time today talking about it.”

He definitely won’t spend much time talking about Thurman, the guy that went from being a Rookie of the Year candidate to a rehab candidate in less than six months. Thurman is serving a one-year suspension for violating his violation of the NFL substance abuse policy with a DUI arrest, but Lewis seemed to hold the door ajar for him.

“He has a chance for reinstatement,” Lewis said. “If he dots all his Is and crosses his Ts and does everything asked by the NFL … I believe July 11 is the first date.”

Asked if the Bengals would take Thurman back if he’s reinstated, Lewis said, “We’re wasting air time talking about Odell.”

But he was much more definitive about James after he struggled in the last year of his contract and fellow cornerback Deltha O’Neal, who looks to be coming back in the doghouse after a poor season compounded by a DUI.

“I think it will be difficult for Tory to come back here,” Lewis said. “Deltha has an opportunity. He needs to get himself back together. Get himself back physically. He missed more practice time than game time. He’s a guy that needs to practice. He needs to have a great offseason. He’s dealing with issues off the field he needs to get resolved and fess up as a professional football player and come into his own and become a better every down player and a guy that someone can count on to play that way because he has the ability.”

Speculation is that free safety Madieu Williams can move to left cornerback to take the place of James and 2006 first-round pick Johnathan Joseph can take O’Neal’s spot at right while O’Neal becomes the third corner. Lewis criticized the speculation, but also said that Williams can play corner “if we asked him to,” and his spot will be determined.

As for the biggest question mark on offense, Lewis said third-down back Chris Perry is looking at “a long road” back from surgery for a broken fibula in which plates were inserted in his lower leg. Lewis said the Bengals won’t draft a speed back in response to Perry’s injury, but he acknowledged with Kenny Watson, the other third-down back, headed to free agency the Bengals have to make sure they have someone to back up Johnson.

Responding to the concern that Johnson’s 3.8 yards per carry needs an explosive partner, Lewis said he’s looking for better blocking from 1,000-yard wideouts Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Although he did hint he’s aware of Houshmandzadeh playing the last month with four small broken bones in his back.

“If we do a better job blocking at wide receiver, Rudi will have (better) yards per rush. Those five-yard gains that turn into 12-yard gains, 12 that turn into 20,” Lewis said. “(The receivers) have to improve as complete football players. We all know that.

“We had guys injured and beat up, but when they look at it, they, they feel bad about it because they’re embarrassed from it,” he said. “ We have fine players at wide receiver in T.J. and Chad who understand the responsibility. They’re better football players than that.”

Which is Lewis’ message aimed at chemistry. He says this team has talent enough but that it is the “gap in professionalism” that resulted in the three losses that ended the season and took the Bengals out of the playoffs.

“We had too many guys worried about their next contract. We knew that was going to be an issue going into the season,” Lewis said. “We tried to educate them. ... You’ve got to be able to overcome that ... that’s part of your chemistry. That had nothing to do with losing three games. Our professionalism lost us three games at the end of the year. We didn’t do things we normally can do very good.

“Finishing it. Doing it the right way all the time. So we have no motion penalties. So we have no dropped passes. So we don’t have missed assignments on offense or defense. So we can snap the ball, place the ball and kick the ball.”

Lewis said he has spoken to Chad Johnson after he was brought into a Miami police investigation involving a murdered acquaintance in which he’s not a suspect. Lewis continues to counsel Johnson and the rest of his players about being careful who is around.

“I don’t think Chad is keeping that kind of company, but when you are who you are, they can link you to that because they want to carry the story,” Lewis said. “He was disappointed that people put him in there like that. They kind of used his name to carry the story for a few days. That’s unfortunate, but it’s the times we live in. Where a guy’s name can drive something a little bit longer.”

Lewis said it’s amazing how many times a year he has to deal with similar situations.

“(They) have friends, relatives, and people that lose their lives,” Lewis said. “I have probably three or four guys each season that have to go through that traumatic situation that they’re much closer than Chad was with this particular acquaintance.”
Bengals sign Stepanovich
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 16, 2007

Looking to bolster depth at center, the Bengals signed free agent Alex Stepanovich to a one-year deal Friday. The 6-4, 312-pound Stepanovich is a seasoned veteran of 30 starts with the Cardinals and is an Ohio State product Arizona selected in the fourth round of the 2004 draft.

Stepanovich didn’t miss a snap and became the first rookie center in Cardinals history to start every game in 2004. With the coaching change from Dennis Green to Ken Whisenhunt, he was not made a tender offer by Arizona that would have made him a restricted free agent.

It would be nice if this guy turns out to be as good as the last Center we acquired from the Cardinals after they failed to sign him. Anyone know who it was?

Thats right.....Rich Braham
BENGALSROCK
Bengal Cat Wrote:Bengals sign Stepanovich
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 16, 2007

Looking to bolster depth at center, the Bengals signed free agent Alex Stepanovich to a one-year deal Friday. The 6-4, 312-pound Stepanovich is a seasoned veteran of 30 starts with the Cardinals and is an Ohio State product Arizona selected in the fourth round of the 2004 draft.

Stepanovich didn’t miss a snap and became the first rookie center in Cardinals history to start every game in 2004. With the coaching change from Dennis Green to Ken Whisenhunt, he was not made a tender offer by Arizona that would have made him a restricted free agent.

It would be nice if this guy turns out to be as good as the last Center we acquired from the Cardinals after they failed to sign him. Anyone know who it was?

Thats right.....Rich Braham

Not sure about this signing, I mean they already had Guaiciuc who did pretty good after he got a few games under his belt last year. I believe they were also still fairly high on Ben Wilkerson too.

Yet, while they're out signing a backup center, the already porous defense is losing guys left and right, and they're still not signing anyone new for that side of the ball. They are going to have use every single draft pick on defense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Not sure about this signing, I mean they already had Guaiciuc who did pretty good after he got a few games under his belt last year. I believe they were also still fairly high on Ben Wilkerson too.

Yet, while they're out signing a backup center, the already porous defense is losing guys left and right, and they're still not signing anyone new for that side of the ball. They are going to have use every single draft pick on defense.

It never hurts to have depth on the line. Last year was a classic example of that.. I'm not totally sold on Ghiaciuc at this point. He performed well, but they definitely missed Braham. I'd rather get someone now and let him go ahead and learn the blocking schemes. Then if Ghiaciuc were to go down, he is already familiar with the system.

I think most of the draft picks will be spent on defense, which won't hurt my feeling one bit.