Poll: State Semi-Finals - Who ya got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
66.67%
Corbin
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals**
campbellfield Wrote:There have been 3-4 Belfry posters and 1 Redonthehound who I think is a redonthepirate who have turned this thread in the wrong direction. I probably didn't help with my LOL on the moving the game...but I knew as soon as I read it that it was a rumor or probably a hope that the game would be moved....this would NEVER happen.

We love our Campbell Field at Nick Denes Stadium. I believe the baseball stadium at WKU is also named after the same Nick Denes.

There is a very good book written by someone NOT from Corbin, Gary P. West, that came out 3-4 years ago titled "The Boys From Corbin: America's Greatest Little Sports Town, gives you a lot of insight on our tradition.....
https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Corbin-Ameri...1938905237

What do the Los Angeles Lakers, St. Louis Cardinals, New York Knicks, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders, Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, Furman Paladins and the Eastern Kentucky Colonels all have in common? They have all had star athletes who began their careers as Corbin Redhounds.
For four decades the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's, Corbin High School sports were the glue that held the town together. For those who worked on the railroad, cut or hauled timber, or chiseled and drug coal from the nearby mines, football and basketball was a diversion from the daily chore of providing for their families. Sports were the common denominator that transcended economic levels of Corbin's citizenry.

Sports Hall of Fames are dotted with Corbin stars:
Frank Selvy Rodger Bird Calvin Bird Billy Bird Jerry Bird Steve Bird Roy Kidd Nick Denes David Selvy Fred Radar Mel Chandler Princess McBurney Jesse Grant Marvin Selvy Bobby Terrell Curly Selvy Edd Selvy Ted Meadors Jerry Smith Bob Barton Tommy Adkins Bob Coleman Marion Cluggish Curt Selvy

There are others who were prep All-Americans, college All-Americans, NBA and NFL all-stars. The Boys from Corbin America s Greatest Little Sports Town is not just a story . . . it s a phenomenon.

And it extends beyond those years...80's, 90's and beyond

Any history on Nick Denes?
Messages In This Thread
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals** - by pjdoug - 11-25-2016, 03:38 PM