Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region rumors.
Anyone heard rumors about coaches or players changing schools?
I heard mccombs is leaving but you might be able to confirm or deny for us as I hear South was a possible destination... Asher from clay is shopping. I heard one coach was offered a nice opportunity but I haven't heard if they are taking it or not (don't want to spread something I shouldn't). Lastly I heard Akal is now just boys. That covers most of what I have heard.
Don't know about the 13th ,but have heard there is at least one girl leaving Hazard or feeder school to go to Shelby Valley.
McCombs is a good player, Knox lost their coach last year, then let the 1st hire go during the summer before hiring this years coach. Tough situation. Shelby Valley has a good program, only kid from Hazard that could potentially get playing time there is the Caudill kid but SV doesn't play anything like Hazard so not sure that would be in her best interest.
Olred. I heard the same about Akal and Toni. I also heard Madison Hicks was leaving Corbin. Do you know anything about that one? You gotta tell us about the coaching job you're talking about. Does it have to do with Harlan City?
From what I here Macie Gibson is coming to South if so they will have a shot to win the whole thing.
Kuz. If Gibson goes to South they'll be a powerhouse. Already are a powerhouse but you know what I mean.
Asher would be crazy to go to North she would be like the 6th or 7th best guard on that team
Heard Asher was also considering Harlan City.
Kuz Wrote:From what I here Macie Gibson is coming to South if so they will have a shot to win the whole thing.

Big wishes and dreams. There is no way she leaves Owsley. Owsley returns all five starters and first 8. Eighth graders Lynch and Murray showed they are elite talents during district and regional games. With a year of varsity experience behind them they are ready to shine. She knows she has a shot at district and regional titles next year at her home school. In addition an injury free year and she breaks the scoring and rebounding records at her home school. If that's not enough there is also loyalty to her team and school.
Funny how all this insider information gets out. Probably an anonymous source. Google Bobby Knight and anonymous source and he will explain what that means.
I heard Gibson has a connection with coach walker, that is hard to believe he would recruit though. He seems like a stand up guy. I don't believe that. She would make them a heck of a team though.
If she was leaving why wouldn't she have gone to another 14th Region team though. We all know they would kill for her.
Heard mention that Asher may also be looking into Owsley. Put her with Gibson and the other young talent they have and they'd have a dandy team.
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Big wishes and dreams. There is no way she leaves Owsley. Owsley returns all five starters and first 8. Eighth graders Lynch and Murray showed they are elite talents during district and regional games. With a year of varsity experience behind them they are ready to shine. She knows she has a shot at district and regional titles next year at her home school. In addition an injury free year and she breaks the scoring and rebounding records at her home school. If that's not enough there is also loyalty to her team and school.
Funny how all this insider information gets out. Probably an anonymous source. Google Bobby Knight and anonymous source and he will explain what that means.

Sounds like your an Owsley guy. I've never got to see her play they say she's the real deal I would hate to lose a player like that to
I love this time of the year... everyone is always talking about leaving. It rarely ever actually happens in the 13th though. I will bet that Asher stays at CC. Why would she leave? Playing time, nope! Starting, nope. The only reason would be to leave that playing style which I don't blame but who moves schools over that.
Kuz Wrote:Sounds like your an Owsley guy. I've never got to see her play they say she's the real deal I would hate to lose a player like that to

I am an Owsley guy. And yes she is the real deal. Not worried about losing her though.
Boogie Wrote:Heard mention that Asher may also be looking into Owsley. Put her with Gibson and the other young talent they have and they'd have a dandy team.

Put her with Gibson and the two eighth graders. Owsley would be 14th region favorites.
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Put her with Gibson and the two eighth graders. Owsley would be 14th region favorites.

Have to agree, maybe she sees more of an opportunity to play for region title at Owsley in the 14th. I think a region title would be harder to come by at clay in the 13th.
In the 14th she would be a huge addition to any of them. Solid guard... I had heard Leslie county as well as a destination. Like I said I don't think she goes anywhere.
I don't think any of the girls mentioned go anywhere. McCombs u hear this every year. She stays where she is as usual I think. South does have some help coming if something don't change. Long time till June.
Who will take Akal place at Harlan City next year?
Olred Wrote:I love this time of the year... everyone is always talking about leaving. It rarely ever actually happens in the 13th though. I will bet that Asher stays at CC. Why would she leave? Playing time, nope! Starting, nope. The only reason would be to leave that playing style which I don't blame but who moves schools over that.

Playing style, wow! Clay isn't the pound it to the post team of old. They are completely guard oriented. Shoot lots of 3's. If the style of play you are referring to is slowing it down, ball control, possession basketball, which gives you a chance to WIN every game, then I don't see it. With the group of
girls coming through the system the next couple years, Clay has a great chance at a regional title! Plus Burchell is the BEST coach in the region! The grass ain't always greener somewhere else. I see someone "stirring the pot" on a message board! Come on, Red, give it a rest!
Not stirring matter of fact I actually was saying the opposite. I only used her as an example of all of them and I was saying she doesn't have much reason to leave. I also don't believe she leaves and for good reason. Which is what I said in my previous posts. I hated that style growing up and hate watching it as an old fan now. Like you said it for sure is a style that gives a team a chance to beat a team with even more talent. I just meant that in that style players rarely like it unless your the main player with the most freedom. I have nothing but respect for what burchell does and that is one of the reasons I respect him is that he can get players of today's culture to buy into that. I hate that you took my comments as a "stir the pot" way as actually I meant them the opposite. I'm no Clay County fan but respect is for sure earned from me. The grass ain't always greener comment reminds me of... "the grass may be greener but do you want to pay the other mans water bill".
I apologize to you Olred. I'm just not a big fan of naming kids in rumor threads. Any transfer issues, just like "hold back" issues, are between parents and kids. Again, I offer my apology to you.
No apology necessary... I just love talking ball.
Heard today that the Knox county job will be open after the state tournament.
Wow haven't heard or been told anything about that any other rumors or anything
Coach03 Wrote:Heard today that the Knox county job will be open after the state tournament.

I wonder if the board at Knox will figure out that maybe its Canday whos the problem and not all the coaches hes going threw.
You cant build a team in 1 or 2 seasons and you don't get rid of coaches for having success.

Getting the kids they do from a county like Knox they should be absolutely thrilled they've been as successful as they have.

If they change girls coaches again, then there will never be any hope with that AD.
From what I've heard, the Asher girl's dad has went crazy and has gone to almost every coach in the region, shopping his girl. He wants a coaching job. He hates Burchell and the Mathis kid at Clay Co. He talks to anyone that will listen and puts down the Mathis kid. Apparently, he doesn't like that his daughter is playing behind Mathis or anyone else on Clay's team, even though she starts. Its going around that him and Mahan have been talking on the phone a lot. She may end up at North Laurel if Mahan continues to tell him what he wants to hear. Maybe Mahan can handle him. lol Sounds like he is basically Lonzo Ball's father. loll
You're right a RIUTG. Can't change coaches like socks. Unless it's warranted. But if it's warranted that often, you might have not done a good job in hiring.

These are things that you should look at .
1. Did the team progress
2. How did they do compared to the level of talent
3. how many games did they win that they weren't the best team
4. How many games did they lose that they were the better team
5. What is the level of participation. Are girls leaving or joining the program
6. Is the coach a good rep of the school beyond basketball.

I'd say if the answer is positive on 3 or more you keep. If the answer is positive on 2 or more you think. If the answer is positive on less then 2, make a change.