Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Rebel" Team Mascots - Is it a big deal?
It keeps on going with Lee Mueller stirring up things again.
If I'm not mistaken --the remark about the Right Beaver CATS scores--comes from the way Mickey McGuire approached the flag/mascot subject at the November FCBOE meeting. Each board member was commenting on the CATS scores and the accomplishemnts of schools in the Right Beaver area. Mickey followed his comments about the schools accomplishments with his now infamous remark about the flag/mascot at ACHS and ACMS. The ACMS and ACHS supporters need to keep that in mind. Mickey McGuire made the remark and got the entire thing stirred up- he then walked away. We don't need to bring ourselves down to his level.
I have seen stickers on trucks that show a rebel flag flying over the whitehouse and the sticker says I have a dream,,,,kinda redneck isnt it?
I believe that the Rebel flag represents a time in our country that was not only depressing but it was also a symbol for the Southern United States. In my honest opinion, racism is a problem and it will always be a problem, theres nothing we can do about it. But the fact and the matter is, this is just a mascot, if we take out the rebel mascot out, then everybody will want the yankee mascot to be abolished.
Personally, I don't have an opinion on whether AC's flag should be taken away. I can see both sides in this, I can see how people could say that it's offensive and so on but I can also understand where everyone is coming from on keeping the flag. Unless I'm mistaking isn't South Floyd, Betsy Layne and Allen Central going to all be consolidating together when the road from Minnie to Harold is complete to form whatever new kind of school they are supposedly going to put there.
As anyone ever heard of Ole Miss Rebels??
Head Lobsta Wrote:As anyone ever heard of Ole Miss Rebels??

Or the UNLV rebels?

The flag my friends is a symbol of heritage. It offends me greatly when some one sees it as a racist thing. The flag dose not symbolize slavery. The flag was a Confederate Battle Flag. People like to critisize things they don't know. All respect to the David School. But forfiting(sp?) that game was kinda outta hand don't you think? You played them last year. And didn't they have the same mascot then?
I am not a racist person. But I am proud of what I am. And that is a Southern American. Which is why I will continue to fly my flag! And yes I do have one tattooed on my left arm and its huge. Heritage not Hate!!!!!!
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:Or the UNLV rebels?

The flag my friends is a symbol of heritage. It offends me greatly when some one sees it as a racist thing. The flag dose not symbolize slavery. The flag was a Confederate Battle Flag. People like to critisize things they don't know. All respect to the David School. But forfiting(sp?) that game was kinda outta hand don't you think? You played them last year. And didn't they have the same mascot then?
I am not a racist person. But I am proud of what I am. And that is a Southern American. Which is why I will continue to fly my flag! And yes I do have one tattooed on my left arm and its huge. Heritage not Hate!!!!!!
You cant tell certain people that
keep reading about race, is the coach of the David school black?
Please go to the website in my signature and sign the petition!

I think it is ridiculous for them to try and change the mascot now. At Allen Central the confed. flag does not symbolize racism, it is a symbol of pride for the school. People will try anything to get something started.
[B]Go Lady Vols! [/B]
There is no way that a mascot can cause problems!!! This is such a ridiculous attempt at getting attention "not "for David's basketball team, but for their sorry coach.If he really wanted to gain some notice and attention he should do it with his players on the court and not with his ink pen at the court house!!! IMO this is way I see things over this whole situation. GO REBELS!!!!!!!TongueirateSho TongueirateSho
Cali Wrote:People will try anything to get something started.

Yea this is true.
DTfan Wrote:Unless I'm mistaking isn't South Floyd, Betsy Layne and Allen Central going to all be consolidating together when the road from Minnie to Harold is complete to form whatever new kind of school they are supposedly going to put there.

That's what I've read.
As you can see by JR's research and as is known by anyone who studies history instead of media, the Civil War WAS NOT about slavery. But to serve certain interests, it has been drummed into our brains (and many people do not know the difference) that this was the ONLY reason for the Civil War.

This is stupid, and so is alot of the politically correct garbage! People need to llive life and not worry so much about some unintentional mistatement offending someone. Stop catering to the sensitive people. Otherwise, how far do you take it? Example, are any white people offended because they relate Pikeville's Panthers with the radical "Black Panther" group? Are any native americans offended by the Washington Redskins or the East Ridge Warriors? Maybe even Paintsville and other school's are offending dog lovers by using cat mascots? How far do you take it? It is stupid!

And if we are supposed to be so equal in our society, then why does the media keep drawing our attention to race? Example: After the Colts and Bears win the playoffs, it was stated that this was the first time that two african american head coaches were going to the super bowl. Well if everyone is equal and we are supposed to be so color blind, why bring it up? Who cares if it is the first or the fiftieth time? It shouldn't even matter. Yet the media starts making a big deal of it. All of this garbage (not just the AC stuff) is just media hype, people that have no life and want to stir up controversies, or just over sensitive people that think that the world should revolve around them.

I don't care what the Floyd Co. Board of Education or Allen Central does, but if it were me, I wouldn't change NOTHING!!
Nice post EKY Sportster.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I did some research and here is some of what I have found. Do with it what you will:

Why do so many people view the Confederate “Rebel” Flag as a symbol of hatred? Because the flag was used by the southern soldiers during the Civil War, and as children we were taught that the Civil War was fought over slavery. After years of research, I can tell you that the Civil War was fought because of more national issues than slavery. The war delt with the issues of political turmoil, high taxes, issues of states’ rights, the preservation of the Union, and other national factors.

• Total slave population of the United States – 3,950,528
  • Total number of slaves in Kentucky – 225,483
  • Total population of Kentucky in 1860 – 1,155,684
  • Percentage of slaves in Kentucky – 20%
  • According to the 1860 U.S. Census – only about 385,000 people owned slaves in the United States out of a population of about 31,000,000 (1.3%).

Compared slave populations of local states: Virginia – 31%, Tennessee – 25%, Missouri – 10%, Arkansas – 26%, Maryland – 13%

Eastern Kentucky counties slave populations in 1860

Lawrence: pop. 7,601, # of slaves 146, percentage of pop. 1.9%

Johnson: pop. 5,306, # of slaves 27, percentage of pop. 0.5%

Floyd: pop. 6,388, # of slaves 147, percentage of pop. 2.1%

Pike: pop. 7,384, # of slaves 97, percentage of pop. 1.3%

Morgan: pop. 9,237, # of slaves 170, percentage of pop. 1.8%

Magoffin: pop. 3,485, # of slaves 72, percentage of pop. 1.8%

Former “slaves” from Eastern Kentucky who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War:

William and Woody Davidson: brothers, slaves of the Davidson family of Floyd County, served in Co. B 10th Kentucky Cavalry, both were captured in action during the Battle of Saltville, VA on October 2, 1864, both were sent to Camp Chase Prison (OH) where they were released after the war.

George W. Honaker: served with his master – Captain James Honaker of Pike County – in Co. D 10th Kentucky Cavalry.

To me the "Stars and Bars" are a symbol of what a few of my ancestors fought for, yes I had some great-great-great grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy. Did they own slaves at any time, NO!! Do I believe that they fought for slavery, NO!! They were defending their rights that were given to them in the Consititution. Does this mean that I support the instituion of slavery, NO!!!!!! I think it was a horrible instituion, but one that was supported by some in Eastern Kentucky by people who actively fought for the Union Army as well as by some who fought in the Confederate Army. What is even more astonishing, and something people don't realize is that there were free blacks in the South who actually owned slaves!!!! For example, here are some more statistics:

Slave holders in the Deep South who were black or former slaves:

Justus Angel (Colleton, SC) – owned 84 slaves in 1830

Mistress L. Horry (Colleton, SC) – owned 84 slaves in 1830
  • In 1830 South Carolina ¼ of free black slave masters owned 10 or more slaves (8 people owned 30 or more slaves).
  • In 1860 125 blacks owned slaves in Charleston, SC, six owned 10 or more.
  • In 1860 William Ellison was South Carolina’s largest black slaveholder. He had been born as a slave in 1790 and by the mid 1840s he had built a small cotton empire. By 1860 he owned more than 900 acres of land and 63 slaves. His sons, who lived on his plantation, owned an additional 9 slaves. He had a reputation as a harsh master, and his slaves were said to be the county’s worst fed and clothed. His family actively supported the Confederate States Government and his oldest grandson served in the Confederate Army.
  • In 1860 New Orleans over 3,000 free blacks owned slaves (out of a black population of 10,689, or 28%)
  • In 1860 Louisiana, six blacks owned 65 or more slaves, the largest were owned by the widow C. Richards and her son P. C. Richards who also owned a sugar plantation – they owned some 152 slaves. Another free black who owned slaves in Louisiana was Antoine Dubuclet who owned over 100 slaves and whose estate was valued at $264,000 in 1860. He later became the Louisiana State treasurer during Reconstruction (1868-1877).
  • In 1860 North Carolina 69 free blacks owned slaves.
  • In Richmond, VA in 1863 Gilbert Hunt, an ex-slave blacksmith, owned two slaves, a house (valued at 1,376), and $500 in other properties.
So is the rebel flag as sign of racism? I think not, I believe that is as much as a synbol of the American flag. It tells the story of a struggle, of people and their beliefs. I will leave you with some quotes that I have found that I thought were interesting:
[size=3]

“I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so.”

- Abraham Lincoln, 1st Inaugural Address 1861

“My paramount objective in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not to save or destroy slavery.”

- Abraham Lincoln, letter to Horace Greeley of the New York Daily Tribune 1862

“If I thought this war was to abolish slavery, I would resign my commission, and offer my sword to the other side.”

- Union General, later 18th President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant[/size]

GREAT POST J!:Thumbs: Confusedalute:
EKY Sportster Wrote:Are any native americans offended by the Washington Redskins? !

Yes some of them are, and several tribes sent their leaders to Washington DC and spoke before Congress about the matter, and the speech that was given was...
Well not the normal type of speech that you hear in DC.
I will try to find a link. I think several people will get a kick out of it, to say the least.
Interesting points made by JR...BUT here is the thing......there was a Union army and a Confederate army.....EACH with its own flag....REGARDLESS of what that did or did not stand for, it was their symbol.....THE UNION WON.....if the Confederate Army was fighting against another nation and lost, do you honestly think that nation would allow the Confederate flag to hang?? NO....and if the Confederate army won the Civil War, do you honestly think they would allow the Union flag to hang.....NO....I know that there were many men, women and children both slaves and nonslaves who died defending what they believe in and it is a part of history...BUT that is NOT what the majority of people use the Confederate flag for.....it has become a symbol of hatred......and change does happen over time....if everything stayed the same, this conversation wouldnt even be a topic.....I honestly dont think ANY HUMAN should be used as a mascot for anything....Indians, rebels, patriots, warriors, redskins.....etc etc etc etc.....in fact I have never understood how ANY person can judge any other just by the skin color ( and yes I am white, so white that I make Casper look tanned ) BUT its just weird how SOME whites hate the Native Americans and African Americans when in fact the Indians were on this continent longggg before whites AND it was Whites who brought African Americans to this continent to do the things they were too damn lazy to do themselves!!! MY OPNION ....if it makes you mad then I dont really give a crap.....and besides the majority of the people who are defending the Confederate flag are only doing it to get their 15 SECONDS of "fame" in the spotlight of local TV cameras...I sure didnt see any (excuse my words here) black kids and parents defending the flag on the local TV interviews!! shhhhesssh.....its REDICULOUS!!!! If the US made a low to take down the flag from a state builiding...what in the world makes you think it should hang in ANY school in the US????
FAIR_GAME_FAN Wrote:I sure didnt see any (excuse my words here) black kids and parents defending the flag on the local TV interviews!!

Actually on the Outside the Lines segment concerning this subject in South Carolina on ESPN there was an African American male protesting FOR the flag and he was actually interviewed by the camera crew. It was a shock to me as well because this man (who was from SC) was wearing a hat composed of the entire rebel flag and he was waving a rebel flag in his hands!! It was a little weird to see this!!!