Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Class 1A Preseason Rankings
1 Beechwood- They are top dogs until beaten. They return quite a bit of talent as well and maybe the best QB in class A.

2 Hazard- They return several playmakers and just as much as anyone and should be loaded the next two years for sure and with the top rusher in Class A returning for his senior season he will hope to lead the dawgs to back to Bowling Green along with others who will be hungry next season to avenge their loss in 2016.

3 Paintsville- They may lose there big time playmakers but their is plenty of talent still there and defensively is why I have the tigers in the 3 spot. They have solid playmakers returning but finding the QB to get them the ball will be the question.

4 Pikeville- They lost some valuable seniors but their talent is not lost. They will be young but with a QB like they have their offense will be solid and will keep defenses off balance. The question for them will be how will there line and young playmakers hold up.

5 Williamsburg- They may return more than anybody and will have playmakers all over the field. They only lost 4 off 2016s and it's possible they could be a number higher at 4 but they will have to prove it first.

6 Raceland- They lose a talented and deep senior class but will have talent returning and rumor of a QB transferring in has hopes high again but not as high as 2016. They may have the best reciever in class A returning and he is very dangerous to take it to the house. Their line play will tell how good the Rams will be in 2017 and QB play and if they have can develop a running game.

7 KCD- They have a shot to be just as good last season and experience returning but will they move to a passing game more or keep to a rushing attack. They will have an experienced QB an big target at wide out and a speedy running back. Defense is were they will need to improve.

8 Louisville Holy Cross- Pretty young team this past year but in 2017 they will have plenty of experience back and it helps to have a 1000 yard rusher returning and your starting QB and a few kids capable of catching the ball out of a balanced offense.

9 Russellville- They lost a bulk load of talent. But with there type of offense they get kids plenty of touches and most of the younger kids got some touches in the blowouts from 2016. They must have a kid step up and fill the roll of the QB and be able to run the offense correctly or Russellville won't be too much at all. They are the favorite still in their district until beaten but it won't surprise me to see them fall as I think them and Crittenden are in for a good battle in 2017.

10 Bracken Co- They wanted respect last year for their success but they got manhandled in the playoffs by an undermanned Fairview team. But this teams brings back over 2000 yards on the ground and solid receivers who catch the ball in a run heavy offense. They also return a QB with experience as they had two kids run the offense last season.

Teams on the outside that are looking in

Frankfort
Crittenden Co
Bethlehem
Paris
Bishop Brossart
Lynn Camp
Russellville will find a way to be better than #9.
mysonis55 Wrote:Russellville will find a way to be better than #9.

I hope so. They lost a crap load. But I can't see them being better than at least 7 right now.
Did Fairview lose that much ?
Big Five-0- Wrote:Did Fairview lose that much ?

They lost a lot.
Looks like solid placement for this 1A Class! Good job Bac!
1-2-3 are all capable of winning it all. One of these three should be the champion. But theres always someone thats better than expected.
This year as always strong defense is the key. Hazard and Paintsville will be the best on that side of the ball with Beechwood close. Offensively Beechwood and Hazard should be most dangerous along with Pikeville.
All Class A schools must avoid injuries, they just do not have the depth to overcome them like the bigger schools.
Overall, I really can't argue with this as it stands. Pretty fair and balanced way too early rankings. Lol
Paintsville will have one hell of a year.
Eastern Ky well represented in these rankings
Likely to be the case for awhile. Russellville will trend back up over the next few seasons. They lost alot but always have alot of atheletes and KCD always seems to have a few years that they lay dormant only to come back with a run of their own. I cant see anyone beating Beechwood or Hazard except for Beechwood and Hazard in 2017. But, its HS football and anything could happen. But I dont expect the top 10 to change much next year outside of positions swapping and i think one of the top 2 will win it all, 3/4 could knock them off, 5/6 could catch someone sleeping. But i dont think the top ten field will be as competitive next year. More mid round play off blow-outs imo for next year. In the west games wont be good till the semis, if even that. In the west it wont start until the region games. Now, saying that, the 2/3 seed first round games good end up being fun to watch. Im just sittin and wondering what team will be 64s darkhorse next year. Prolly Williamsburg lol
Big Five-0- Wrote:Did Fairview lose that much ?

Lost all they had leftover from the previous year. They will be very young at all positions and lose alot of size and their numbers will be down more so than last year if i am not mistaking. Had issues over the last few years with jv/frosh/jv numbers.
bac2369 Wrote:1 Beechwood- They are top dogs until beaten. They return quite a bit of talent as well and maybe the best QB in class A.

2 Hazard- They return several playmakers and just as much as anyone and should be loaded the next two years for sure and with the top rusher in Class A returning for his senior season he will hope to lead the dawgs to back to Bowling Green along with others who will be hungry next season to avenge their loss in 2016.

3 Paintsville- They may lose there big time playmakers but their is plenty of talent still there and defensively is why I have the tigers in the 3 spot. They have solid playmakers returning but finding the QB to get them the ball will be the question.

4 Pikeville- They lost some valuable seniors but their talent is not lost. They will be young but with a QB like they have their offense will be solid and will keep defenses off balance. The question for them will be how will there line and young playmakers hold up.

5 Williamsburg- They may return more than anybody and will have playmakers all over the field. They only lost 4 off 2016s and it's possible they could be a number higher at 4 but they will have to prove it first.

6 Raceland- They lose a talented and deep senior class but will have talent returning and rumor of a QB transferring in has hopes high again but not as high as 2016. They may have the best reciever in class A returning and he is very dangerous to take it to the house. Their line play will tell how good the Rams will be in 2017 and QB play and if they have can develop a running game.

7 KCD- They have a shot to be just as good last season and experience returning but will they move to a passing game more or keep to a rushing attack. They will have an experienced QB an big target at wide out and a speedy running back. Defense is were they will need to improve.

8 Louisville Holy Cross- Pretty young team this past year but in 2017 they will have plenty of experience back and it helps to have a 1000 yard rusher returning and your starting QB and a few kids capable of catching the ball out of a balanced offense.

9 Russellville- They lost a bulk load of talent. But with there type of offense they get kids plenty of touches and most of the younger kids got some touches in the blowouts from 2016. They must have a kid step up and fill the roll of the QB and be able to run the offense correctly or Russellville won't be too much at all. They are the favorite still in their district until beaten but it won't surprise me to see them fall as I think them and Crittenden are in for a good battle in 2017.

10 Bracken Co- They wanted respect last year for their success but they got manhandled in the playoffs by an undermanned Fairview team. But this teams brings back over 2000 yards on the ground and solid receivers who catch the ball in a run heavy offense. They also return a QB with experience as they had two kids run the offense last season.

Teams on the outside that are looking in

Frankfort
Crittenden Co
Bethlehem
Paris
Bishop Brossart
Lynn Camp
There is no way you can consider Lynn Camp as an outsider looking in? If so, then the whole Class A is in bad shape. That would just show that Class A is down... Way Down!!!
baller1989 Wrote:There is no way you can consider Lynn Camp as an outsider looking in? If so, then the whole Class A is in bad shape. That would just show that Class A is down... Way Down!!!

Out of the teams I've listed name someone better?
The "class A is down" argument, imo, is 100% valid. But, the reason for that, is the same reason that its making the smallest class more competitive. I think year in and year out in this alignment, the top 5 or 6 teams in the class have a shot at going to the finals. With the top 3 or 4 having a legit shot at winning it all. Those top 3 or 4 teams could be competitive in 2A and 3A. Not saying they could win a title, but they could compete. Same could be said for the next 3 teams. I think in the bottom 3 classes, the top 3 teams could all compete with the class above them's top 3 teams. I do not like the 6 class format, but for what it has been over the last few years, its made the most sense and the result has been teams like Raceland, Paintsville, Williamsburg and Russellville a chance to build up on success. So yes, class A is down. But its leading to more competition within the class itself. Which imo, should be the ultimate goal of the classification system. And for what its worth, and i feel its this way every year. If you rank the teams 1-32, u can essentially break it down into tiers. Tier 1, the top 4 have a shot at the title. Tier 2 the next 3 or 4 could get there, tier 3, legit top 10s but thats as far as it goes. Tier 4 11-20 arent too far off 8-10. Tier 5 are teams that seemingly get lucky enough to field a team.
Lots of People like to pick on Class A bit the point of the matter is if you look at results over the last several years I bet most of the better teams hold or have beat the bigger schools...
Top 4 or 5 class A schools can beat most of the descent 3A and 4A schools.
Raceland has done it for years beating teams like Ashland, Greenup, Russell, ect.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Lost all they had leftover from the previous year. They will be very young at all positions and lose alot of size and their numbers will be down more so than last year if i am not mistaking. Had issues over the last few years with jv/frosh/jv numbers.

Fairview has struggled to field separate middle school teams and had to combine 7th and 8th grade to field a team in recent years. 24 players on last years roster as possibly returning with 12 being incoming Seniors. They may be able to compete this year with 12 Seniors but unless some kids show up they are soon to be in jeopardy.
From what I have heard, their has been a lack of involvment from the varsity HC within the jr high program. Also hear that there isnt much being done in way of "in school recruiting" to get more kids on the field. Its sad, imo, that due to the last staff's actions or lack their off, a coach with alot of potential, is paying the real price for all of that and the school suffere as well because of it.
I think the perception that Class A is down is because there are only about 10 teams that are decent and after that there is a huge drop off. As was said earlier, the top teams in Class A can be competitive with several larger schools but the bottom 2/3 of the class just aren't very good and it is unlikely that most of those teams will be a top tier team anytime soon. I am in no way advocating for the class system to change but in the old 4 class system, 1A was one of the toughest classes in the state simply because it was deep with traditional powerhouses. In the old system, schools like Raceland, Paintsville, and even Pikeville would have been middle of the pack programs and in some years might not have even cracked in the top 10. Again, I am not saying that we should go back to a 4 class system but some schools in 1A have without a doubt benefited from the current alignment.
Absolutely. Not to start kicking the dead horse, but i think 5 classes would provide the best competition. You would however, have alot of bubble teams, especially in the bottom three classes, due to enrollment, and traveling is always going to be a nightmare for certain districts. I think the class that has benefitted most from this alignment has got to be 2A, just looking at a competitive field standpoint. While in 1A, it has allowed some programs the ability to grow a little by getting over the hump so to speak. The western side (real western side) of 1A is due for an upswing soon. Its been a long time since anyone other than Rville had a real shot at knocking one of the top dogs off, one of those top dogs are having success in 2A, so I look for someone out there to start making strides the next few years.