Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Tournament
And the ones that push it are those that don't win district championships. Middlesboro won the district , beat us, now wants classification so they can win region again? You guys want to win region again bring back Bill Powell. Don't lobby to play Pineville, Williamsburg and Lynn Camp.
^
Case in point.
Big schools and there fans will never want to see it classed. Hanging district title banners every year would be harder playing the same size schools our of lex and surrounding areas.

As I said before, it will happen. That's inevitable. I just wish the khsaa would go ahead and make the move.
First of all, Bill Powell isn't coming back. He has moved to Lexington where his children now live.

Secondly, I wouldn't expect anyone from the bigger schools to agree with this push. I would personally be more a proponent of just two classes. Those schools traditionally in classes 4, 5, and 6 in football would be in one class and those in 3, 2, and 1 in the other. Middlesboro has always had great baseball talent. That said, their school has reduced in size significantly even in the last 15 years. Yes they usually develop a couple of top tier players but you really see it come into play when they have to go deep in their staff and in the bottom of their batting lineup. Look at the regional champions from the last decade in the 13th:

2016 - KC
2015 - SL
2014 - SL
2013 - NL
2012 - SL
2011 - Clay Co.
2010 - Clay Co.
2009 - SL
2008 - Bell Co.
2007 - NL
2006 - SL
2005 - Corbin
2004 - Rockcastle

I'm just pointing out that in our current system, it is incredibly difficult for the small schools to have a prayer. I'm not whining or complaining, just stating fact. Kentucky has never been accused of being a progressive state though so we may end up being the very last state to make a change.
I'm even in favor of leaving the districts the way they are. Then classing the region and state tournaments. Do a blind draw for the teams in the region tournament and go from there.
It doesn't bother me that we don't have classes but I would love to see the region go to a best out of 3 format. I know it will never happen but its two much to do with luck of the draw currently. Harlan can be better than Corbin in one game due to a stud pitcher, but who thinks they win a 3 game series?

Everything opened up perfectly for North drawing Barbourville and then getting Middlesboro without their top 2 pitchers and they blew it honestly. Makes me think they have been overrated this season. In a 3 game series I would take Corbin, Knox, Middlesboro, and South over North without hesitation.
Middlesboro won a region title this year, print your shirts and hang the banner. Won a district title , hang your banner. Then this offseason work on hitting and you can win the last region tournament. One of your fans said the coach needs to work on baseball instead of football. Maybe you would have won it if he had? IDK
Flicka, if you will reread my original statement, I said in the event that the All A ceases to exist after next year, something should be done. Even then, the All A isn't sanctioned by KHSAA. The statement about football is hilarious. You weren't kidding when you said...IDK.
Flicka Wrote:Middlesboro won a region title this year, print your shirts and hang the banner. Won a district title , hang your banner. Then this offseason work on hitting and you can win the last region tournament. One of your fans said the coach needs to work on baseball instead of football. Maybe you would have won it if he had? IDK

Another point of the disadvantage...girls from North and South are one sport players because of the size of school.
Those girls play 150 summer games a year to get better. Smaller schools don't get that opportunity
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Flicka, if you will reread my original statement, I said in the event that the All A ceases to exist after next year, something should be done. Even then, the All A isn't sanctioned by KHSAA. The statement about football is hilarious. You weren't kidding when you said...IDK.

It will be picked up by another sponsor
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Flicka, if you will reread my original statement, I said in the event that the All A ceases to exist after next year, something should be done. Even then, the All A isn't sanctioned by KHSAA. The statement about football is hilarious. You weren't kidding when you said...IDK.

Why does Smith coach football?
Truthhurts Wrote:Smith needs to get out to middle school football practice that he knows nothing about. When his team can't hit. Way to go Smith!

MHSP4life ,Just passing on info , if you can read.
Flicka Wrote:MHSP4life ,Just passing on info , if you can read.

Truthurts is a bell parent and middle school football coach himself. He knows absolutely nothing about baseball. Middle school football at Middlesboro lasts about 3 months and I know for a fact that he still works with baseball guys after practice.

Bill Powell was an assistant high school football coach early in his career. He also coached middle school football for a few years (during years he won regional titles). In 2002, he coached a regional champion golf team while also leading the baseball team to the Final Four that same year.

What I'm saying is, coaching middle school football was not why this team lost in the semifinals. Him not coaching wouldn't have helped the third baseman catch an easy throw that would have saved them from giving up two runs.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Why does Smith coach football?

Small system with very few teachers interested in coaching at that level. Him doing it is much better than getting some daddy out there.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Truthurts is a bell parent and middle school football coach himself. He knows absolutely nothing about baseball. Middle school football at Middlesboro lasts about 3 months and I know for a fact that he still works with baseball guys after practice.

Bill Powell was an assistant high school football coach early in his career. He also coached middle school football for a few years (during years he won regional titles). In 2002, he coached a regional champion golf team while also leading the baseball team to the Final Four that same year.

What I'm saying is, coaching middle school football was not why this team lost in the semifinals. Him not coaching wouldn't have helped the third baseman catch an easy throw that would have saved them from giving up two runs.

Maybe , maybe not....a full fall of hitting ,I promise would have help get more hits and runs needed to win the game. Neither here nor there, we both are gone and out. Good luck to North.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Another point of the disadvantage...girls from North and South are one sport players because of the size of school.
Those girls play 150 summer games a year to get better. Smaller schools don't get that opportunity

Why do smaller schools not have an opportunity to play summer ball? Playing one sport is a choice. Many girls at North grow up wanting to only play softball, because of the programs success. Summer ball involves time and money, which is completely provided by parents, or in some cases, the girl themselves. Norths players are spread out between several different travel teams, they don't all play together. North has always had top notch pitching because parents forked over big bucks for individual instruction!
I thought I would check out the one sport thought. Out of North's starting nine, two also play basketball, one plays soccer, another plays volleyball, so basically about half are softball only. Also, like Walter White said, players do play summer ball, but spread out over a number of teams, and its certainly not unusual for players from other area teams to be teammates. Owens from Clay for example is playing with a Laurel Co. based team this summer, only four NL players are on the team.
We've got into this debate one to many times.
The bigger schools have more money as well.

I'm not going down this road again.
They will be classed. That is inevitable. The only question is when.

And when it does happen, I expect laurel county to miss a region every so often.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be classed don't get so defensive. I was just giving some info. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a class system, not because it's not justified, but because it's so much easier for the KHSAA to administer a one-class, one-site state tournament. Nobody has ever accused them of doing anything that might add a little to their workload.
They may one day get classed but not in our lifetime
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:We've got into this debate one to many times.
The bigger schools have more money as well.

I'm not going down this road again.
They will be classed. That is inevitable. The only question is when.

And when it does happen, I expect laurel county to miss a region every so often.

Money from the school has ZERO to do with summer ball. At least not at North. Summer ball is funded entirely by parents and players. These travel teams fundraiser, they get no financial backing from the school. I know this all too well!
Smith is the man. Let all his teams hit under .250 stop stating facts. Imagine what could happen with the extra time spent on baseball. No way you can win a region being head baseball coach and head middle school football coach FACT.
Truthhurts Wrote:Smith is the man. Let all his teams hit under .250 stop stating facts. Imagine what could happen with the extra time spent on baseball. No way you can win a region being head baseball coach and head middle school football coach FACT.

Powell did it in 99. Sooooo, I guess it's not really a fact, right?
walterwhite Wrote:Money from the school has ZERO to do with summer ball. At least not at North. Summer ball is funded entirely by parents and players. These travel teams fundraiser, they get no financial backing from the school. I know this all too well!

I don't think he was referring to summer ball when citing that bigger schools have more money. Every single school in the regional tournament had an on-site indoor hitting facility besides Middlesboro and Barbourville. High tech pitching machines and training aids. I'm guessing that was what he was referring to.
ky playmaker Wrote:They may one day get classed but not in our lifetime

I'm gonna say within the next decade.
All the khsaa will have to do is put it up for a vote and it will easily get 2/3 of the vote.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I don't think he was referring to summer ball when citing that bigger schools have more money. Every single school in the regional tournament had an on-site indoor hitting facility besides Middlesboro and Barbourville. High tech pitching machines and training aids. I'm guessing that was what he was referring to.

It was, but speaking of summer ball.
Doesn't it make sense that larger city players have parent with more money. Higher cost of living

In other words, more parent in London can afford it then in Pineville.

There are just so many variables for the move to classification.