Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell vs Owsley
64-60 Powell county. What happen to the owls? A bad loss. Street Outlaw?
Lady Owls were in complete control until Macie Gibson fouled out one minute into the 4th quarter. Owsley was up around 10 or 12 when that happened. She picked up a 4th foul and moments later was called for a charging foul. Finished with 22, 14 points below her average. Without her in the game the girls, many who are 8th grade or 9th, struggled.Owsley also was without the Lynch girl who is their guard that does most of the ball handling, and averages around 11 or 12 per game. She's only eighth grade but is quick and good with assists and defense.
They led this game for probably 90% of the time but when Macie went to the bench it was rough sledding the rest of the way.
If she had 4 and they were up 12, why was she in the game starting the 4th? Sounds like Powell did a good job on her.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:If she had 4 and they were up 12, why was she in the game starting the 4th? Sounds like Powell did a good job on her.

She picked up both fouls early in the 4th, pretty close together. It happened quick. I suppose with a double digits lead the thought was to leave her in and hopefully keep the lead safely in double figures and chance she didnt foul again.Sometimes those chances work, sometimes they dont.
Powell did what about all teams have done to defend her, double team her and triple if necessary. They really missed the little Lynch girl. Even though she's young she's a big help beating presses, which is what kept Powell in the game. The Owls turned the ball over way too many times. Lynch would have certainly been a big asset in handling the press somewhat better.

These young girls will be fine. They're getting great experiences right now in tough games that will pay dividends in February and March. I think they're still the best team in the district when they're at full strength.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:64-60 Powell county. What happen to the owls? A bad loss. Street Outlaw?

Not really. If Owsley was at full strength I would agree. However, Lynch didn't play tonight. She is Owsleys best on ball defender and their press breaker. They really missed her play making especially in the open floor. On top of that their starting two guard played sparingly because of an injury. Add to that they played without Gibson for most of the fourth.
Even through all of that Owsley was in control for three quarters and was close to opening up a 15+ point lead on 2/3 occasions. I am not worried about the young owls. These are all just learning experiences for feb/march. Last night they learned several lessons that will help them down the road.
So it was a good loss?
Big Hammer Wrote:So it was a good loss?

I am not a big believer in a good loss but I guess you could say that. In the sense that it doesn't mean anything in Feb when it really matters, and the fact that a young team is growing and getting better through these experiences. Don't forget a 14 and 10 young PCC team learned lessons and made a run last year. It's all about building to win a district and region.
Streetoutlaw, what do you think about the Powell/Lee County matchup? How do the Owls typically play against Lee?
Big upset!! Powell is tough over there anyway! Pcc may have all they can handle Saturday !
hillbilly cat Wrote:Big upset!! Powell is tough over there anyway! Pcc may have all they can handle Saturday !

PCC by 20+
Dr.Basketball Wrote:PCC by 20+
hopfully ur right!!!
Streetoutlaw Wrote:I am not a big believer in a good loss but I guess you could say that. In the sense that it doesn't mean anything in Feb when it really matters, and the fact that a young team is growing and getting better through these experiences. Don't forget a 14 and 10 young PCC team learned lessons and made a run last year. It's all about building to win a district and region.
Well we agree on that. Any game you play win or lose can be used to teach and improve your team. That responsibility falls on the coach, and Napier has proven over the years that he can do that. More than the wins and losses or the ability to be a floor coach that impresses me. Hopefully Owlsey's team has that kind of coach
Passtheball Wrote:Streetoutlaw, what do you think about the Powell/Lee County matchup? How do the Owls typically play against Lee?

I would give lee the advantage over Powell on the back of Kash but will be a tough game especially at Powell. I feel like the Powell guards will have trouble containing the lee guards.

Games between Owsley and lee are always tough. It's a rivalry game for both and each gives the other their best shot. That game will come down to who can impose their will on the other. Can lee match up with Gibson and Murray inside. Can Owsley guards contain Kash and hold lee 3's to a low number.
So they are opposites, that will make an interesting matchup. Looks like they play 1st game in All A.