Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turf to Grass ratio in your basketball region
I know this is the football forum, but for the purpose of this topic, basketball regions are better to use based on geography.

My home region is the 15th. We are as deep in the heart of East Kentucky as you can get. If you would have told me ten years ago that the Turf to Grass ratio would be almost 2:1 for, I would have never believed it. There are sixteen schools in the 15th, but only fifteen offer football (The Piarist School does not offer football). Of the fifteen, nine have turf & six have grass. If the school does not have NO beside their name, then they have turf.

57th
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Magoffin County
Paintsville - NO

58th
Floyd Central
Prestonsburg
Betsy Layne
Lawrence County - NO

59th
Pikeville
Shelby Valley
East Ridge - NO
Jenkins - NO

60th
Belfry
Phelps - NO
Pike County Central - NO

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but seeing this many schools in the 15th having turf is incredible. Going from having some of the worst fields in the entire state just a short time ago, to having an almost 2:1 Turf to Grass ratio is mind boggling.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Only 2 schools that make up the 13th region in basketball have turf, Bell County and Harlan County.
Be nice to get lights at Williamsburg.
1st region 10 football schools. All grass except for McCracken County. So 9 to 1 grass over turf
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I know this is the football forum, but for the purpose of this topic, basketball regions are better to use based on geography.

My home region is the 15th. We are as deep in the heart of East Kentucky as you can get. If you would have told me ten years ago that the Turf to Grass ratio would be 2:1 for, I would have never believed it. There are sixteen schools in the 15th, but only fifteen offer football (The Piarist School does not offer football). Of the fifteen, ten have turf & five have grass. If the school does not have NO beside their name, then they have turf.

57th
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Magoffin County
Paintsville - NO

58th
Floyd Central
Prestonsburg
Betsy Layne
Lawrence County - NO

59th
Pikeville
Shelby Valley
East Ridge - NO
Jenkins - NO

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Pike County Central - NO

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but seeing this many schools in the 15th having turf is incredible. Going from having some of the worst fields in the entire state just a short time ago, to having a 2:1 Turf to Grass ratio is mind boggling.

Phelps should have NO beside it they have grass
I thought East Ridge had turf?

Anyways, In the 14th:

No football teams:
Cordia
JBS
Lee County
Owsley County
Wolfe County
Jackson City
Riverside Christian
Buckhorn

No Turf:
Breathitt County
Knott Central
Powell County
Estill County
Leslie County

Turf:
Perry Central (2013)
Hazard (2008)
Letcher Central (1st to get turf in 14th - 2005)

50% of schools in the 14th region do not offer football.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Phelps should have NO beside it they have grass

I thought Phelps got a new field/stadium.
Cordia has No Football....No Gym and now No...Cafeteria. Pretty sad
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I thought Phelps got a new field/stadium.

They did but it's grass
2nd Region (Henderson, Madisonville, Hoptown, Christian County, Caldwell, Trigg Co, Crittenden, etc)

ONE turf field- Fort Campbell

3rd Region
Three
Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic (them and Kentucky Wesleyan College share the same facility and both shared expenses), Muhlenberg County

4th Region
TWO
Warren East, Warren Central (Greenwood and then South Warren will have it within a few years or less)

5th Region
TWO
Elizabethtown and Nelson County

12th Region
ONE
Boyle County
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I know this is the football forum, but for the purpose of this topic, basketball regions are better to use based on geography.

My home region is the 15th. We are as deep in the heart of East Kentucky as you can get. If you would have told me ten years ago that the Turf to Grass ratio would be almost 2:1 for, I would have never believed it. There are sixteen schools in the 15th, but only fifteen offer football (The Piarist School does not offer football). Of the fifteen, nine have turf & six have grass. If the school does not have NO beside their name, then they have turf.

57th
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Magoffin County
Paintsville - NO

58th
Floyd Central
Prestonsburg
Betsy Layne
Lawrence County - NO

59th
Pikeville
Shelby Valley
East Ridge - NO
Jenkins - NO

60th
Belfry
Phelps - NO
Pike County Central - NO

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but seeing this many schools in the 15th having turf is incredible. Going from having some of the worst fields in the entire state just a short time ago, to having an almost 2:1 Turf to Grass ratio is mind boggling.
I remember Sheldon Clark having a mudhole Smile
pjdoug Wrote:I remember Sheldon Clark having a mudhole Smile

Sheldon Clark had the worst field in the United States.

But give credit to SC, they loved "The Rock". That was a tough place to play.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Sheldon Clark had the worst field in the United States.

Fleming-Neon circa the late 70s-90s could compete with the rock to be honest. Both were pretty miserable places to play.

Pulp, have you ever been to Nicholas County's field. I thought it was worse than Sheldon Clark's field.
pjdoug Wrote:I remember Sheldon Clark having a mudhole Smile

geauxtigers75 Wrote:Fleming-Neon circa the late 70s-90s could compete with the rock to be honest. Both were pretty miserable places to play.

Westside Wrote:Pulp, have you ever been to Nicholas County's field. I thought it was worse than Sheldon Clark's field.

I've never been to Nicholas County's field, Westy. Can you round up some pics?

I do remember hearing stories about F-N's "Dust Bowl".... never attended a game there, but Sheldon Clark's field would be a mud hole in the middle of a drought. Some say their field was a Black Hole that could be used to travel to other galaxies.

it was tough as a fan watching my team lose to them in the mud at The Rock. lol
Westside Wrote:Pulp, have you ever been to Nicholas County's field. I thought it was worse than Sheldon Clark's field.

I think they have a new field maybe. Played there couple of time many years ago. WOW
Turf sucks. It's always sucked. It sucked when it was astro turf, it sucked with rubber pellets, it still sucks now.
Nothing looks better or nicer than beautiful Bermuda that is well kept.
Much rather hit the ground with grass than turf
This is what football is meant to play on! [attachment=o3561]
Right click on image to increase size. BTW this Is Knott Central's Patriot Field at Dr. Gene T. Watts/Bank of Hindman Stadium.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Turf sucks. It's always sucked. It sucked when it was astro turf, it sucked with rubber pellets, it still sucks now.

I can see how you especially would develop this view after being around Whitley's field, year in and year out it's one of the best kept fields in the state, it always looks immaculate.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Turf sucks. It's always sucked. It sucked when it was astro turf, it sucked with rubber pellets, it still sucks now.
I agree, turf sucks. It really really sucks! Grass is better!
8th region.
Collins, South Oldham and Simon Kenton
geauxtigers75 Wrote:I can see how you especially would develop this view after being around Whitley's field, year in and year out it's one of the best kept fields in the state, it always looks immaculate.

And I know why Perry fans would much rather prefer turf after playing in that old field of theirs.
However, all grass fields should look like Whitleys. The majority of teams that have grass fields though look like Whitley practice field. If you have anyone that knows anything about how to keep a football field looking good, it's not that hard. If I'm not mistaken, Whitley janitors mowed Whitleys with a zero turn when in was there. It wasn't some horticulture genius. Not sure who keeps it up now, but its always been a great field.

I would like to add a field can be ruined before grass is ever sewn into it if you don't shape it and drain it just right. Getting grass to grow is easy. Making sure the field will drain and is sloped correctly is the hard part.