•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2017
I tend to agree that Belfry will be somewhat of a mystery......especially to the rest of the state. Pirate fans that follow closely, know they've got tons of talent in the wings. Line development on both sides of the ball will be paramount......and much of that development can only come from game experience. The one thing that I've noticed....the underclassman are highly competitive and very confident in their abilities. They're not afraid of hard work. Fortunately....we have plenty of returning kids in place to provide quality leadership. I still think we'll have some growing pains early......but.....the road to Kroger Field...at least in my opinion....will run squarely thru Belfry
belfry will Repeat again .
Wrangler Wrote:belfry will Repeat again .

I totally agree
I sure hope you guys are right about a repeat! It will all come down to the offense/defensive lines. If those guys can live up to the way they played in middle school and the way they played on the freshman/JV team and mop up duty then I think we will be fine. Belfry is just as strong in the other areas as they were in the past 3-4 years. It's all going to come down to our line play whether they repeat or not and keep this amazing streak of championships alive.
Who do you Belfry fanatics think will be starting on the O-Line and D-Line this year?
Reluctant to list any potential names...because I wouldn't want to leave some one out. However.....I think there are a couple that are more obvious than others. IMO, Lawson will man one of the tackle positions and Rash will be at either Guard or Center. Beyond that...I'm about afraid to say. I think there are 5-6 kids that have a real shot at major playing time for the other three interior line spots. In fact....we might see a fluid rotation of kids for the first few games before the final rotation is locked down. Defensively.....I think every spot may be up for grabs on the line.
OL: T Lawson G Rash C Wolford G Arbagast T Thacker
Only 3 definites are Rash, Lawson, and Wolford
Also names being mentioned are Cochran and a possible return by N.Ratliff
COACHITALL Wrote:OL: T Lawson G Rash C Wolford G Arbagast T Thacker
Only 3 definites are Rash, Lawson, and Wolford
Also names being mentioned are Cochran and a possible return by N.Ratliff

I agree with your lineup COACHITALL. That's exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure about the other Tackle spot opposite Lawson. Defensive Line is a total mystery to me right now though.
Lawson, Rash, and Wolford I agree are the three sure names. I will also say I think Lawson and Rash end up playing on Saturday's at some level before it is all said and done.

We also left off TE... in Belfry's Offense TE is essentially a third Tackle.

Braxton Miller seems a logical choice here.
TE is just an extension of our O-Line. And I agree, Braxton is my choice here also. Not only is he a good football player but he's also a great kid. Braxton will play a hugh role in Belfrys success this year.
The scary part is this line will average 6'3 290 and no seniors
COACHITALL Wrote:The scary part is this line will average 6'3 290 and no seniors

Is that before or after Lawson's transformation this Off-Season?

From what I gather he has shed a lot of weight and significantly improved his mobility.
Seen where Jacob Baisden transferred to Mingo as well, would have been some big blows if Rash and Browning would have actually left to go along with Baisden and Barker.
Not sure if anyone has posted anything on this yet but if not I just wanted to give this kid some well deserved recognition. Belfry RB Taveon Hunter has picked up his first offers to play football at the next level. He has received offers from Morehead St. and West Virginia State University's. Congratulations to him and the Belfry football family. Hopefully we'll see more of his teammates start getting offers in the coming months. Goodluck to Taveon and the rest of the Pirates on a injury free and successful season and I look forward to watching them work to bring home #5 in a row!
Calprep Preseason Rankings Top 15:
1 Trinity
2 Scott Co
3 Johnson Central
4 CAL
5 PRP
6 Lafayette
7 Bowling Green
8 Male
9 St. X
10 Christian Co
11 Corbin
12 Ryle
13 Belfry
14 Covington Cath.
15 Kenton
Belfry Opponent Rankings:
3 Johnson Central
66 Bryan Station
74 Pikeville
88 Newport Cent. Cath.
126 Lawrence Co.
133 Pike Central
201 Floyd Central
211 Sheldon Clark
We don't really care where were ranked the fact of the matter is we can beat most of the ones ranked ahead of us we'all show ya lol
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:We don't really care where were ranked the fact of the matter is we can beat most of the ones ranked ahead of us we'all show ya lol

If your talking about the Kentucky opponents Belfry plays this year, I'm with you. I can see them going 8-0 with those teams but more than likely they'll go 7-1. Johnson Central may be a little to much this year. But if your saying that Belfry can beat most of the team's ahead of them, the top 12, then that's a little to much. As Chris Carter would say, "C'mon Man"! Your talking about the cream of the crop 6A schools on that list along with Bowling Green and others. But I will say this, I don't think Corbin should be ahead of Belfry, yet. At least until they earn it. And that means coming to Belfry and beating them in the playoffs. That is if they both make it far enough to play each other.
Well as far as JC goes it will be a battle but this same bunch as JV they never beat us we put a running clock on them one time Trinity, BG, maybe St.X the rest big guy were just as good I can't wait to get this season started I don't want it to go to fast because me son is a senior this year but I can't wait to show everybody were still a great team by any standards
Hope your right on the JC game, should be a good one. And I never said Belfry wasn't still a great team. In my opinion, their still the best in 3A hands down. I just don't think their near as good as the 5A and 6A powerhouses in Kentucky. I don't think they were last year either. But that's just my opinion. I think Belfry will have a rough start opening up but will settle down come playoff time and be the favorite to win it all again. Especially Corbin having to come to Belfry and play. I don't think whoever comes out of the West can beat us.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Calprep Preseason Rankings Top 15:
1 Trinity
2 Scott Co
3 Johnson Central
4 CAL
5 PRP
6 Lafayette
7 Bowling Green
8 Male
9 St. X
10 Christian Co
11 Corbin
12 Ryle
13 Belfry
14 Covington Cath.
15 Kenton

CAL over Bowling Green?? Idk how much stock I'd put into these rankings
CoachNM0523 Wrote:CAL over Bowling Green?? Idk how much stock I'd put into these rankings

I thought the same thing about Bowling Green when I saw this. Also, I don't think Corbin should be ahead of Belfry either. But it is just a pre-season poll. Something to kick things off with. When it's all said and done, probably won't look nothing like this.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I thought the same thing about Bowling Green when I saw this. Also, I don't think Corbin should be ahead of Belfry either. But it is just a pre-season poll. Something to kick things off with. When it's all said and done, probably won't look nothing like this.

Yeah it should shake up pretty good. That was the biggest one that jumped out to me tho. 2A CAL over 5A Power house BG.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Yeah it should shake up pretty good. That was the biggest one that jumped out to me tho. 2A CAL over 5A Power house BG.

CAL will be legit. I still think BG will be the class of 5A, but I think they take a small step back this year.
#55PirateFan Wrote:If your talking about the Kentucky opponents Belfry plays this year, I'm with you. I can see them going 8-0 with those teams but more than likely they'll go 7-1. Johnson Central may be a little to much this year. But if your saying that Belfry can beat most of the team's ahead of them, the top 12, then that's a little to much. As Chris Carter would say, "C'mon Man"! Your talking about the cream of the crop 6A schools on that list along with Bowling Green and others. But I will say this, I don't think Corbin should be ahead of Belfry, yet. At least until they earn it. And that means coming to Belfry and beating them in the playoffs. That is if they both make it far enough to play each other.

I agree with everything you said :insane:
when do they have there 1st practice?
cuppett777 Wrote:when do they have there 1st practice?

I think they start the 24th
well the 1st 3 yrs when I left and moved and went to the finals they lost and last 4 yrs I didn't go and they won.so if they make it this does anyone want to pay me to stay home,lol
cuppett777 Wrote:when do they have there 1st practice?

Equipment and meeting on the 17th......first practice on 18th (next Tuesday)
Looks like the Offensive Line cupboard at Belfry still has some talent in it. Belfry Sophmore Ethan Wolford was named Offensive Line MVP at David Jones Football Camp tonight. Proud of this kid. With that said, Coach Jones put on a heck of a camp. Things are looking good in Phelps. New field looks great too. Thanks Coach for all you do for our local athletes.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next