Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 sport Athlete or Baseball only!
Play as many as you are gifted enough to play. But don't use one as an EXCUSE just to stay out of conditioning and weightlifting for another.

Get off your phone and XBox...shoot a 100 shots, or take 100 swings in the cage, long toss, throw a pen, catch a football, do agilities, lift weights with common sense after you get out of the practice of the sport you are in. Do it every day if you want to be good at all! Too many kids practice with the team and that's it.
Freddie Maggard says play them all and let the scouts figure it out.
2 sports

Grade School play like 4 or 5
Middle School play like 3
High School 2 or 3

I am talking major sports such as football, baseball, wrestling, basketball, soccer, swimming, travel ball in each, so on and so on
Eagle84 Wrote:2 sports

Grade School play like 4 or 5
Middle School play like 3
High School 2 or 3

I am talking major sports such as football, baseball, wrestling, basketball, soccer, swimming, travel ball in each, so on and so on

A special 3 Sport athlete are few and far between.

Besides Geordon, Dalton Adkins and Heath Castle are the only two that come to mind in the last twenty years (that I can remember and would consider Stars) @ JC.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
My worst regret in high school sports is that I didn't play baseball along with basketball. I decided to concentrate on basketball and played it year round. I suffered from burnout bad after a couple seasons, especially with the coach we had at the time. Between 12 months a year of basketball and a coach that I had could not stand to play for it nearly ruined a sport that I had played and loved since I was 4 years old.I had no way to get to another school to play for anyone else.. Let them play two sports it if they can.
Play both! My cousin is a pitcher for Chicago White Sox, Nate Jones. Even he tells me he will go 2-3 months in the off-season without even touching a baseball. Baseball is one of the worst sports to single in on because of its unnatural, quick, repetitive motions.
brooksville Wrote:Play both! My cousin is a pitcher for Chicago White Sox, Nate Jones. Even he tells me he will go 2-3 months in the off-season without even touching a baseball. Baseball is one of the worst sports to single in on because of its unnatural, quick, repetitive motions.

Best post of any discussion I have read. If only you had a way to share this outside of this forum. Especially with high school baseball coaches.
Be a 3 sport athlete. Football, Baseball and Basketball. Hate to see kids (specifically in the mountains) only focus on one sport. Not many players have came out of EKY to play professionally or even Major D1 for that matter. Are there exceptions? Yes. But not many. Athletic kids who limit themselves to 1 sport are hurting small schools and their abilities. A lot of basketball players are scared to play football because they are afraid of getting hurt! Hate to break it to them, the physicality of football will make them a better basketball player and be able to finish through contact much better.
jumpshooter Wrote:Be a 3 sport athlete. Football, Baseball and Basketball. Hate to see kids (specifically in the mountains) only focus on one sport. Not many players have came out of EKY to play professionally or even Major D1 for that matter. Are there exceptions? Yes. But not many. Athletic kids who limit themselves to 1 sport are hurting small schools and their abilities. A lot of basketball players are scared to play football because they are afraid of getting hurt! Hate to break it to them, the physicality of football will make them a better basketball player and be able to finish through contact much better.

The odds are stacked against most kids in the mountains for any sport, but baseball is by far the best option. I think they should absolutely play multiple sports but I also see why they don’t. It’s not the coaches fault. They are responding to the KHSAA for allowing year around. They did that so they wouldn’t have to spend money policing it. However, that’s when the push started for kids to play only one sport. If you want to keep up with the team in the next County over then you also have to go year around.
What is Baseball," by far the best option " for, when you talk about mountain kids?
AnswertheBell Wrote:What is Baseball," by far the best option " for, when you talk about mountain kids?

I would imagine the poster is talking about best option for getting scholarship.
Most successful athletes play multiple sports and shine in them. I'd encourage him to play whatever he wants. Don't make a job out of anything or you'll end up burned out.
AnswertheBell Wrote:What is Baseball," by far the best option " for, when you talk about mountain kids?

Whether it’s college or the pros, baseball is the best option.
baseball1974 Wrote:Whether it’s college or the pros, baseball is the best option.

Why? It is not scholarship money. Baseball gets and gives the least of the big 3. I am just curious.
I think one definitely should play multiple sports! However if you do you must dedicate to the sport you’re playing at the time. I see too many times a kid will miss for example a baseball game during the season to go play AAU basketball. If it’s baseball season you shouldn’t be missing games or practice for another sport. It goes for all sports.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Why? It is not scholarship money. Baseball gets and gives the least of the big 3. I am just curious.

Baseball will always give the least, but it's better than no scholly money at all.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Why? It is not scholarship money. Baseball gets and gives the least of the big 3. I am just curious.

I’m saying that in eastern KY you don’t get too many 6’5” and up athletes year after year. Which means, D1 coaches do not come around a lot because of that. Baseball is the one sport where that doesn’t weigh as much. If you look, there have been a lot more baseball players from eastern KY play in college than any other sport. That’s no secret.
baseball1974 Wrote:I’m saying that in eastern KY you don’t get too many 6’5” and up athletes year after year. Which means, D1 coaches do not come around a lot because of that. Baseball is the one sport where that doesn’t weigh as much. If you look, there have been a lot more baseball players from eastern KY play in college than any other sport. That’s no secret.

By far more professionals from that area have been baseball players.
baseball1974 Wrote:I’m saying that in eastern KY you don’t get too many 6’5” and up athletes year after year. Which means, D1 coaches do not come around a lot because of that. Baseball is the one sport where that doesn’t weigh as much. If you look, there have been a lot more baseball players from eastern KY play in college than any other sport. That’s no secret.

Not true at all, Football has had way more kids given the opportunity to play than any other sport. Numbers do not even come close.

Professional is apples and oranges with all the Farm leagues.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Not true at all, Football has had way more kids given the opportunity to play than any other sport. Numbers do not even come close.

Professional is apples and oranges with all the Farm leagues.

To be honest I don’t know the actual numbers. Belfry football, Pikeville, Paintsville, Johnson Central, etc. have put a lot of football players into college. That is very true.
August West Wrote:Like others have said if you are a high level D1 prospect then concentrate on that sport. But if not play as many sports as possible. Looking back if I could do it all over I would tryout for every team and try to play ever sport. It goes by to fast and once your high school days are over there is no getting those days back.

Total BS. College coaches want kids who play multiple sports for a bunch of reasons. One major one being that they have shown an ability to balance athletics and academics throughout the entire year or most of it. COLLEGE COACHES WANT MULTI SPORT GUYS!!!
Play em all !! Id get bored to desth playing one sport year round ... Most kids dont even begin to mature til Jr year... Quit one too early might be a mistake... Ive seen kids grow 4-5 inches in a yr , keep all the doors open for. 99% of kids anyway
Let 'em play!! This is the last chance most will have to be an athlete. Play every sport possible as long as you're enjoying it.