Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin 66 Shelby Valley 65
Great win Hornets. Win #20
Great win tonight, now just carry it over next week against Paintsville.
Was Hicks coaching?
Yes!
Congrats on a very good regular season.
Nice win on the road , great season Magoffin
TSizzle Wrote:Was Hicks coaching?

Yes, he seemed more mellow last night. Probably knew this was his last game he will coach on the SV sidelines in the Valley gym. Hopefully, SV will make a great hire. Todd May and/ or Elisha Justice would be great hires IMO.

Feel bad for the SV boys to have to finish their regular season with 5 straight losses. Piarist win doesn't count IMO. Hicks knows the blame has to go on him after all the distractions he has brought on himself. Running off Kobe Brown and then the Pikeville episode. All distractions that have hurt the team and took the focus off of winning.

Luckily for the board of education, there is no tenure for coaches and they are all on one year contracts. Todd and Elisha, please get your resumes ready.

Like to congratulate Hunter for being named player of the year in the 15th region and a finalist for Kentucky's Mr. Basketball!!! You had a great career Hunter. Good luck against ER next week.
Shelby Valley sure has fallen on some hard times. They continue to put together some solid seasons, but not at the level they are a custom too. The tradition of Vigie High School and that continued dominance with Valley in the late 90's and 2000's was second to none in the 15th Region. Hopefully they can right the ship, it makes the entire region better when we have all teams competing at a high level.
Did anybody get smacked?:biggrin:
Baseball Man Wrote:Shelby Valley sure has fallen on some hard times. They continue to put together some solid seasons, but not at the level they are a custom too. The tradition of Vigie High School and that continued dominance with Valley in the late 90's and 2000's was second to none in the 15th Region. Hopefully they can right the ship, it makes the entire region better when we have all teams competing at a high level.

Are you saying they have not been successful for the last few years? I feel they have done well,even this year with the inexperienced players they have. Example: JC lost players and everyone said they will go through a rough year,compare that to SV losing 4 starters and all of a sudden they are not competitive---give me a break....
No, I am not. I said they have had some solid seasons. Just not at the level they had been a custom too! Meanin winning a region championship in a while. They have been VERY competitive, winning several district titles and advancing to the region, even winning the class a region.

I feel it makes our region as a whole stronger when you have several teams in the running for a region title every year. I did not mean at all that they were not competitive. Just want to see our REGION get stronger.
jetpilot Wrote:Did anybody get smacked?:biggrin:

Nope. The Mays and Lee Jones weren't there to start any trouble so things stayed pretty calm.
Motley Wrote:Nope. The Mays and Lee Jones weren't there to start any trouble so things stayed pretty calm.

You are an idiot to call people out on here. Just to set the record straight, the people this idiot is referring to are very fine people and have never been in one iota of trouble in their lives. :gtfo:
jetpilot Wrote:You are an idiot to call people out on here. Just to set the record straight, the people this idiot is referring to are very fine people and have never been in one iota of trouble in their lives. :gtfo:

I do not even see why those guys from Pikeville acted like they did.
They won the game geez
Warthog Wrote:I do not even see why those guys from Pikeville acted like they did.
They won the game geez

That should tell you the SV folks aren't painting a true picture of what happened. Geez.
Shelby Valley has just fell apart. It's definitely time to go in a new direction.
I am not fond of coaching changes because more often than not they do more harm than good. But in the case of Shelby Valley I think it may be a good idea. Not because they are struggling but because the people I talk to that are close to that program keep blaming the fans and players, and in that case I see more and worse struggles in the future. Not once have they thought Hicks has made a mistake or isn't a coaching legend. It's always the players or the fans to blame. I kept my opinion out of the mess that happened with Pukeville, but this is where I am going to set the staff up there straight. Valley has a good team. You have a Mr. Basketball candidate and hands down best player in the region in Swindall, and Wright was hands down the best freshman in the region two years ago and is still a region top 5. Beverly can shoot, Layne is a natural athlete, and Johnson is doing really well at point with the little experience he has, and he can't help that position was fumbled up to mid season. So you all can't blame the players or a lack of talent for Valley's short comings. You were given both when you took the job, and your job was to make something out if them. If we had a packed house every night and the best 8 players in the state we wouldn't need a coach, just a bus driver to get them to the games. Except for maybe Lawrence County, Valley has the best players in the region, and up until this year had a better fan base than schools three times it's size. So please find another excuse, because developing players and building or keeping a fan base is your job. No one is going to develop players for you or put buts in seats just to let you stand on the sidelines and collect trophies.

Valley out rebounded Magoffin, had better scoring %, all thebthings good players do Valley was better at. But they played to close to their men. You give wuicker guys a step, the committed backcourt violations, they committed fouls 90 ft from the basket, the took a two when they needed a three. They had the better players, but it looked like to me no one has taught them how to play the game.
McLovin Wrote:I am not fond of coaching changes because more often than not they do more harm than good. But in the case of Shelby Valley I think it may be a good idea. Not because they are struggling but because the people I talk to that are close to that program keep blaming the fans and players, and in that case I see more and worse struggles in the future. Not once have they thought Hicks has made a mistake or isn't a coaching legend. It's always the players or the fans to blame. I kept my opinion out of the mess that happened with Pukeville, but this is where I am going to set the staff up there straight. Valley has a good team. You have a Mr. Basketball candidate and hands down best player in the region in Swindall, and Wright was hands down the best freshman in the region two years ago and is still a region top 5. Beverly can shoot, Layne is a natural athlete, and Johnson is doing really well at point with the little experience he has, and he can't help that position was fumbled up to mid season. So you all can't blame the players or a lack of talent for Valley's short comings. You were given both when you took the job, and your job was to make something out if them. If we had a packed house every night and the best 8 players in the state we wouldn't need a coach, just a bus driver to get them to the games. Except for maybe Lawrence County, Valley has the best players in the region, and up until this year had a better fan base than schools three times it's size. So please find another excuse, because developing players and building or keeping a fan base is your job. No one is going to develop players for you or put buts in seats just to let you stand on the sidelines and collect trophies.

Valley out rebounded Magoffin, had better scoring %, all thebthings good players do Valley was better at. But they played to close to their men. You give wuicker guys a step, the committed backcourt violations, they committed fouls 90 ft from the basket, the took a two when they needed a three. They had the better players, but it looked like to me no one has taught them how to play the game.

With your obvious expertise in coaching,you should consider a career in teaching the the game to coaches who are employed as such. Three new players starting this year(actually four because Wright didn't start last year) I would say that SV has the team with the least amount of minutes played than 90 per cent of teams in the 15th region. It is obvious that you are a hater of Hicks and that is your choice,but I'm sure the staff and true fans of SV don't need you to "set them straight". History shows they have done an o k and you will see they will continue to do so. Thanks for your concerns though!!!!!
McLovin Wrote:I am not fond of coaching changes because more often than not they do more harm than good. But in the case of Shelby Valley I think it may be a good idea. Not because they are struggling but because the people I talk to that are close to that program keep blaming the fans and players, and in that case I see more and worse struggles in the future. Not once have they thought Hicks has made a mistake or isn't a coaching legend. It's always the players or the fans to blame. I kept my opinion out of the mess that happened with Pukeville, but this is where I am going to set the staff up there straight. Valley has a good team. You have a Mr. Basketball candidate and hands down best player in the region in Swindall, and Wright was hands down the best freshman in the region two years ago and is still a region top 5. Beverly can shoot, Layne is a natural athlete, and Johnson is doing really well at point with the little experience he has, and he can't help that position was fumbled up to mid season. So you all can't blame the players or a lack of talent for Valley's short comings. You were given both when you took the job, and your job was to make something out if them. If we had a packed house every night and the best 8 players in the state we wouldn't need a coach, just a bus driver to get them to the games. Except for maybe Lawrence County, Valley has the best players in the region, and up until this year had a better fan base than schools three times it's size. So please find another excuse, because developing players and building or keeping a fan base is your job. No one is going to develop players for you or put buts in seats just to let you stand on the sidelines and collect trophies.

With your obvious expertise in coaching,you should consider a career in teaching the the game to coaches who are employed as such. Three new players starting this year(actually four because Wright didn't start last year) I would say that SV has the team with the least amount of minutes played than 90 per cent of teams in the 15th region. It is obvious that you are a hater of Hicks and that is your choice,but I'm sure the staff and true fans of SV don't need you to "set them straight". History shows they have done an o k and you will see they will continue to do so. Thanks for your concerns though!!!!!
Worth saying twice!! My bad!! LOL
Thanks for proving my point. Guess it is obvious who I am talking about now. If you disagree with the programs direction you are a jealous parent, bad fan, or a legend hater. Only the people who bow down and agree that it is all the players fault, the fans fault, or the refs who cheat every game is a "True Fan". No. True fans love to watch the PLAYERS, not the COACH, they love and respect the game and it's rules, and at Valley they respect the legacy that was built by many great PLAYERS and FANS, and coaches. They also realize that coaches make mistakes and are patient when they are recognized and fixed. This can't be done though because Hicks is a legend and doesn't make any. It's all the fans and players that are making the mistakes. I get it though, if you make it seem like your fans don't support the program and your players have no talent, then every loss is inevitable and every win is coaching genius by Hicks. If you disagree with Hicks deserving credit for every win and the players, fans, and refs responsible for every loss then you are a Hater and not a True Fan. Guess I am a hater then but I think Valley has the second most talent in the Region and could have and should have had a better team one by now if certain players hadn't quit and others had been developed properly.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I do think Hicks is a good coach(not a legend,that would be his uncle). He coaches with passion and enthusiasm and knows the game. Treats his players like they are family. You let one of his players need help and he will help them. He works kids hard and is demanding of them on the floor,they will be stronger and able to cope with life's problems because of this. These are my opinions and I am entitled to have them. You have your opinions and are entitled to have yours. Oh by the way no one mentioned a jealous parent except you. McLovin or McBitter?
Yell and scream, blame everyone else and attempt violence. Real way to cope with problems in life. No, not a parent. Just listing all the people you have pointed a finger at in your defense. Every post about him on here the same people try to paint anyone with a negative opinion as a hater, bitter, bad fan, quitter or something. Hate to break it to you but there ain't enough paint at Lowe's and Sherman Williams combined to cover everyone at Shelby Valley who thinks that program couldn't be doing a lot better. How on Earth has football and girls basketball overcome the odds with all the bad fans, bad parents, and bad players.
McLovin Wrote:Yell and scream, blame everyone else and attempt violence. Real way to cope with problems in life. No, not a parent. Just listing all the people you have pointed a finger at in your defense. Every post about him on here the same people try to paint anyone with a negative opinion as a hater, bitter, bad fan, quitter or something. Hate to break it to you but there ain't enough paint at Lowe's and Sherman Williams combined to cover everyone at Shelby Valley who thinks that program couldn't be doing a lot better. How on Earth has football and girls basketball overcome the odds with all the bad fans, bad parents, and bad players.

Football has had 1 good year in the history of the program. Sorry but winning region is the only thing I consider overcoming the odds and having a good season. And by the way, with coaches from outside of the area they haven't overcome the odds with the fans who don't like outsiders running their programs. (Saunders, Norman) That leaves girls basketball. Might want to thank the feeder programs for that. Rowe can use talent given to him but can't develop it. Fact is the glory days at SV are non existent right now and SV fans got spoiled a few years back. Funny how nobody was calling for Newsome to quit after back to back years of not even making region tournament.
What has Todd May been doing? I've not heard of him in a while, does he coach in another area of the state.
Mjolnir Wrote:I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I do think Hicks is a good coach(not a legend,that would be his uncle). He coaches with passion and enthusiasm and knows the game. Treats his players like they are family. You let one of his players need help and he will help them. He works kids hard and is demanding of them on the floor,they will be stronger and able to cope with life's problems because of this. These are my opinions and I am entitled to have them. You have your opinions and are entitled to have yours. Oh by the way no one mentioned a jealous parent except you. McLovin or McBitter?

Passionate and Enthusiastic are synonyms for Frantic, Whinny, or Verbally Abusive? lol. When I watch him I only see the type of passion associated with a hate crime maybe!