Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario
bucslover68 Wrote:No definite coach in waiting, but a favorite for the job would be a current staff member IMO. I believe coach is 64 if I am not mistaken and this is his 34th year at Belfry. His record at Belfry is 354-99.

Wow. I would have guessed he was pushing 70.
KYHSFB Wrote:No Matney love?

No.
Haywood is obviously a wizard but he is too close to retirement to be in the running for a new coaching position. Man has to be in his 70s
swampdonkey Wrote:Haywood is obviously a wizard but he is too close to retirement to be in the running for a new coaching position. Man has to be in his 70s

Maybe some man is in his 70’s, but I know for a fact that Haywood is not. Belfry is very blessed to have him.
Coach Haywood started as a student teacher at Tates Creek in 1972. He then spent 9 years at Prestonsburg and is in his 34th season at Belfry. With a rough estimate assuming he was students teaching at 22 he should be right around 67 or 68.
I correct myself I think he is 66-68 lol. Hard to pin it down.
If I'm just picking for one year? Give me the legend Coach Haywood without any hesitation.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Haddix... I would say Dixon. but by what it said, Dixon just left.
1. Dixon
2. Haddix
3. Chirico
4. MacNamee
5. Herron

I also think Chris MacNamee is kind of getting overlooked here.

Outside of Dixon he is about the only "somewhat young" Coach in the Mountains who has coached a ring onto his finger.

Chircio and Haddix haven't even made it to the Finals yet. No denying they are top tier coaches who built their programs, but I haven't seen MacNamee mentioned.

Obviously if age wasn't a factor Haywood, Hilton, Matney, French, Hines, etc would be in the running. Dixon is not a spring chicken but I still think he has 10+ years in him for sure and the drive to start a program from scratch.

Also Shawn Thompson would be on my list but Wayne County is not in the Mountains.
Eric Ratliff. Played for legendary Jack Hall, Spent time trying to build the minor programs in the Mountains, (ER, Magoffin, Jenkins, PCC, SV). Had a lot of success as an assistant coach at Sheldon Clark in the 90's. Showed what he would do with a lackluster program when given resources at Shelby Valley. Always respect the guys with the hot hands, but how many of them really have been in the same situations?
Chirico, personally because Haywood is nearing the end of his career and Chirico is just getting started.
Haddix no question don’t care about legends, this young man will be a legend give him time. He is great and builds great staffs.