Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region
Hard to declare a favorite due to the top teams sos and only being 2 weeks into the season. But my way to early favorite would be PCC seems like they have good chemistry, team identity, and purpose. Best coach and 2 of the best gym rats around. Heard Hall and Proffitt open and close the gym daily. # 2 KCC/Leslie KCC has the returning talent and new talent will be hard to beat if they gel and develop identity need to learn to win on the road and prob easily 10 deep only problem is regional is not at KCC will find out what Pats are made of over the next 2 weeks. Leslie has a great coach and they always come to play, good guards can drive or hit the 3. Smart sound all around good team. Prob the only 3 teams barring injuries that can win it. Hazard-Owsley-LCC-LEE would be dark horse teams. 14th region MVP Proffitt/Waugh.
Faceballz Wrote:Hard to declare a favorite due to the top teams sos and only being 2 weeks into the season. But my way to early favorite would be PCC seems like they have good chemistry, team identity, and purpose. Best coach and 2 of the best gym rats around. Heard Hall and Proffitt open and close the gym daily. # 2 KCC/Leslie KCC has the returning talent and new talent will be hard to beat if they gel and develop identity need to learn to win on the road and prob easily 10 deep only problem is regional is not at KCC will find out what Pats are made of over the next 2 weeks. Leslie has a great coach and they always come to play, good guards can drive or hit the 3. Smart sound all around good team. Prob the only 3 teams barring injuries that can win it. Hazard-Owsley-LCC-LEE would be dark horse teams. 14th region MVP Proffitt/Waugh.

Exactly what I think.
My top 6 right now:
Knott
PCC
Leslie
Owsley
Hazard
Lee
Streetoutlaw Wrote:My top 6 right now:
Knott
PCC
Leslie
Owsley
Hazard
Lee

How do you have Owsley above Lee when Powell beat Owsley @ Owsley. Lee beat Powell @ Powell. UI
Strikeout King Wrote:How do you have Owsley above Lee when Powell beat Owsley @ Owsley. Lee beat Powell @ Powell. UI

Owsley was missing two starters in Powell game. Was still up 10 when Gibson fouled out starting fourth quarter. Check other like opponents(Wolfe, Buckhorn for example) Owsley has larger win margins in those games by a wide margin.
Just an opinion on rankings not trying to take anything away from Lee. They are a good team.
Estill put it to Knott...I read somewhere Knott was rated 25 points higher than Estill girls...go figure
Same as the player of the region you have people rating them that don't know nothing about the Eastern Kentucky teams or players
What ratings are you talking about?
Streetoutlaw Hazard goes to Leslie and beats them by 10 or 12 at Leslie. We didn't play our best game. No disrespect to the Eagles, but just wondering how you figure they're ranked above us?
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Owsley was missing two starters in Powell game. Was still up 10 when Gibson fouled out starting fourth quarter. Check other like opponents(Wolfe, Buckhorn for example) Owsley has larger win margins in those games by a wide margin.
Just an opinion on rankings not trying to take anything away from Lee. They are a good team.

Fouling out is part of the game. You can't take anything away from Powell when they had a game plan to get her in foul trouble. Take the loss like you are suppose to and quit making excuses. Perry went to Powell tonight and won by 40. Not a good loss for the Owls no matter what happened.
Jackson Wrote:First Tier
1. Perry Central (Great coach, explosive scoring, high basketball I.Q. In the backcourt)
2. Knott Central ( Most talent, interesting to see how the new bigs work in)

Big gap to second tier
Second Tier
Hazard ( Struggling, ACL injury really hurt, have to find inside scoring, bench is limited)
Leslie County (good defensive team, have to find consistent offense)
Letcher Central (good coach/system, make others play ugly, offense struggles)

Third Tier
Breathitt County (season depends on how Brewer returns)
Owsley County (best player in the region, must limit turnovers/ guard play)
Estill County (good nucleus, need more consistency, short on the bench)
Lee County ( good guard and decent post, lacking defensively)
Powell County ( sneaks in after win over Owsley)

Powell "sneaks in a win over Owsley" when Owsley's Macie Gibson fouled out with the Owls leading by 10 points and with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Couple that with Owsley's starting point guard, who is averaging 10 ppg and leads in assists, not in uniform for the game and Owsley lost what would have easily been a 15+ point win. Owsley led for 95% of the game and held a comfortable lead when Gibson, who is the best player in the region imo, fouled out. I know fouls are part of the game, though. It's important she stays out of foul trouble.
I just can't believe the logic of fans. We led almost the whole game till the end therefore it's not really a loss. Our best player fouled out so not a loss. There is a reason the games are timed and they keep score. When the horn goes off and you're behind you lose. No excuses
Dr.Basketball Wrote:Fouling out is part of the game. You can't take anything away from Powell when they had a game plan to get her in foul trouble. Take the loss like you are suppose to and quit making excuses. Perry went to Powell tonight and won by 40. Not a good loss for the Owls no matter what happened.

If you read the post. You will see that I wasn't taking anything from Powell. I was posed a question of why I ranked owsley over lee. His reason for ranking lee above Powell was one game. I Listed my reasons.
And your telling me that if Perry plays a game without Hall and Profitt that wouldn't affect the game. You would drop PCC in ranking with a loss in that situation when they would return next game.
easternky Wrote:Streetoutlaw Hazard goes to Leslie and beats them by 10 or 12 at Leslie. We didn't play our best game. No disrespect to the Eagles, but just wondering how you figure they're ranked above us?

I think Hazard has more talent. However right now Hazard is struggling in last few games.
Big Hammer Wrote:I just can't believe the logic of fans. We led almost the whole game till the end therefore it's not really a loss. Our best player fouled out so not a loss. There is a reason the games are timed and they keep score. When the horn goes off and you're behind you lose. No excuses

Never said it wasn't a loss. Reread post it wasn't about Powell it was about rankings and reason for rankings. I was ask a question of why I ranked the teams. I gave reason for ranking Owsley above Lee. They used the Powell game. And yes missing starters and game situation goes into rankings. Or are you telling me you would drop a PCC team in rankings if they played a game without profitt and she returns next night.
I sure would that's part of the game. Watch teams play in college if monk or fox miss a game and the cats lose they drop. If PCC plays without Hall or she fouls out and they lose because the team don't have another point guard that's a weakness and should be took into account. Just my opinion
Let's turn this thread back to what it was meant for rankings. What's your top 6 Hammer? Then we can discuss the teams.
1. PCC.
2.Owlsley
3.Hazard
4. KCC
5.Leslie
6. Powell
Now you can pick this list apart but tell me the ones you disagree withand Ill tell you my reasoning
I think when you're discussing the region one has to first start with who are the most likely teams to make it to the tournament from their district. That's pretty tough in some districts.

My guess is:

53rd Letcher and Knott
54th Perry and Leslie (but Hazard is close)
55th Breathitt and Wolfe
56th Estill and Owsley (most balanced district, Lee is very good, too, with Kash, the best guard in the region)
Streetoutlaw Wrote:If you read the post. You will see that I wasn't taking anything from Powell. I was posed a question of why I ranked owsley over lee. His reason for ranking lee above Powell was one game. I Listed my reasons.
And your telling me that if Perry plays a game without Hall and Profitt that wouldn't affect the game. You would drop PCC in ranking with a loss in that situation when they would return next game.

Absolutely, they would drop. It's a team sport.. Not one or two players.
Glad to see this back on the right track. Everybody is making some good points. None of us make a living at this, but it is nice to get someone else perspective. In my opinion, at this point in the season, there are 4 teams that appear to be a little ahead od the pack. That's not saying others want improve enough to make a run at the end. I think PCC-Haz-Leslie- KCC. all have a ligit shot at winning the 14th.
[quote=easternky]Glad to see this back on the right track. Everybody is making some good points. None of us make a living at this, but it is nice to get someone else perspective. In my opinion, at this point in the season, there are 4 teams that appear to be a little ahead od the pack. That's not saying others want improve enough to make a run at the end. I think PCC-Haz-Leslie- KCC. all have a ligit shot at winning the 14th.[/QUOTE
My Bulldogs have the pieces but , being about to put it together is going to a big problem! We have selfish play going on if we learn it isn't always one numbers we will be right there at the end.
Kcc another team that has to learn how to win on the road! They seem give up in tight ballgame situations.the last two seasons were very similar to this one so far very talented players ,but still having trouble with the players getting along.
Leslie has great team play an very good coaching staff, I look for them to up set some poeple, but doesn't have enough horses to get it done in the end!
Pcc Has got the two guards that flat out play! But what happens to them if one gets hurt. A district or regionl game with foul trouble? , Does a coach come up with game film an figure out how to stop them? It's Pcc' to lose!
Leslie was off the Hazard game, every team has a few of those games and unfortunately for them it was their 1st game. Hard to win when you shoot 14 for 54 but I think they are right in the mix now. It depends so much on the regional draw, PCC got their worst match up the first game last year and it was one and out. Injury to any key player changes any team in the 14th. Lee, Estill and Owsley could easily make a run come tourney time. Will be interesting to see how the teams do over the next couple weeks competing outside the region. Good luck to everyone!
I personally think that the 14th Region is a toss up and dare I say the 56th district is the most competitive with Lee, Owsley, and Estill equally as good as the other in my opinion. Not saying its the best district. If I had to rank the teams who I think have a legitimate shot to win the region, it would go as follows:

1. Perry Co Central
2. Knott Co Central
3. Leslie Co
4. Hazard
5. Lee Co
6. Estill Co
7. Owsley Co
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Big Hammer Wrote:1. PCC.
2.Owlsley
3.Hazard
4. KCC
5.Leslie
6. Powell
Now you can pick this list apart but tell me the ones you disagree withand Ill tell you my reasoning
Pcc
KCC
Hazard
Leslie
Owsley
Lee
Snow Wrote:Dang. We know you think the are the best. But, best at every position (including coaches)?

Never said best at every position but did say solid. Read the post!!!!!!
In my opinion Perry,Leslie ,knott,letcher,Breathitt , hazard
Tell me how Profitt get eligible?? How many school has this girl gone to??
She got eligible the same way every transfer gets eligible. Sent her paperwork to the KHSAA and they approved it. Please don't hate on Proffitt she is a straight A student, a Christian girl, and one of the nicest kids you'll ever meet. She also plays a little basketball. We should be proud her and a lot of other good kids are from this area
LadyCat12 Wrote:Tell me how Profitt get eligible?? How many school has this girl gone to??

I don't blame the Lady wildcats for being upset about losing this much talent. Especially after what Paintsville has been doing this season. #scared