Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County 2017
Whats this team got returning. Will the defense still be strong? Are they settled into a single QB system yet?
I think the QB situation is settled. They lose A TON of experience and tallent with that senior class and that LB corps was the heart and soul of their defense. They will be young but they have good tallent in the jr class to be and numbers are good in the weightroom I hear. This will be the first year they have had a real weight program and I think that will pay off big time. Imo, the key to GCs success is baby steps. Grizzle breathed new life into the program and built off of Mullins success. They had a winning record last year for the first time in what seems like an eternity and imo, the next step is getting wins within the county and beating Ashland. If I know Scott, the Ashland game is already circled and is the game he likely wants to win the most. Scott knows what it means to build a program the right way and coming from Raceland, he knows it takes time and small victories to reach the over all goal of being a consistent program. Greenup will have some rough patches early on, but I think they will end up with another winning season and possibly over take the number 2 spot in the district.
Greenup County finished 1st place at the 2017 "Show of Strength" Weight Meet on Saturday.

1. Greenup
2. Wheelersburg
3. Raceland
4. Perry Central
Greenup County fans, I said it last year and I'm gonna say it this year.

#BeatAshland
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I think the QB situation is settled. They lose A TON of experience and tallent with that senior class and that LB corps was the heart and soul of their defense. They will be young but they have good tallent in the jr class to be and numbers are good in the weightroom I hear. This will be the first year they have had a real weight program and I think that will pay off big time. Imo, the key to GCs success is baby steps. Grizzle breathed new life into the program and built off of Mullins success. They had a winning record last year for the first time in what seems like an eternity and imo, the next step is getting wins within the county and beating Ashland. If I know Scott, the Ashland game is already circled and is the game he likely wants to win the most. Scott knows what it means to build a program the right way and coming from Raceland, he knows it takes time and small victories to reach the over all goal of being a consistent program. Greenup will have some rough patches early on, but I think they will end up with another winning season and possibly over take the number 2 spot in the district.

I agree. It may take a scrimmage and a couple of games to get going with people in varsity roles but they will be ready come district time. I do believe the Ashland game will settle 2nd place in the district the next 2 years and maybe beyond depending upon realignment. Both have good incoming junior classes.
The fact that Scott has established an offseason program is already paying off for the Muskies...Raceland and Russell, better be ready.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:The fact that Scott has established an offseason program is already paying off for the Muskies...Raceland and Russell, better be ready.

They never had an offseason program with Mullins?
They did but nothing in the way of a true strength and conditioning program. They lifted, but not at the level they are now. Much more organized and effecient.
Mullins wouldn't even go to a JV and freshman games and there are was no legitimate off season program.
Greenup has a long way to go but at least they finally have a coach who wants to put the in the time.
To say that Mullins never had a real offseason program would be inaccurate. 7th-11th grades have always been working in the offseason within the weightroom and with football related drills. Saying otherwise means that you simply don't know. Greenup always has been competitive at The Show of Strength and it was only a matter of time when they unquestionably couldn't be denied the title. The team is loaded with both talent and strength in all classes and should be consistently competitive for quite some time.
To say they are loaded shows that you don't know .. they are in the same boat as Raceland a lot of holes to fill with kids that don't have much varsity experience
12-Aug EKC GRID vs BATH COUNTY (H)
18-Aug Lewis County (H)
26-Aug Russell (A)
1-Sep Fleming (A)
8-Sep Raceland (A)
15-Sep Lawrence County (H)
22-Sep East Carter (H)
29-Sep Rowan County (A)
6-Oct Johnson Central (H)
13-Oct Ashland (A)
20-Oct Boyd County (H)
NoPicks Wrote:12-Aug EKC GRID vs BATH COUNTY (H)
18-Aug Lewis County (H)
26-Aug Russell (A)
1-Sep Fleming (A)
8-Sep Raceland (A)
15-Sep Lawrence County (H)
22-Sep East Carter (H)
29-Sep Rowan County (A)
6-Oct Johnson Central (H)
13-Oct Ashland (A)
20-Oct Boyd County (H)

I see 5 wins in here with a 6th possible. The good news is 3 of the 5 are district wins and will put them in the #3 spot. The 3 road games in a row early, although not long trips, will test them as they are against solid teams. East and Rowan to start district play is big as that should take the playoff pressure off. Boyd Co at home to finish should be good as well.
I would say Lewis , Rowan , east Carter and Boyd are solid as wins. Johnson central is the only team they can't compete with the games that will determine if they have a really good year or down year is Russell , Raceland, Ashland if they win 2 or more it will be a good year
NoPicks Wrote:Greenup County finished 1st place at the 2017 "Show of Strength" Weight Meet on Saturday.

1. Greenup
2. Wheelersburg
3. Raceland
4. Perry Central

Heard Perry only took 4 kids.
Starters lost
Wright wr/rb c
Clarke wr/s
Collier lb
Warnock rb/lb
Craycraft dl/ol
Jackson rb/de
Ailster wr/de
Angel c
Adkins ol/dl

Starters returning
Sammons qb
Hunt qb/wr/s
Urbina ol
Thomas wr/lb
Greene wr/c
Rowe ol
Kelly wr/s
Tolliver ol/dl
Neace ol
Davis k/p
Greenup had a very good defense the last couple of years especially at linebacker and a lot of those guys are gone they have some big shoes to feel
I will be seeing them at the grid. Plan on a game report and pics. Most likely on going to put them on here
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I will be seeing them at the grid. Plan on a game report and pics. Most likely going to put them on here
Corrected.
Cody tolliver should be a beast on the dline this year. Halstead will be a solid rb. Eli sammons maybe the best young qb talent in the state. With most of his oline returning he should put up big #'s.
Coupon21 Wrote:Cody tolliver should be a beast on the dline this year. Halstead will be a solid rb. Eli sammons maybe the best young qb talent in the state. With most of his oline returning he should put up big #'s.
Lots of questions on their defense this year. Any news on whats left over after a strong graduating class last year.
Brecken thomas lb. Will be one of the better lb's in the area. Plays sideline to sideline as well as anybody.
Greene will be back at cb.
Tolliver returns on dline along with Evan Urbina.
Chase Hunt and patrick kelly back at safties.
Kids will have to step up at lb and de.
They had a solid little team last season, will they be as loaded this season or better??
Apples to apples, they are in similar shape to what Raceland is. The spots to replace are different, but they both lose big x factors from both sides of the ball. Both will need to have some young guys step up, but they have the skill and tallent to do so. Greenup, like Raceland, will likely take a small step back and have to rebuild a little bit this season, but will be very well coached and prepared and by seasons end will be competing with just about everyone not named Johnson Central.
Lots of weapons at wr and one of the best young qbs in the state. Who will have a break out season this year?
Look for Eli Sammons to have a huge year.