Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 12 Lawrence County 2 - 15th Region Championship
Final after 5 innings from Shelby Valley.... JC went nuts in the 2nd inning scoring 6 runs.

2004 :1: :champ:
2007 :1: :champ:
2014 :1: :champ:
2016 :1: :champ:

JC will play the winner of Highlands vs. Beechwood (Region 9) next Thursday morning in the first round of the KHSAA State Baseball Tournament in Lexington.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Here is a list of Current 15th Region teams... How many times each team has been to the State Baseball Tournament and the last time they made the trip to the State Tournament.

Belfry: 1 (1961)
Betsy Layne: 1 (1950)
Johnson Central: 4 (2016)
Lawrence County: 5 (2015)
Paintsville: 8 (1990)
Pikeville: 2 (2012)
Prestonsburg: 5 (2013)

The following teams have never been to the State Baseball Tournament....
Allen Central, East Ridge, Magoffin County, Phelps, Shelby Valley, Sheldon Clark, South Floyd & Pike County Central.

Before the 2010 season, only Eight teams got to compete in the State Baseball Tournament.
There was Eight Semi-State Sectionals, with the winners getting to play for the State Title.
Now, each of the sixteen regional champions gets to play in the State Tournament. So the teams who have never been way have won the region and got to compete in a Semi-State Sectional, but they have never actually played for the state title.
Impressive run by Johnson Central for a team to win all 3 tournament games in 5 inning mercy rule games is impressive. I don't ever remember that happening.:Thumbs:
Pikeville has won 9 regional championships:
1991, 1992, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2010 and 2012.

Sheldon Clark won the region in 2006.

Betsy Layne won a regional title in the 90s.

Before the current state baseball format, 4 sectionals were held with 4 region winners competing in each section.

The winner of the sectional advanced to the final four the following weekend.
Pikeville Wrote:Pikeville has won 9 regional championships:

Before the current state baseball format, 4 sectionals were held with 4 region winners competing in each section.

http://khsaa.org/records/baseball/statec...played.pdf

This is where I got my info from.

There was a time when there was 4 sectionals & 8 sectionals (2003-2009).

The KHSAA scoreboard only goes back to the 1998 season... so I don't know how far back the 4 sectional alignment goes, the 4 sectional alignment ended in 2002.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Here is a list of Current 15th Region teams... How many times each team has been to the State Baseball Tournament and the last time they made the trip to the State Tournament.

Belfry: 1 (1961)
Betsy Layne: 1 (1950)
Johnson Central: 4 (2016)
Lawrence County: 5 (2015)
Paintsville: 8 (1990)
Pikeville: 2 (2012)
Prestonsburg: 5 (2013)

The following teams have never been to the State Baseball Tournament....
Allen Central, East Ridge, Magoffin County, Phelps, Shelby Valley, Sheldon Clark, South Floyd & Pike County Central.

Before the 2010 season, only Eight teams got to compete in the State Baseball Tournament.
There was Eight Semi-State Sectionals, with the winners getting to play for the State Title.
Now, each of the sixteen regional champions gets to play in the State Tournament. So the teams who have never been way have won the region and got to compete in a Semi-State Sectional, but they have never actually played for the state title.

Pikeville Wrote:Pikeville has won 9 regional championships:

And I never said anything about listing past regional champions, I listed how many times each current 15th Region team has been to the state baseball tournament and the last time each team went.
Actually the Sectionals were considered the State Tourny.

So if you won the Region. You were in the State Tourny.
Since taking over in 2004....

Coach Shawn Hall has over 300 wins, Six 57th District championships, Four trips to the actual state tournament, Two Elite Eight & One Final Four appearance.

Well done, Sir!!!
Based on their enrollment compared to the other schools, JC should win the 15th region every year.
:lame:
WinkWinkler Wrote:Based on their enrollment compared to the other schools, JC should win the 15th region every year.

We might need to change your name to scarecrow because you need a brain.

What JC has 300 more kids than Belfry or PCC that make the difference. Do the math. JC had 20 kids play high school baseball out of a 1000. Thus 1 out of 50 kids play baseball. If that is the case JC has a 6 kids a team advantage. 6 kids between 4 grades would be and average of 1.5 kids per class. Thus of the 6 maybe 3 paly varsity. No sure how that is such an advantage as you say. Hard to see how 3 kids can win a region ever year. :lame:
It's a huge advantage & it's not just a number but a big% when you consider only 9 play at a time. It should be a travesty any year JC is not in the Finals.
kids03 Wrote:It's a huge advantage & it's not just a number but a big% when you consider only 9 play at a time. It should be a travesty any year JC is not in the Finals.
It is an advantage, but not a huge one. Johnson County has always had very strong youth baseball organizations, and that is why both Paintsville (a small school) and Johnson Central have been able to field so many strong teams over the years. Both schools have outstanding high school coaches, which has not always been the case, and combined with a great feeder system - that is their recipe for success.

Baseball is a sport in which two dominant pitchers, a couple of other good ones, and a decent supporting cast can carry a team to a regional title. A truly outstanding pitcher can dominate a baseball game unlike any single player in either basketball or football.

The fact that a small 1A school like Paintsville has so many regional titles disproves the claim that Johnson Central should be winning the title every year. If enrollment was a huge factor in fielding championship baseball teams, Paintsville would be on the list of schools that have never won a title.
It seems a nerve has been struck but good to see a Johnson Countian putting their "common core" math skills to use:}
WinkWinkler Wrote:It seems a nerve has been struck but good to see a Johnson Countian putting their "common core" math skills to use:}
My first of five calculus classes was taken at Johnson Central. What kind of math background do you have?

There are good reasons why Kentucky schools are separated into classes in football, but not in baseball and basketball. Enrollment is really not all that important in baseball and you do not need to take calculus, advanced statistics, or linear algebra to figure that out. All you need to do is take note of the enrollment of past regional and state baseball championship teams. The state's largest school, Trinity, which dwarfs JC in enrollment, has never won a state baseball title. Trinity failed to win its region this season.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:My first of five calculus classes was taken at Johnson Central. What kind of math background do you have?

There are good reasons why Kentucky schools are separated into classes in football, but not in baseball and basketball. Enrollment is really not all that important in baseball and you do not need to take calculus, advanced statistics, or linear algebra to figure that out. All you need to do is take note of the enrollment of past regional and state baseball championship teams. The state's largest school, Trinity, which dwarfs JC in enrollment, has never won a state baseball title. Trinity failed to win its region this season.

Your whole post lacks common sense. It's real simple - a population of 1000 boys should beat a population of 100 boys in baseball 90% of the time. Anyone should be able to grasp that. Trinity is irrelevant. Class system is irrelevant. I think everyone understands the numbers game. geez.

Having said that, good luck to JC. They should be able to make some noise in Lexington.
jetpilot Wrote:Your whole post lacks common sense. It's real simple - a population of 1000 boys should beat a population of 100 boys in baseball 90% of the time. Anyone should be able to grasp that. Trinity is irrelevant. Class system is irrelevant. I think everyone understands the numbers game. geez.

Having said that, good luck to JC. They should be able to make some noise in Lexington.
I was defending a cheap shot at Johnson Central. JC does not have a pool of 1000 boys, and many boys who attend county schools never get to participate in sports like baseball because of transportation issues. So, a school like Pikeville or Paintsville normally has a much higher participation rate than county schools with much larger enrollments. That offsets much of the enrollment advantage that large county schools enjoy.

People should just congratulate teams for tournament wins and stop making the "they should dominate every year because..." excuses.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I was defending a cheap shot at Johnson Central. JC does not have a pool of 1000 boys, and many boys who attend county schools never get to participate in sports like baseball because of transportation issues. So, a school like Pikeville or Paintsville normally has a much higher participation rate than county schools with much larger enrollments. That offsets much of the enrollment advantage that large county schools enjoy.

People should just congratulate teams for tournament wins and stop making the "they should dominate every year because..." excuses.

Agreed. I'm rooting hard for JC. They have a legitimate shot of winning the whole thing IMO. Very deep and talented team.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I was defending a cheap shot at Johnson Central. JC does not have a pool of 1000 boys, and many boys who attend county schools never get to participate in sports like baseball because of transportation issues. So, a school like Pikeville or Paintsville normally has a much higher participation rate than county schools with much larger enrollments. That offsets much of the enrollment advantage that large county schools enjoy.

Very good evaluation. As a coach of a school sponsored sport we see the same result. Schools located at a greater distance from the high school or middle school have a greater percentage of kids that do not play once they leave their elementary feeder system because of transportation to late practices, picking up at the conclusion of after school practice and games. Also, smaller city schools had a baseball advantage in the past because most only had Little League that was played in the city and was run by individuals with city school ties which served as a very valuable recruiting tool to add kids to their school system.