Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wk 1 - West Ky must see games
It's still early in the season, but, there's 3 games in West Ky. that will go a long way in helping to determine what to expect out of these teams in the bigger picture as the season wears on:

1) FRANKLIN SIMPSON @ CALDWELL CO.

Last year, Franklin Simpson came into the season with high expectations only to get blown out at home vs the Tigers and ended up with a sub-par 7-5 season. They did rebound well and make a nice little run in the playoffs, but, I think most fans would agree, it wasn't the season they expected. Well, expectations are even higher this year and another blowout loss to a lower class team certainly won't sit very well in that neck of the woods. The Tigers will also come in with a chip on their shoulders after last weeks tough loss to 5a power Christian Co, for the 2nd consecutive season. Expectations are also high in Tiger Land and they'd like a repeat of last years performance against this same team to right the ship and get them back on track and winning ways. FS put up 43 points last week against a weak Portland, Tn. team while Caldwell scored efficiently against the bigger Christian team, but were unable to stop their potent attack. Franklin Simpson's line play is improved this year and they return a plethora of skilled players while Caldwell returns one of the better young QBs in the state, who can throw the ball all over the field, so, expect fireworks in this one. Caldwell is very tough at home, so, it'll be a tall task to come in there and knock them off. In saying that, I expect a much closer game than last years. I'm going back and forth on this one, but, my thought is, if the Tigers can beat them on the road with similar talent, they should be able to do the same, at home..

Prediction : Caldwell Co 42 Franklin Simpson 35

2) CHRISTIAN CO @ BOWLING GREEN

The Purples have been the class of 5a football for 5 or so years now and all indications are this year's version may be one of their best, so, you'd be hard pressed to see too many people picking against them. In saying that, Christian is likely one of the better in class teams the Purples will see and very well could be a prelim to a rematch in the Regional Finals. Christian is one team that may somewhat match up from a personnel standpoint. Both teams came away with solid wins last week over good opponents. For the Colonals to have a shot, they'll have to play mistake free football and hope the Purples make a few uncharacteristic turnovers, but, stranger things have happened(think Graves Co a couple years back). With that said, all the intangibles point the Purples way, but, win or lose, it'll be a chance for Christian to see where they're at and get prepared for the potential Round 2 matchup.

Prediction : Bowling Green 48 Christian Co 27

3) O'Boro Catholic @ Daviess Co

This cross-town rivalry has been pretty one-sided in Catholic's favor over the years, but, Daviess turned the tide last year and have an up and coming program. The Aces are coming off a devastating lopsided loss to Indiana power, Mater Dei. They aren't used to taking that kind of beating and will be anxious to get back on the field to redeem themselves. While the loss was big, it wasn't without some positives to take away. They did score a solid 29 points, an amount that Mater Dei rarely gives up, plus, they played hard and competed the full 48 minutes, something a lot of teams wouldn't do under the same circumstances. That, in itself, builds team character. Daviess is coming off a decent win over an always scrappy ACS team. While, I'm sure, they'd have preferred a little more separation in that game, a win is a win in those weather conditions. While Daviess has the talent to compete with the Aces, I think OB Cath will bounce back this week and show their merit..

Prediction : OB Catholic 28 Daviess Co 14

What's everyone else think about these 3 games?
BG will win bigger. OC will have a tough time.
Franklin Simpson over Caldwell 42-28
Bowling Green over Christian County 42-27
Owensboro Catholic over Daviess 21-20

:betterthanexpected:
(1)The Caldwell defense played solid against the run last week, pass not so much, but Christian will do that to most teams. FS needs to win the trenches in a big way or shockingly pass enough for some offensive balance. Burns' health (hip) is also a factor in this game. Jevonte Riley should return giving more strength to the Tiger offense.
Caldwell Co 37 Franklin-Simpson 27 (expecting Burns as a full go)

(2)BG called the dogs off last week, Christian gets one dimensional and Langhi will need time to throw. BG way too much at home. Both teams seem to be improved but the gap remains the same. Expecting a score similar to last season but this time Christian adds a late TD.

BG 52 Christian Co 21

(3)Daviess has closed the gap on OCath lately. The feel for this one seems like a tight one much like the OT game last year. I never get this game correct, but I'm going OC on a late FG. (sorry for the kiss of death OC fans)

OCath 23 Daviess Co 21
Great post KYHSFBFan. I think the Franklin Simpson vs Caldwell County game will be the only close game. I think FS wins that one.
Last year, at one point, it was 48-7 with a running clock. Just putting that out there.