Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Stadium/Field.... who is it Named after?
Hillard Howard Field - Hambley Athletic Complex
Philip Haywood Field - C.A.M.

These are two that come to mind in my part of the state.

So who's Name is on your Football Stadium and Field???
And who's Name deserves to be on your Stadium or Field???
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
McCreary Central --- Norm Parson Field.
Sheldon Clark has The Rock.

If you never went to SC before they put the turf down..... The Rock may have been the worst football field in the Continental United States.

It would take about 3 weeks to get the uniforms clean.
Harlan County Black Bears

Coal Miner's Memorial Stadium
the title speaks for itself, and it is well deserved

Needham Saylor Field
the name also speaks for itself...Saylor family has been involved in education in the county for as long as I can remember...and it too, is well deserved
Russell stadium- Henry R. Evans
Russell field - Ivan Mcglone
Pikeville

W.C. Hambley Athletic Complex after longtime Mayor, Dr. William C. Hambley.

Hillard Howard Field, legendary Panther Coach.
Johnson Central's Stadium or Field isn't named after anybody... we simply call it "Golden Eagle Field".

IMO, there is only one person who the Stadium should be named after.
Former Head Coach, former JC Principal and former Johnson County Schools Superintendent, Steve Trimble.

As far as the field goes.... IMO, only two people (Jim Matney, Bill Musick) are in the conversation to have the field named after them.
But I think Jim Matney is the clear favorite. He has done more for the program than anybody in history. He took a program that was two seasons away from making the football field a parking lot to the Class 4A championship game last season. Not too mention all of the district championships and his W/L record.
Hazard's Daniel Field...named after well-known Hazard businessman Dewey Daniel.
I cannot actually call it my own because I didn't play or coach on it, but I have followed and supported the kids at Memorial Field (named so for WWII veterans) at the Walter Brugh Football Complex now for about 15 years. It is Paintsville's facility.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central's Stadium or Field isn't named after anybody... we simply call it "Golden Eagle Field".

IMO, there is only one person who the Stadium should be named after.
Former Head Coach, former JC Principal and former Johnson County Schools Superintendent, Steve Trimble.

As far as the field goes.... IMO, only two people (Jim Matney, Bill Musick) are in the conversation to have the field named after them.
But I think Jim Matney is the clear favorite. He has done more for the program than anybody in history. He took a program that was two seasons away from making the football field a parking lot to the Class 4A championship game last season. Not too mention all of the district championships and his W/L record.

What about Bruce Howard, JC's first head coach.
Redneck Wrote:What about Bruce Howard, JC's first head coach.

Mr. Howard's coaching record....

1970: 2-3
1971: 3-7
1972: 2-8
1973: 4-7
1974: 6-5

Not saying Bruce doesn't deserve the recognition for being our first coach, but that's why I said IMO (In My Opinion) Steve Trimble deserves the stadium named after him.
Finley-Legion Field
The Finley family and the American Legion donated the property is the story I was always told...The Finley family still have a small grave site behind the home bleachers....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Josh Francis Field - Prestonsburg

Great friend of mine in high school who was tragically killed in a single vehicle accident the summer prior to his junior year.
Knott Central - Dr. Gene T. Watts Stadium ..... Dr. Watts gave FREE athletic physicals for over 50 years.
Boyd County....Tom Scott Field, named after...you guessed it! Tom Scott (former coach, now deceased...and cousin of Charles Manson if I'm not mistaken)
Perry Central/MC Napier's old field (1952-2012) was named after long time school board member Paul Ray Alexander, the stadium had no name. The new field at East Perry has no name yet, (The new field as it's called in the system) or Commodore field if you listen on the radio.
killerb Wrote:Knott Central - Dr. Gene T. Watts Stadium ..... Dr. Watts gave FREE athletic physicals for over 50 years.

Wow..that is so cool!!

Wildcat1 Wrote:Boyd County....Tom Scott Field, named after...you guessed it! Tom Scott (former coach, now deceased...and cousin of Charles Manson if I'm not mistaken)

Are you serious? That is so interesting to me!!
[attachment=o3398]

Paul Cox stadium
ColtPride Wrote:[attachment=o3398]

Paul Cox stadium

This is nice.

Usually Orange and Brown doesn't look good together, but DeSales can pull it off.
I think ours is cougar field for now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Middlesboro's Bradner Stadium is named in honor of former superintendent J.W. Bradner, and the field itself (Lee Majors Field) is named after the Six Million Dollar Man.
Danville High School, Stadium of Champions
Rice Mountjoy Field
Sam Harp Recreational Complex
OldJacket Wrote:Finley-Legion Field
The Finley family and the American Legion donated the property is the story I was always told...The Finley family still have a small grave site behind the home bleachers....

is that the same Finley family that lived in southern Whitley County?
Mayfield - War Memorial Stadium, I cant think of a more appropriate name.

The field is not named

Our fairly new Athletic complex is named for former Hall of Fame Coach Jack Morris
Gitback Coach Wrote:Middlesboro's Bradner Stadium is named in honor of former superintendent J.W. Bradner, and the field itself (Lee Majors Field) is named after the Six Million Dollar Man.

Why didn't they name it the Harvey Lee Yeary Field?
Belfry's old stadium, which is now used by Belfry Middle School, and was the site of many classic battles is named Vipperman Stadium.

Coach Albert "Bearmeat" Vipperman was a long time coach of the Pirates and the first to really bring established success to Pond Creek.

I miss that old stadium.
pjdoug Wrote:is that the same Finley family that lived in southern Whitley County?

No idea pj...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:No idea pj...
not sure where the Finley Family was located, but I was aware of the Finley's donating the land for the field and also where the school sets today. Hadn't heard anything indicating the American Legion being involved? The stadium is named "Rose-Stanfill Stadium" in regards to longtime Head Coach Bob Rose and Head/ Assistant Coach Gary Stanfill. They were there from the late 70's up to the hire of Jim Black, not sure what year that was?
OldJacket Wrote:No idea pj...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...0Cemetery&
Memorial Stadium, Ralph McRight Field. Paducah Tilghman High School. The old Augusta Tighman High School's was Keiler Field named for a local family who donated the land etc.