Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT!! All County Team
Who will be the 15 players out of the Pike County to make all county team?

If done right the all-county will probably have the big kid from EC and the rest from Pikeville, Dorton, Virgie, and Belfry
#55 from Johns Creek should get in there...
There should be at least 5 from Belfry, but definitely #10
IMO.... Phelps has several good players as well... I know we had one kid hit 5- 3's in a game the other day.... BUT... it just depends on who does the voting for the "chosen" few....
Phelps is the only Pike County team I haven't seen yet, but Millard has 3 pretty tough players also.
phs1986 Wrote:IMO.... Phelps has several good players as well... I know we had one kid hit 5- 3's in a game the other day.... BUT... it just depends on who does the voting for the "chosen" few....

I know I'm replyin to myself but I want to add... I know these kids have been beaten off and on all year... we are a VERY young Jr. High team... (only 4 8th graders)... ALL of the rest of the team are coming back! I personally think that there needs to be a child chosen from EACH team .... I have watched several of the teams this year as we have played them... I have kept the book and I KNOW some of the kids who should be chosen...FROM the teams we have played as well....... BUT... my opinion on that doesn't amount to a hill of beans!! LOLOL.... Who does the voting for these kids? Is it the coaches? Just kinda got me curious on this one.... I hope it is done fairly so that a child who has talent (and has shown it all season) doesn't get left out. BE it WHERE EVER they play!!!
phs1986 Wrote:I know I'm replyin to myself but I want to add... I know these kids have been beaten off and on all year... we are a VERY young Jr. High team... (only 4 8th graders)... ALL of the rest of the team are coming back! I personally think that there needs to be a child chosen from EACH team .... I have watched several of the teams this year as we have played them... I have kept the book and I KNOW some of the kids who should be chosen...FROM the teams we have played as well....... BUT... my opinion on that doesn't amount to a hill of beans!! LOLOL.... Who does the voting for these kids? Is it the coaches? Just kinda got me curious on this one.... I hope it is done fairly so that a child who has talent (and has shown it all season) doesn't get left out. BE it WHERE EVER they play!!!

There is no "chosen few" and I will add that I forgot about Millard.

My point is, an All-Tourney team is to pick the BEST PLAYERS no matter where they are from, and I think that you agree based on what I bolded in your statement.

Last year I would have had 0 problem if it was like this -

Virgie - 6
Dorton - 2/3
Elkhorn - 2/3
Belfry - 1/2
Pikeville - 2/3

As it was obvious those 15 - 17 were the best in the county by FAR. But the coaches had to be politically correct.

I have watched every team except EC at least twice and if I could remember names I would post the top 10 -15 in the county and I can assure you that almost every HS/MS coach in the area would agree with me in saying they play on the teams I listed above and Millard.

If they are young then great! They will get a chance to prove themselves next year.
virgieball25 Wrote:Who will be the 15 players out of the Pike County to make all county team?

Why is this important ?
NEXT Wrote:There is no "chosen few" and I will add that I forgot about Millard.

My point is, an All-Tourney team is to pick the BEST PLAYERS no matter where they are from, and I think that you agree based on what I bolded in your statement.

Last year I would have had 0 problem if it was like this -

Virgie - 6
Dorton - 2/3
Elkhorn - 2/3
Belfry - 1/2
Pikeville - 2/3

As it was obvious those 15 - 17 were the best in the county by FAR. But the coaches had to be politically correct.

I have watched every team except EC at least twice and if I could remember names I would post the top 10 -15 in the county and I can assure you that almost every HS/MS coach in the area would agree with me in saying they play on the teams I listed above and Millard.

If they are young then great! They will get a chance to prove themselves next year.

We each have an opinion..... I have no problem with yours but I do still have mine!! LOL..... I do think though that the "chosen few" (yes, they are chosen) should include kids who are great ballplayers from each team. All the teams I have witnessed this year has at least 1 kid on them....I will not mention any names though. Best of luck in the tournament and oh... BTW.... which game did you get to watch Phelps?? I would have loved to known you were there!!! :popcorn:
Both Belfry games
phs1986 Wrote:.... I hope it is done fairly

Did you just use the word fairly in a sports forum? :ChairHit: What were you thinking? The jokes are posted in the General Discussion ForumSmile

You see, I've always been the kind of parent who can see their own kids (plural as I have more than one) weakness's and strengths BOTH rather than being blind like some are. I mean you do know that their are some who are just perfect lol. Anyway with that I can also see others kids strenghts as well as their weaknesses (both) . Fair and doing whats right or giving credit where credits due don't usually happen...
TurnthePage Wrote:Did you just use the word fairly in a sports forum? :ChairHit: What were you thinking? The jokes are posted in the General Discussion ForumSmile

You see, I've always been the kind of parent who can see their own kids (plural as I have more than one) weakness's and strengths BOTH rather than being blind like some are. I mean you do know that their are some who are just perfect lol. Anyway with that I can also see others kids strenghts as well as their weaknesses (both) . Fair and doing whats right or giving credit where credits due don't usually happen...

Wow

Name the best player in the county then.
I don't consider myself qualified to do that. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions out there though. There are a lot of talented kids out there! :thumpsup:
TurnthePage Wrote:I don't consider myself qualified to do that. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions out there though. There are a lot of talented kids out there! :thumpsup:

I didn't mean to come across negative, but some want to give evry kid a trophy, and thats ok, just don't call it all tourney or all-county because that is not what it is.
NEXT Wrote:I didn't mean to come across negative, but some want to give evry kid a trophy, and thats ok, just don't call it all tourney or all-county because that is not what it is.

Yea I know what your saying and I agree there. If EVERYONE gets one theres nothing special about it. You may have taken my post wrong too. I wasn't saying that "I know" better than anyone who should get it....

Lots of talent...I wouldn't want to choose!!
TurnthePage Wrote:Yea I know what your saying and I agree there. If EVERYONE gets one theres nothing special about it. You may have taken my post wrong too. I wasn't saying that "I know" better than anyone who should get it....

Lots of talent...I wouldn't want to choose!!

I don't think every kid should get a trophy... BUT... IF it is done the "politically correct" way.... EACH team should have at least 1 member on the All-county team.... and BTW.... I DID NOT make mention of my own child as I recall???
phs1986 Wrote:I don't think every kid should get a trophy... BUT... IF it is done the "politically correct" way.... EACH team should have at least 1 member on the All-county team.... and BTW.... I DID NOT make mention of my own child as I recall???

I know that and neither did I...but there are some parents who think their kids are much better than they are and should never come out of the game and complain if they do and blah blah blah which cost decently talented kids playing time if the coaches cave in to them.......most people don't know who each other are on here. No one was talking about anyone imparticular. You see it everywhere in every sport. No need to be defensive. I was making fun of parents who think there are college recruiters out here wanting to sign their kids up in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Parents are the only poblem in most sports including cheerleading LOL AND by my posts being taken wrong and me explaining, we're getting off track. You might be right that their should be at least one off of each team if done right, although I'm sure sometimes it does happen that someone has a down year and although they have a talented player or two maybe they don't neccessarily have a player who "qualifies for All County". Once again, Please dont think I'm talking about your child or school......

Good Luck to all the kids! :1:
They should not even have an all tourney team in my book!!!!!
rainout Wrote:They should not even have an all tourney team in my book!!!!!

Thats something to think about too. Care to share your thoughts on the subject?
rainout Wrote:They should not even have an all tourney team in my book!!!!!

And that right there is what is wrong with Eastern Ky./Pike County basketball.
Most of todays all tourney teams are based on points scored! If they give out a team them base it on the best all around players. Whom are inthe tourney of course, Awarding the all around game at the younger levels will only help to develop better players over time. Besides most parents and coaches just want their kids to get an award. Not that its wrong just, make sure they truly earned and deserve it.
who are the three millard boys u are talking about #23 is brent taylor and #25 is austin adkins
Hobo Mcoy,Jacob Mclanahan,# 10 From Belfrey,Trey Roberts,And a couple of the guards from Dorton and some of virgies post players should get in there definately.
Belfry had 2 all tournament players Jordan Varney & Joey Pinson, (both well deserved), & most important Belfry had the MVP Jordan Harriston.
Congrats to all that made the all-tourney team.
legacy1 Wrote:Belfry had 2 all tournament players Jordan Varney & Joey Pinson, (both well deserved), & most important Belfry had the MVP Jordan Harriston.

How can they give the MVP to the losing team? Didnt they lose by 20 as well?
Doesnt sound like a very good selection IMO
OMG, have you not seen the child play? It shouldn't matter if he was on the losing team or not. The point is he was the better player and deserved to be the MVP!!
SportsKrazee Wrote:How can they give the MVP to the losing team? Didnt they lose by 20 as well?
Doesnt sound like a very good selection IMO

Win or lose, he was the mvp and the right choice for it. There isn't another player in the county who could touch him.
Agreed...without question the best player in the county....was an easy choice for MVP from what I hear.