Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolfe County 46. Breathitt County 41
Coach Hoskins Carroll and the Lady Wolves pick up a big win tonight against district rival Breathitt County.

What's happened to Coach Bates and his squad? Really rough last couple of weeks.
Looks like it was a great game. Good luck to both teams. Breathitt will right the ship
Breathitt and Coach Bates have packed it in for the year looks like. See a coaching job opening in the near future.
I keep hearing one of Peggy moore's former player's name ,is being tossed around over there.
Who would that former player be? I didn't know any of her former players coached? It would be good to get some tradition back into the program.
I have heard that Breathitt is looking for a volleyball coach as well.
its not good over there, I've only watched them once an that was on TV an they have some players with negative attitudes. So I can understand why they are struggling. But there coach has a lot of energy an they will get over this last couple of weeks.
Breathitt County is lucky to have Wallace Bates, Kyle Moore, & Robert Amis. It's not 1995 anymore. BHS doesn't have 700+ students, or a strong working class because the jobs have left. So there's just not the athletes that they once had. The decent athletes that are left are far superior to the other students in the building, so they do not really have to work hard and will still get to play. Same thing in the boys' sports. Nobody in their right mind would coach at BHS unless that was just their only option, or they're a local person with children that play.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Breathitt County is lucky to have Wallace Bates, Kyle Moore, & Robert Amis. It's not 1995 anymore. BHS doesn't have 700+ students, or a strong working class because the jobs have left. So there's just not the athletes that they once had. The decent athletes that are left are far superior to the other students in the building, so they do not really have to work hard and will still get to play. Same thing in the boys' sports. Nobody in their right mind would coach at BHS unless that was just their only option, or they're a local person with children that play.
That is just an excuse! Buckhorn has the same problem, but their coaches get 110% out of their kids girls and boys. It's all in the coach and what they can get out of the kids. :please:
mountain hoops guru Wrote:That is just an excuse! Buckhorn has the same problem, but their coaches get 110% out of their kids girls and boys. It's all in the coach and what they can get out of the kids. :please:

In many places that is the case. But you cannot change people that do not want to change. Politics and personal interest have hurt BHS for years. Too many people living in the past, expecting Farice Woods results. BHS won five consecutive regional championships from 1959-1963, another in 1967 under wood, with three of those teams advancing to the state tournament semi-finals. BHS won two regional titles in the 1970s, two in the 1980s, and their last came in 1996 under Roscoe Denny who was not rehired the very next season.

How many times was James Turner fired and rehired? Glenn Napier, Roscoe Denny, Steve Banks, and Chris Baker all did admirable jobs but politics or football got them fired or put them in a situation where they did not want to be, or have to be.

Girl's basketball has had similar runs 1977 and 1978 regional champs, state runner up in '78. 2007-2010 under Peggy Moore with Kendall Noble playing.

At least at Buckhorn a coach can actually "coach". The community and administration seem to support those coaches. Since 1989 Buckhorn's boys basketball team has won 3 regional titles to BHS's 1. Despite not having near the enrollment. If a coach at BHS attempts to get 110% out of a kid, more than likely that kid will either quit, transfer, or the coach will not be rehired.