Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 56 Fort Campbell 0
Large turn out for the season opener at WarMemorial Stadium in Mayfield as the Cardinals came out in search of a 15-0 season an "One For theThumb".. I know the competition wasnt very stiff but with that said this team is loaded!!! Very impressed at the amount of talent an the depth of it... as if Mayfield Football couldnt get any better, god has been good to us here in Cardinal Country an continues to bless us with great kids with lots of heart an talent an most of all one of, if not, the best coaching staffs in the state.. with that said check out this video from our local western ky news station WPSD.. Coach Joe Morris claims victory #200... http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/32802513...campbell-0
Mayfield being Mayfield
Not sure there is a modern era equivalent of the total collapse of the Fort Campbell football program. Sort of sad to see. You can link it to when Shawn Berner left. Last I heard, Hollywood was filming a movie about Berner's coaching career there.
Hate to see proud programs fall on hard times
Fort Campbell is not the only place that has seen better days. But they used to be outstanding, almost feared, and produced a lot of D-1 players. Antonio Andrews remains one of the best high school players I have seen and that goes back aways. There are other high school programs that have lost the magic of yesteryear, but are semi-competitive some years. If it's not raining buckets, I may see one tonight.
Looks like the Cardinals have found a few receivers to throw to after all.. Trey Matthews and Jack Murrell look like they're going to be very good and a couple others showed some promise, as well. Does anyone know if Kincer Arnett played or not. I didn't hear his name mentioned when they called the lineups and didn't hear his name on any tackles. Was he out for some reason?
I'm glad to see y'all liked our new version of Cards. The depth is a very key ingredient with this team. They all know if they take a second off, there is a kid behind them that is just about, if not as good as them ready to play. Kincer Arnett did not play. He should be back for Marshall County. They learned The Friday of Meet The Cardinals that he wouldn't be playing. So, Coach Dew changed the D back to a 4-3. That is why the D had a little bit of a slow start. They only worked on that for 1 week.

I really thought #1 Anton Lumson looked to be a great reciever. He had some really good catches and put some moves on the db's. One or two had to go back and pick up a piece of their equipment after getting juked. Matthews also impressed me. They cannot load the box and take away the run this year. The OC this year will burn anyone that tries that.

I really liked the rotation at linemen. I'm surprised no one mentioned that. Especially on defense. We had as many as 8 dl rotating in and out. That keeps them very fresh. The kicking game also looked very good as he went 8 for 8 on PAT's.

The good part is, we are gonna get better as time goes along and these new faces get more experience.
I just read the stats. I heard someone questioning our defense. Remember this was with 1 week of practice on the 4-3. They limited the Falcons to 68 total yards. About 30 of those came on one pass play on the jv. The running game was allowed 4 yards on 26 attempts. I will take those kind of stats any day.
I don't think too many people questioned this teams defense, but, holding any team to those type numbers is impressive, especially with one of if not your best defensive player sitting out. I guess after the Milan scrimmage, there were some questioning this bunch, but, Milan just put up over 50 points on Trenton Peabody this past week, a team that played in the 1a state title game last year and no slouch in their own right. Wait and see. That Milan team is going to be stout this year..