Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 48 Paducah Tilghman 26
Wow.. ok.. game started out looking like mayfield was going to run all over pt.. there were just a couple of plays that changed this whole game... very impressed with pt.. looks like they could be onto something.. even tho we beat them i was very impressed at how tbey seemed to have our number an seem to be much improved over the penalty stricken past.. they played one hell of a game an do not count them out!!! As for us.. cash jones is going to pick us apart next week it going to be a hard week of practice against the pass.... bright ran for over 300+ yrds... outstanding performance!!....
Trajon had a good game I lost count on how many touchdowns he had, as far as next week, I hope Jones does not Cash in on his passing, I see a weekness for Mayfield on pass defense and special teams
2 of those PT touchdowns came when coach Morris had the kicker pooch the kick giving them a short field i cant stand that Kick the damn ball if they run it back its all the same.
PT showed a good bit of fight in the second half, but we had a couple of costly mistake that Mayfield did their usual and made quick points out of.
We are getting better but still have a long way to go.
Trajon for Mayfield is just incredible at finding holes and running wild.
I think Mayfield got complacent and thought it was going to be an onslaught. Their 1st 2 TDs were just way too easy and it looked as if they could score at will whenever they wanted. Once PT got on the board set up by a nice long pass and catch getting inside the 5, cutting the lead to 14-6, they seemed to play with more confidence. Even then, Mayfield went on to score 3 more TDs and take a commanding 34-6 halftime lead. PT came out in 2nd half and outplayed the Cards, scoring 20 points and holding the Cards to 12, but, it was too little, too late, as the game was pretty much in hand. PT did have some positive things to take from the game and if not for the pick 6 they gave up, when they started controlling momentum, it could have been even closer.

A few takeaways from this one:

1) Mayfield has a lot of offensive weapons, especially at WR, which was supposedly a big question mark coming into the system.

2) Mayfields OL/DL is a lot bigger than last year and seem to be deeper and more athletic..

3) It was strange to see Mayfield with approximately 60 kids on the sidelines and PT with only about 35. Used to be just the opposite every year.

4) PT still has some quality athletes and I like how hard they play.

5) Impressed with Tilghmans offense. They can pass and run. A couple of solid RBs and big, tall receivers and the QB can wing it, just needs to improve his accuracy a little.

6) PT still doesn't have much size in trenches, but, they are athletic and quick and they'll beat a lot of teams this year. That Caldwell game should be a dandy.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Wow.. ok.. game started out looking like mayfield was going to run all over pt.. there were just a couple of plays that changed this whole game... very impressed with pt.. looks like they could be onto something.. even tho we beat them i was very impressed at how tbey seemed to have our number an seem to be much improved over the penalty stricken past.. they played one hell of a game an do not count them out!!! As for us.. cash jones is going to pick us apart next week it going to be a hard week of practice against the pass.... bright ran for over 300+ yrds... outstanding performance!!....

I was surprised to see that Tilghman scored 26 points.
weakness not weekness
I'm not sure if it was over confident or fatigued in the second half. Remember these boys hadn't played much more than one half yet and one of those only played one half, had a two hour delay and then played for about 6 minutes. They had at least two kids get cramps.
Sounds like Mayfield lost focus at half. Easy to do up 28.
KHSAA has Mayfield's roster at 60 , Tilghman's at 73, and McCracken's at 105 with only 2 freshman listed for McCracken. All 3 schools have very good numbers for their class. All that said no shame in playing each other as it still makes for good fan support and much more to talk about.
If you have a solid program that is supported by the school, parents, alumni and the community, then kids want to be associated with that and they suit up and be a part of something that matters. If you have an inconsistent program, frequently change coaches, have great athletes who walk the halls but won't come out, then you will struggle to dress 40 kids and see 200-300 people at games after the first cold snap.

ANYBODY LISTENING AT PTHS ???
Well, I counted them on the sidelines and there was 35 on Tilghmans side. Now that I think about it, they may have had 70.. The 35 that played in the 1st half and the then the 35 they played in the 2nd. 2 totally different teams..
blue55 Wrote:KHSAA has Mayfield's roster at 60 , Tilghman's at 73, and McCracken's at 105 with only 2 freshman listed for McCracken. All 3 schools have very good numbers for their class. All that said no shame in playing each other as it still makes for good fan support and much more to talk about.

Tica Wrote:If you have a solid program that is supported by the school, parents, alumni and the community, then kids want to be associated with that and they suit up and be a part of something that matters. If you have an inconsistent program, frequently change coaches, have great athletes who walk the halls but won't come out, then you will struggle to dress 40 kids and see 200-300 people at games after the first cold snap.

I thought they brought a great crowd with them last night. They were full on the visitors side and filled there section on the Mayfield side.. They made noise as well.. One of the best crowds I've seen at a Mayfield game in a long time, especially from a visitors standpoint..
Does anyone know the exact yards and touchdowns that Trajon had?
According the Wpsd's player of the week poll Trajon had 3 touchodwns and 316 yards on the ground
Mayfield is gnashing their teeth over a 22 point win. It will be okay
Tica Wrote:If you have a solid program that is supported by the school, parents, alumni and the community, then kids want to be associated with that and they suit up and be a part of something that matters. If you have an inconsistent program, frequently change coaches, have great athletes who walk the halls but won't come out, then you will struggle to dress 40 kids and see 200-300 people at games after the first cold snap.

Tica, I think you need to throw some support at Coach Barber and leave some of these past issues behind us. I believe Barber could be the guy to lead us in that right direction. You won't find anyone with a stronger passion to make us great again.
I will say he made a huge improvement in just 2 weeks. The line actually blocked some this time. The qb actually threw in the direction of his recievers this time. They didn't look like the stooges fumbling the ball around on almost every snap. And, they had a lot fewer penalties. They also looked like they were starting to understand the offense that their new coordinator wants them to run.
As long as Randy Wyatt is on staff I have trouble believing that things will be different.
Amen
I understand what you 2 are thinking and saying, but I believe it is already changing for the better. It may be hard to believe looking at our record, but we were set up for a struggle this season just due to our youth.
The Wyatt you saw as a HC is nothing like he is under Barber.
I think without doubt Barber is running a different ship. In the recent pasts PT would have headed for the bus at the half down like they were. They are getting close to being a decent football team and Graves County may have come along at the wrong time on their schedule.

As for the game, I am not sure what to make of how good the Cards are but will learn a lot about where we are this Friday
Mayfield vs. McCracken probably the only game Mayfield plays this year where anyone associated with the game could be thinking they might lose.
Right now, my upset pick of the week in West Ky would be PT over GC. I still think it was a terrible, monumental mistake to put Wyatt back on any FOOTBALL coaching staff. He led to the current problem there. I never heard of PT getting double digit penalties in games until he was the man. I also never would have imagined anyone not named Ray Charles, could not see a few years back what a great disadvantage he had on Mayfield when he had Forrest and the other tree at reciever and didn't use it. Every offensive play should have went there. We couldn't cover that with 4 guys covering each of them.
d
mysonis55 Wrote:Right now, my upset pick of the week in West Ky would be PT over GC. I still think it was a terrible, monumental mistake to put Wyatt back on any FOOTBALL coaching staff. He led to the current problem there. I never heard of PT getting double digit penalties in games until he was the man. I also never would have imagined anyone not named Ray Charles, could not see a few years back what a great disadvantage he had on Mayfield when he had Forrest and the other tree at reciever and didn't use it. Every offensive play should have went there. We couldn't cover that with 4 guys covering each of them.

You are right about Forrest, and Harmon as well.

On the other subject you have to understand that Barber and Wyatt have been friends since birth basically and that is not going to change. However Barber is a very strong and influential leader so I would bet he will keep things on the straight and narrow.

Some guys are great assistant coaches and don't succeed when they transfer to a HC position.

I am not doubting any of your perceptions, but I truly believe we are heading in a better direction. You handled us easily last friday, but you definitely saw there was no "laying down" in the second half, that comes from a good leader.
I truly hope that PT is on its way back. I want them to be strong again. I just don't want the Cards to ever lose to them again.