•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2017
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I'm in this for one reason and that is to see kids succeed. I have in the past and will continue to try and help kids from across the state including kids from Belfry. It's a shame when the focus is somewhere else.

Once again I totally agree.
i hear corbin will be really loaded this year and seeing that they almost or should have won this past year, do you think you will be able to beat them?
diceman Wrote:i hear corbin will be really loaded this year and seeing that they almost or should have won this past year, do you think you will be able to beat them?
Should be a much closer game if nothing else. Corbin threw their kitchen sink at Belfry and the Pirates took their best shot then landed multiple knockout blows after making adjustments. No doubt Belfry lost some superstars, but at the same time Corbin has some mighty big question marks of their own (lose AJ moore, several key defenders, and all their RB's). I would say right now... wayyyyy too early..I would call this a toss-up

With that said and just to be blunt... until either Corbin improves their speed on the outside or Belfry graduates their speed backs, I think Corbin will continue to struggle with Belfry's overall run game. The past two years Belfry has averaged probably 15 yards a carry running outside because the Hounds simply didn't have the horses to catch them.

The average stat line between Hunter and Willis the past two years? 8 carries, 174 yards, and 3 TD's per game :yikes:. It wasn't just Belfry that exploited this either, Mayfield has hurt the Hounds with their speed outside in the running game the past two seasons and even Casey County saw success outside last year.

With Hunter back and Wellman still forcing Corbin to honor the inside run, this will be the single biggest variable Corbin will have to answer to continue to close that gap. I think Corbin's offense will give Belfry trouble and expect the Hounds to be stout between the tackles otherwise.
diceman Wrote:i hear corbin will be really loaded this year and seeing that they almost or should have won this past year, do you think you will be able to beat them?

It was close for three and a half quarters 42 to 17 ended up lopsided again so in the end it wasn't close and no I don't think they can beat us next year
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:It was close for three and a half quarters 42 to 17 ended up lopsided again so in the end it wasn't close and no I don't think they can beat us next year

Just going by what some said who were there that said if corbin scores instead of not fumbling or not making it on 4th down, then they beat Belfry.
corbin returns a ton from what i am told
diceman Wrote:Just going by what some said who were there that said if corbin scores instead of not fumbling or not making it on 4th down, then they beat Belfry.

If Corbin scored they may have changed the complexion of the game. No doubt..not sure they win though as Belfry literally was scoring at will once they adjusted to running it outside.

I wouldnt say Corbin returns a ton.. I think they return 6 starters or so each way. They return an EXCELLENT QB in Sizemore but lose several of their complimentary pieces on Offense including by far their most dangerous weapon outside of Sizemore in AJ Moore. I really like the Estep kid they return though and expect a big year from him, going to be interesting if they move him to HB or leave him at WR. The Mitchell kid is a solid receiver as well.

Defensively they have some big holes to fill in their Front 7.

Skill wise and the back half of the Defense Belfry probably returns more than Corbin suprisingly, but Belfry's question marks on the Offensive and Defensive Line are massive right now and have much more uncertainty in those units than what Corbin returns.

I won't say Corbin is loaded, but I do think they will definitely be one of the front runners in 3A
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If Corbin scored they may have changed the complexion of the game. No doubt..not sure they win though as Belfry literally was scoring at will once they adjusted to running it outside.

I wouldnt say Corbin returns a ton.. I think they return 6 starters or so each way. They return an EXCELLENT QB in Sizemore but lose several of their complimentary pieces on Offense including by far their most dangerous weapon outside of Sizemore in AJ Moore. I really like the Estep kid they return though and expect a big year from him, going to be interesting if they move him to HB or leave him at WR. The Mitchell kid is a solid receiver as well.

Defensively they have some big holes to fill in their Front 7.

Skill wise and the back half of the Defense Belfry probably returns more than Corbin suprisingly, but Belfry's question marks on the Offensive and Defensive Line are massive right now and have much more uncertainty in those units than what Corbin returns.

I won't say Corbin is loaded, but I do think they will definitely be one of the front runners in 3A

Thanks
In 2003 we won our first State Title and we lost all but one starter on the line we had replace both sides of the line we came back in 2004 and won it again rebuilding offense and defensive lines is what we do and we have a lot to choose from we may have one or two that have to go both ways but that's 3A football this thing runs through Belfry this year and with the skill players we have I see the same ol song and dance these guys are ready to get it done see ya in Bowling Green
diceman Wrote:Just going by what some said who were there that said if corbin scores instead of not fumbling or not making it on 4th down, then they beat Belfry.

Corbin had a great team I love Sizemore tough kid my kid of football player but they wasn't built for adversity because the first sign of it the game went south for them eventually they will get past it we had to get past it with Central but with what we got coming back and what we already got waiting to play and it being played at the Cam this year I don't think it will be this year with that being said Belfry and Corbin is the two best teams in 3A in 2017 hands down
GO PIRATES
ChasinBucs2017 Wrote:Who will step in and play QB?

Avery Browning get kid good family he's been in the system since midget league
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Corbin had a great team I love Sizemore tough kid my kid of football player but they wasn't built for adversity because the first sign of it the game went south for them eventually they will get past it we had to get past it with Central but with what we got coming back and what we already got waiting to play and it being played at the Cam this year I don't think it will be this year with that being said Belfry and Corbin is the two best teams in 3A in 2017 hands down
GO PIRATES

I wouldn't turn my back on Boyle. IMO, they'll be vastly improved over last year. With a coaching change in the offing for Central.....I look for Boyle to make a big push. Their youth is vastly improving.

Back to the Pirates. IMO, Browning would be the initial choice at QB going into summer camp....if for no other reason than Adkins hasn't played under center since his freshman year. (frosh and JV) If I'm wrong...somebody correct me. No doubt Adkins can be an explosive athlete....and despite winning the title.....Belfry really missed him this past season. In fact...with Adkins in the secondary.....he's an absolute game changer. He looked really strong in the preseason on both sides of the ball.

Belfry's backfield is absolutely loaded with speed and skill kids. I and really mean LOADED. Folks outside of Belfry just don't realize the breadth and depth of the Pirate backfield. 7-10 kids that can absolutely fly.

It's gonna be an interesting spring and summer around this team.
Boyle is going to be strong next season and we really missed Adkins it caused some players to be out of place as for spring and summer the boys will be in the weight room getting ready the coaches already are getting them ready the baseball boys will have to work twice as hard but there all in
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Boyle is going to be strong next season and we really missed Adkins it caused some players to be out of place as for spring and summer the boys will be in the weight room getting ready the coaches already are getting them ready the baseball boys will have to work twice as hard but there all in

Etown needs to be watched very closely.

Went to the past two 3A Semi-Finals and return everyone off an overachieving team from last year. By far the most veteran team returning in 3A football and they also have some really good young talent coming up as well.

Right now the five leading front runners are Central, Etown, Boyle, Belfry, and Corbin. I think all five are going to start the year very close to each other.

If I had to rank right now:
1. Central
2. Etown
3. Corbin
4. Belfry
5. Boyle
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Etown needs to be watched very closely.

Went to the past two 3A Semi-Finals and return everyone off an overachieving team from last year. By far the most veteran team returning in 3A football and they also have some really good young talent coming up as well.

Right now the five leading front runners are Central, Etown, Boyle, Belfry, and Corbin. I think all five are going to start the year very close to each other.

1. Central
2. Etown
3. Corbin
4. Belfry
5. Boyle
Lol not close
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Etown needs to be watched very closely.

1. Central
2. Etown
3. Corbin
4. Belfry
5. Boyle

1. I think Central will not be as good without Scroggins, but still very good.
2. As Mr. Flair says "to be the man you gotta beat the man". Belfry is still the man....but the door may be cracking open ever so slightly for someone to get their foot in. Time will tell before the playoffs if there is a chance or everyone is still playing for 2nd.
3. E'town, Boyle Co, Lex Cath, and Central all are solid and will hammer on each other in the playoffs.
4. Corbin had the King on the ropes last year and flinched. When you take a shot at the King you better not miss. The 4th down stop was the miss and we know what happened after that. With that said, the Hounds smell blood and could have a free pass to the Semifinals.
5. This may be the season someone not mentioned above pulls an upset and is still playing late in the playoffs. There are a couple of dark horses, some new and some old school, that have the kids to put a run together.
It'll be interesting if Dudley does return to Bell. Still curious just how far off the grid they are? Is there talent in the building to make a real push at Corbin...or are they in full rebuilding mode? Like him or not....Dudley Hilton is a tremendous coach. It won't take him very long to retool.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:It'll be interesting if Dudley does return to Bell. Still curious just how far off the grid they are? Is there talent in the building to make a real push at Corbin...or are they in full rebuilding mode? Like him or not....Dudley Hilton is a tremendous coach. It won't take him very long to retool.

If he returns they go zero to 60 real fast....enough to match Corbin?...time will tell but you can bet he will start implementing day one for that matchup...and anticipated rematch in the playoffs.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:It'll be interesting if Dudley does return to Bell. Still curious just how far off the grid they are? Is there talent in the building to make a real push at Corbin...or are they in full rebuilding mode? Like him or not....Dudley Hilton is a tremendous coach. It won't take him very long to retool.

If Dudley returns I would say 3-4 years minimum to even become a Top 5 caliber 3A team..let alone a Title Contender.

Right now I wouldn't even put Bell in Russell's league in the Eastern Semi-State..let alone Belfry and Corbin.
According to WVTAILGATECENTRAL.COM, Belfry now has 9 games by signing a two year contract with Cabell Midland.

This what I have their schedule.
BELFRY
8/18/2017
8/25/2017 H HUNTINGTON
9/1/2017 A BRYAN STATION
9/8/2017
9/15/2017 H PIKEVILLE
9/22/2017
9/29/2017
10/6/2017 A CABELL MIDLAND
10/13/2017 H LAWRENCE COUNTY
10/20/2017
10/27/2017 H JOHNSON CENTRAL

Does anyone know the dates for Floyd Central, Pike County Central and Sheldon Clark?
jgrlzz Wrote:According to WVTAILGATECENTRAL.COM, Belfry now has 9 games by signing a two year contract with Cabell Midland.

This what I have their schedule.
BELFRY
8/18/2017
8/25/2017 H HUNTINGTON
9/1/2017 A BRYAN STATION
9/8/2017
9/15/2017 H PIKEVILLE
9/22/2017
9/29/2017
10/6/2017 A CABELL MIDLAND
10/13/2017 H LAWRENCE COUNTY
10/20/2017
10/27/2017 H JOHNSON CENTRAL

Does anyone know the dates for Floyd Central, Pike County Central and Sheldon Clark?

pretty sure some of those dates are not correct

Bell is in full rebuilding mode right now. Solid 8th grade class coming up, but not much to show below that and above that. Would be surprised if Corbin does not run clock on them and expect Casey to beat them again as well.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Bell is in full rebuilding mode right now. Solid 8th grade class coming up, but not much to show below that and above that. Would be surprised if Corbin does not run clock on them and expect Casey to beat them again as well.

Yes I watched the 8th grade play at Belfry in the playoffs this year they have good size to them
Sub - par
Schedule is finalized

8/25 - Huntington High, WV **Pike County Bowl**
9/1 - @ Bryan Station
9/8 - @ Newport Catholic
9/15 - Pikeville
9/22 - @ Floyd Central
9/29 - Sheldon Clark
10/6 - @ Cabell Midland, WV
10/13 - Lawrence Co
10/20 - @ Pike Central
10/27 - Johnson Central

Now that the schedule is full and the game didn't happen, I can freely mention Belfry was in talks with Oakland, TN but chose to renew with NewCath to save an extra few hours of drive time (and potentially hotel costs). Still have to go to Lexington and Newport in back to back weeks which is rough, but 5 hours is still better than 7.5 hours (especially when next year may be a butt kicking from Oakland anyway that early in the season)

Belfry is going back to Richlands, VA for their first scrimmage and still need a scrimmage for Week 0
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Schedule is finalized

9/1 - @ Bryan Station
9/8 - @ Newport Catholic
9/15 - Pikeville
9/22 - @ Floyd Central
9/29 - Sheldon Clark
10/13 - Lawrence Co
10/20 - @ Pike Central
10/27 - Johnson Central

Now that the schedule is full and the game didn't happen, I can freely mention Belfry was in talks with Oakland, TN but chose to renew with NewCath to save an extra few hours of drive time (and potentially hotel costs). Still have to go to Lexington and Newport in back to back weeks which is rough, but 5 hours is still better than 7.5 hours (especially when next year may be a butt kicking from Oakland anyway that early in the season)

Belfry is going back to Richlands, VA for their first scrimmage and still need a scrimmage for Week 0

Not saying it would ever happen but there are 5 games on this schedule that Belfry could lose....and before some unload me I said could. If they come out and start to destroy everyone like the last 4 years then same story different year for everyone in their path.

Good news for Belfry is none of them are district games.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Schedule is finalized

9/1 - @ Bryan Station
9/8 - @ Newport Catholic
9/15 - Pikeville
9/22 - @ Floyd Central
9/29 - Sheldon Clark
10/13 - Lawrence Co
10/20 - @ Pike Central
10/27 - Johnson Central

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an open date. Would the first Friday in November be open?
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an open date. Would the first Friday in November be open?

???

The schedule is full

The open spot is for the 2nd scrimmage... Belfry only has one.

Until they came to an agreement with NewCath to renew for two more years the open game that they were talking to Oakland about would have been that week.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Not saying it would ever happen but there are 5 games on this schedule that Belfry could lose....and before some unload me I said could. If they come out and start to destroy everyone like the last 4 years then same story different year for everyone in their path.

Good news for Belfry is none of them are district games.

Some Belfry fans may disagree but here is my assessment knowing what those teams should return

Heavy Underdog:
None

Slight Underdog:
Huntington, WV
Cabell Midland, WV
Johnson Central

50/50 Toss-Up:
None

Slight Favorite:
Bryan Station
NewCath

Heavy Favorite:
Pikeville
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence Co
Pike Central
Floyd Central

I think 7-3 is a fair prediction... could see 6-4... don't think they do better than 8-2
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some Belfry fans may disagree but here is my assessment knowing what those teams should return

Heavy Underdog:
None

Slight Underdog:
Huntington, WV
Cabell Midland, WV
Johnson Central

50/50 Toss-Up:
None

Slight Favorite:
Bryan Station
NewCath

Heavy Favorite:
Pikeville
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence Co
Pike Central
Floyd Central

I think 7-3 is a fair prediction... could see 6-4... don't think they do better than 8-2

1st 3 on the schedule will be key. Huntington, Bryan Station, and NCC could be interesting especially Bryan Station and NCC on the road. They win those 3 or go 2-1...they are still Belfry and the rest just suck it up and deal with it. They go 1-2 or 0-3 it will be interesting to see how things play out.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some Belfry fans may disagree but here is my assessment knowing what those teams should return

Heavy Underdog:
None

Slight Underdog:
Huntington, WV
Cabell Midland, WV
Johnson Central

50/50 Toss-Up:
None

Slight Favorite:
Bryan Station
NewCath

Heavy Favorite:
Pikeville
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence Co
Pike Central
Floyd Central

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. At this point....I actually think the Bryan Station game could also be an underdog contest as well. Currently, it appears the Pirates will potentially break in anywhere between 5-7 new starters across the offensive line....and I can see it taking a while for those kids to jell as a unit. This team, barring any significant injuries will be extremely quick and highly athletic. But....the offensive and defensive line will be a work in progress. Those early games will be a challenge.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next