Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Champs and other players leave Floyd Co.
If Mr. Webb wants to make sports "important" then he needs to hire a proven winner with head coaching experience for the Floyd Central job! Besides bringing the student athlete "together" as "one" the new coach will have to be able to deal with the "adults" from both communities! As soon as 3 kids from Allen Central and 2 kids from South Floyd start a basketball game the parents will start crying or claiming "favoritism"! It will take a strong personality to coach both the kids and the parents!!!!!! The hires for the new football and basketball coaches will be huge!!!! I hope Mr. Webb gets it right from the start and stays away from the buddy system.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:100% acceptance to college doesn't mean 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate.

I will say that is something to be very proud of for Paintsville.... but a 1A school with a small graduating class can have numbers like that when a certain amount of their students go to BSCTC or someplace like that.

You can belittle it all you like, but a teacher or nurse with a degree from Big Sandy make the same money as teachers and nurses from Morehead for example. They just have less debt after school. I feel even acceptanceis a huge accomplishment.
I don't really know why you would put someone down for trying to better themselves and get an education at any institution whether it is at a community college or at the University of Kentucky. Not only are there numerous quality professors at Big Sandy but it is also extremely affordable to students (especially impoverished students) from Eastern Kentucky. In this area I would congratulate anyone trying to further their education. I know Pulp can be an easy target for many on this site and I'm trying to not pile on. However, that comment really annoyed me. I hope you didn't actually mean the way it sounded.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:100% acceptance to college doesn't mean 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate.

I will say that is something to be very proud of for Paintsville.... but a 1A school with a small graduating class can have numbers like that when a certain amount of their students go to BSCTC or someplace like that.

OffTheHook Wrote:Dont get me started Pulp. I for one can speak personally of the Paintsville Education preparation for college.
Few close people know the story and if any want to hear it face to face. I will be more than happy to share it with you. Trust me....this one's a nerve striker.
Paintsville educators are second to none.

Basketballmom41 Wrote:You can belittle it all you like, but a teacher or nurse with a degree from Big Sandy make the same money as teachers and nurses from Morehead for example. They just have less debt after school. I feel even acceptanceis a huge accomplishment.

Mister D Wrote:I don't really know why you would put someone down for trying to better themselves and get an education at any institution whether it is at a community college or at the University of Kentucky. Not only are there numerous quality professors at Big Sandy but it is also extremely affordable to students (especially impoverished students) from Eastern Kentucky. In this area I would congratulate anyone trying to further their education. I know Pulp can be an easy target for many on this site and I'm trying to not pile on. However, that comment really annoyed me. I hope you didn't actually mean the way it sounded.

I didn't say anything to downgrade Paintsville's academic standards on any level. Like I said in my original post, a 100% college acceptance rate doesn't equal 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate. I know several teachers and administrators in the Paintsville School System, Chuck McClure was my basketball & football coach when he was at Meade Memorial back in the 90's, I go to church with Paintsville's A.D..... I'm not saying they aren't some of the best in their field. All of the yearly testing numbers show Paintsville is always one of the best in the tested subject matter.

I graduated from BSCTC with an Associate in Applied Science, so I'm not trying to 'belittle' anybody from attending any type of institution of high learning. I paid (not mom & dad or scholarship money) for every single penny of my classes at BSCTC. That expensive piece of paper is proudly displayed in my house and landed me a great career.

A neutral party that didn't know who I was or what team I support, would read that original post and have to agree with what I said.
A small graduating class each year should have a very percentage rate of students getting accepted to college. I realize that you can't make somebody attend college, high schools are responsible for getting their students prepared for life after graduation, no matter what path they take. If Paintsville could say their class of 2016 had a 100% college attendance rate and those students are still enrolled or their class of 2014 had a 100% graduating rate this coming Spring or Winter semesters, or those who haven't graduated are still in school, then yes, Paintsville by far would be the best non-private high school in the United States.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I didn't say anything to downgrade Paintsville's academic standards on any level. Like I said in my original post, a 100% college acceptance rate doesn't equal 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate. I know several teachers and administrators in the Paintsville School System, Chuck McClure was my basketball & football coach when he was at Meade Memorial back in the 90's, I go to church with Paintsville's A.D..... I'm not saying they aren't some of the best in their field. All of the yearly testing numbers show Paintsville is always one of the best in the tested subject matter.

A neutral party that didn't know who I was or what team I support, would read that original post and have to agree with what I said.
A small graduating class each year should have a very percentage rate of students getting accepted to college. I realize that you can't make somebody attend college, high schools are responsible for getting their students prepared for life after graduation, no matter what path they take. If Paintsville could say their class of 2016 had a 100% college attendance rate and those students are still enrolled or their class of 2014 had a 100% graduating rate this coming Spring or Winter semesters, or those who haven't graduated are still in school, then yes, Paintsville by far would be the best non-private high school in the United States.

Pulp, we love talking about Paintsvilles Great academic achievements. But, now let's talk about your school!!! What percentage of students go on to college from JC. As a matter of fact answer us this question, what percentage of students that start high school at JC actually graduate JC?

Now there is no doubt that JC has brought all of there sports teams and I mean all of them to the highest levels. And to do so your school system has let everything else go to hell.

So if you want to continue talking about Paintsville then I'm sure we can find some interesting things to talk about from your school.
Mountian Man Wrote:Pulp, we love talking about Paintsvilles Great academic achievements. But, now let's talk about your school!!! What percentage of students go on to college from JC. As a matter of fact answer us this question, what percentage of students that start high school at JC actually graduate JC?

Now there is no doubt that JC has brought all of there sports teams and I mean all of them to the highest levels. And to do so your school system has let everything else go to hell.

So if you want to continue talking about Paintsville then I'm sure we can find some interesting things to talk about from your school.
I don't have the information you are asking about.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Northern boys having a go at it for their respective institutions.
Starbucks Wrote:If Mr. Webb wants to make sports "important" then he needs to hire a proven winner with head coaching experience for the Floyd Central job! Besides bringing the student athlete "together" as "one" the new coach will have to be able to deal with the "adults" from both communities! As soon as 3 kids from Allen Central and 2 kids from South Floyd start a basketball game the parents will start crying or claiming "favoritism"! It will take a strong personality to coach both the kids and the parents!!!!!! The hires for the new football and basketball coaches will be huge!!!! I hope Mr. Webb gets it right from the start and stays away from the buddy system.

Stop trying to start trouble where there isn't any. These boys are friends. They have been since little league; even played a few AAU games without any problems. If someone thinks they will lose a starting position well then they better be giving 110 percent in practice to earn it back. It will only make the team better. We need a coach to play the best players possible. Bringing the parents into it is petty. The don't need to be handled. They are also friends. So there's that.
Not trying to "start trouble".....It is easy to say "bringing in the parents is petty", during March...Let's reflect back to this post next February....Everything will fine as long as "little Johnny" is getting his playing time....Let's state some facts....99% of any coaches problems are "parents". (and "YES" they will need to be handled). I truly want Floyd Central to be successful in all sports because when two communities consolidate sports can and will bring them together to build a sense of pride! Once again, not trying to "stir the pot" but....I just live in the real world and understand sports. Like I said...Let's check back next February to see how things are going.
You're talking like two schools have never consolidated before. Yes your post was about the parents was very petty. If you want FCCHS to be successful then why did you post something so negative? In the real world huh? It doesn't matter if it's September or March petty is petty. If little Johnny want more playing time he better hustle.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I didn't say anything to downgrade Paintsville's academic standards on any level. Like I said in my original post, a 100% college acceptance rate doesn't equal 100% college attendance or a 100% college graduation rate. I know several teachers and administrators in the Paintsville School System, Chuck McClure was my basketball & football coach when he was at Meade Memorial back in the 90's, I go to church with Paintsville's A.D..... I'm not saying they aren't some of the best in their field. All of the yearly testing numbers show Paintsville is always one of the best in the tested subject matter.

I graduated from BSCTC with an Associate in Applied Science, so I'm not trying to 'belittle' anybody from attending any type of institution of high learning. I paid (not mom & dad or scholarship money) for every single penny of my classes at BSCTC. That expensive piece of paper is proudly displayed in my house and landed me a great career.

The ultimate greaser can't stand it then tries to backpedal, keep up the great work :hilarious:
Why so much hate? I will never understand.
These are kids and I personally could care less where they go to school whether it's JCHS PHS SCHS LCHS etc....
If kids are great athletes and can further their Education in College through sports that's great.
If kids love academic's and can get Scholarships to further their Education in College for being intelligent than that's great also.
I live in Jo Co my kids go to Jo Co schools and I have to say that Jo Co School System has some of the best Teachers in the State and my kids love them
But I also have family that has attended PHS and SCHS and LCHS and they say the same thing as I do about Jo Co schools
So no doubt in my mind that that these Schools has some of the best Educators in the State as well.
It's good to have Rivals among same County Schools and out of County Schools.
But these kids are just that "Kids"
It's the Adults that get so angry and upset, if one school does better than the other.
I for one am Happy to see all kids Excel in whatever they choose to do after HS.
Do I like for Jo Co to Win at whatever sport is being played at the time? Yes
But I also enjoy seeing kids from other schools excel and Win at whatever it is that they do as well.
We need to remember,these kids have friends in other schools that they are no doubt close to
So why do we as adults try to interfere with that.
I know this post may be a little off subject but regardless where our children attend school or even if they transfer to other schools,be happy for them and support them instead of trying to cause trouble all time.
I don't like seeing children leave or transfer to other schools regardless if it's for academics or sports but it happens everywhere and if anyone tries to say it doesn't than you are wrong.
But once again we as adults need to Pray for them and wish them nothing but the best.
But this is JMO GN Everyone
Khsaa should put a stop to it
Did Betsy Layne principal, Casandra Akers, get forced out by Webb since this email went viral or did she quit on her own? Seems like coaches and administrators are now quitting on Webb or being released by Webb over this email that was sent. Interesting developments in Prestonsburg and betsy Layne schools since this post was first started.
Fake news!
Earp, every time I post something you holler Fake News. I guess Webb is posting fake news now on his district website then now. My previous post was asking a question. Here read the article...
http://www.floyd.kyschools.us/cms/One.as...d=22290602
Earp, when are you going to wise up and learn all this has been true that has been posted on this link. All Of It.... you are getting Trump tweets and this confused.
Pop have you researched Cassandra retiring and not being forced out? The email was sent which is true and I know who handed it over to others. Not Cassandra. Floyd Central scheduled pikeville twice in basketball and are currently working to play Paintsville twice. I don't believe he is costing anyone their teaching job or administrator jobs. You know coaching is a one year contract and if changes are made then so be it however again Pop they are not losing their jobs with the board. I'm going to read some more though because I would really enjoy getting wiser!
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Pop have you researched Cassandra retiring and not being forced out? The email was sent which is true and I know who handed it over to others. Not Cassandra. Floyd Central scheduled pikeville twice in basketball and are currently working to play Paintsville twice. I don't believe he is costing anyone their teaching job or administrator jobs. You know coaching is a one year contract and if changes are made then so be it however again Pop they are not losing their jobs with the board. I'm going to read some more though because I would really enjoy getting wiser!

Earp is correct. Akers announced her retirement before the email was leaked.

It is very funny to me though, after the email leak, Webb has decided to tuck tail and run, rather than making true to his promise of not scheduling Pikeville and Paintsville.

Earp, since you have the inside track which of the 4 leaked the email?
I think sometimes anyone can be human and rush into something. The only thing I believe that would come out of that would be hurting kids and they are not to blame. I always enjoyed the games with both pikeville and Paintsville in the past. Floyd Central kids will be looking forward to playing Pikeville and Paintsville and I'm sure that is their thinking also. Anyone can look at that email and decipher where it was leaked and I was wondering to myself that this was fake news !
I think the KHSAA should make tougher restrictions on transfers and athletics. This stuff has just gotten way out of hand. I think the hard fast rule should be a bonafide change of address. That means that if you own a home, you put it up for sale and move to the district your child is in school at. You legitimately put it up for sale, not just a cardboard sign. You either purchase a home or rent a place in the district you are sending your child in. Monitor the situation and make sure this is actually happening. I mean there have been kids video taped getting rides to other schools and they lived far away from there. I just think its out of hand. You want you kid to go somewhere else, fine, but you legitimately have to live there. JMO.
poppypi2015 Wrote:Did Betsy Layne principal, Casandra Akers, get forced out by Webb since this email went viral or did she quit on her own? Seems like coaches and administrators are now quitting on Webb or being released by Webb over this email that was sent. Interesting developments in Prestonsburg and betsy Layne schools since this post was first started.

Wouldn't be surprised if she isn't the girls HC at FC
Nope
Here is a solution some other states have. Once a in-state student enters a high school they one opportnity to transfer. So, you better make it a good one. Listening to other people discuss this topic and issue, they think it is funny that certain administrators get upset when students transfer because those same people transferred when they were in high school.
poppypi2015 Wrote:Did Betsy Layne principal, Casandra Akers, get forced out by Webb since this email went viral or did she quit on her own? Seems like coaches and administrators are now quitting on Webb or being released by Webb over this email that was sent. Interesting developments in Prestonsburg and betsy Layne schools since this post was first started.

Negative.

Mrs. Akers has contemplated retiring for a couple years now so this was not the reasoning.
Thirsty Dog Wrote:Here is a solution some other states have. Once a in-state student enters a high school they one opportnity to transfer. So, you better make it a good one. Listening to other people discuss this topic and issue, they think it is funny that certain administrators get upset when students transfer because those same people transferred when they were in high school.

Im never one to really take sides on the transfer issue.... I will say that yes it is kinda funny hearing coaches and admins complain about transfers when they themselves happily took them in the past. I remember one kid who bounced back and forth between two different schools about three times years ago. The coachs was happy to take him but then pissed and moaned and cried foul when he went back. :dontthink

True. Also, do keep in mind that all community colleges in KY can actually accept/admit applicants who don't even finish high school. Applicants who merely sign a document asserting their intention to take the GED may be accepted on a contingency basis.

Not trying to impugn Paintsville Schools at all, but many/most of these school systems' self-appointed accolades dissolve pretty quickly under even the most modest forms of scrutiny.

A more recent one that most KY school systems use to pat themselves on the back asserts that "100 percent of our graduates have been certified 'college or workforce ready,'" lol. Look that one up. It's a hoot!
Gitback Coach Wrote:True. Also, do keep in mind that all community colleges in KY can actually accept/admit applicants who don't even finish high school. Applicants who merely sign a document asserting their intention to take the GED may be accepted on a contingency basis.

Not trying to impugn Paintsville Schools at all, but many/most of these school systems' self-appointed accolades dissolve pretty quickly under even the most modest forms of scrutiny.

A more recent one that most KY school systems use to pat themselves on the back asserts that "100 percent of our graduates have been certified 'college or workforce ready,'" lol. Look that one up. It's a hoot!

About 30% of the population in the United States has a 4 year college degree. Many more students drop out or fail out of colleges than graduate. There are many reasons for this, so I am not going to blame the preparation in high school for that. I went to a high school that at the time was part of a district that was deemed to be one of the worst in Kentucky and I am graduating with a doctorate in May. Of course I am not one that makes or takes excuses. The issue of transfers has nothing to do with "Academics" it's to play a sport, period. Most of the time parents transfer their kids there on the hopes, and in many cases, the "promise" of an athletic scholarship. Sadly, the ones promising these scholarships aren't the ones giving them out. I have known several kids to transfer in my career and not 1 single kid has been offered anything above NAIA, not 1. Colleges don't offer scholarships because of the program, either you can play at that level or you can't. Transferring schools isn't going to change that.