•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County Coaching search
NextGeneration Wrote:This is shocking, it seems no one with any experience will touch the Bell County job.

If you ever have the opportunity to talk to the decision makers you will know why nobody will take it.
Finis Wrote:If you ever have the opportunity to talk to the decision makers you will know why nobody will take it.

Come to think of it, when you look at all of the jobs that have come open the last few years; even last year with 54, there aren't but a couple-few every year that are being filled by current head coaches at other schools.

Every place has its poison. None are perfect. It's a lot to up and move families all over in a profession, at least in this state, where there is no financial advancement (sometimes pay cuts are taken).
IMO this is what you fight here......everyone wants to compete with Boyle Counties, Corbin's , Belfry's and those type programs. The administration has yet to invest what those programs have in Coaches pay, coaching positions, weight lifting classes for all athletes. Not to mention a group effort at the middle school level. We probably have 3 middle schools where not one kid plays football. There are so many other little things that make programs successful that we do not do. We basically hire someone and say there you go ,beat Boyle County. Just using them for reference. we have to invest completely in our athletic programs , the same way we try to do our academics. It can be done, just look at the schools I mentioned.
WhyLie Wrote:IMO this is what you fight here......everyone wants to compete with Boyle Counties, Corbin's , Belfry's and those type programs. The administration has yet to invest what those programs have in Coaches pay, coaching positions, weight lifting classes for all athletes. Not to mention a group effort at the middle school level. We probably have 3 middle schools where not one kid plays football. There are so many other little things that make programs successful that we do not do. We basically hire someone and say there you go ,beat Boyle County. Just using them for reference. we have to invest completely in our athletic programs , the same way we try to do our academics. It can be done, just look at the schools I mentioned.

No, no, no this is Bell county we wave a magic wand and it is suppose to happen. :lmao:
It will NOT change till Superintendent is gone.
Basically since 1990 all the schools in Laurel, Clay, Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan counties, including Corbin, have been trying to get to where Bell Co is. Corbin hasn't won a state championship since 82. Bell has 2 since then. I personally think Corbin has wasted more talent over the last 33 years than anyone. I I just mean by that they have had the talent to win it all a few times and have not produced. I just think this Bell Co gloom despair and agony on me is a little premature!
footballfever Wrote:Are you saying football brings in enough $$ through gate admission to finance football???

If not for football, most schools couldn't have baseball, softball, volleyball, etc. Football is the lifeline to all other sports.

Gat admission isn't the half of it. You think fundraising and boosters are important? Without football, most of your boosters at most schools would be gone. Football in one form or another is essential for all sports.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If not for football, most schools couldn't have baseball, softball, volleyball, etc. Football is the lifeline to all other sports.

Gat admission isn't the half of it. You think fundraising and boosters are important? Without football, most of your boosters at most schools would be gone. Football in one form or another is essential for all sports.

It's a truth most don't want to know or they know and just don't want to admit.

Even sports like baseball (which I love), do their best to make even. About the only times baseball makes any money off the gate is if it's a big time district match up, and even then it's a push.
footballfever Wrote:Basically since 1990 all the schools in Laurel, Clay, Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan counties, including Corbin, have been trying to get to where Bell Co is. Corbin hasn't won a state championship since 82. Bell has 2 since then. I personally think Corbin has wasted more talent over the last 33 years than anyone. I I just mean by that they have had the talent to win it all a few times and have not produced. I just think this Bell Co gloom despair and agony on me is a little premature!

Bell has had a lot of really good coaching during those years, not just head coaches but assistants as well. People that loved the program and players. All of those guys had a few things in common in the fact that they out-worked nearly every other staff in the state and they believed in what they were doing. In turn the players did too. The administration has choose to go "in a new direction and bring in new blood." In turn they cut ties with every coach on the staff. They want to hire someone that has zero ties to Bell co. Football. It doesn't seem to be going well?? Anything less than 10 wins are a disappointment on Log Mountain. Win less than 5 and the sky maybe falling. Not many "outsiders" want that pressure, then add on the pay, a full class schedule, no assistants and very little support in the school it doesn't seem all the attractive.
OK RunIt and Fly you've set me straight. But let's be very very quite and not let Barbourville know.🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀
Top.... Dudley had zero ties to Bell, Greer had zero ties to Bell and did Mills play HS ball at Bell or Knox??
footballfever Wrote:Top.... Dudley had zero ties to Bell, Greer had zero ties to Bell and did Mills play HS ball at Bell or Knox??

The ties with Greer ang Mills is that they were in the Bell football family. That was their tie.
footballfever Wrote:OK RunIt and Fly you've set me straight. But let's be very very quite and not let Barbourville know.🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀

How many sports programs does Barbourville have?
footballfever Wrote:Top.... Dudley had zero ties to Bell, Greer had zero ties to Bell and did Mills play HS ball at Bell or Knox??

Both where longtime assistant coaches at Bell, both for over a decade. Sorry I took it for granted most consuming this thread knew that.
footballfever Wrote:Basically since 1990 all the schools in Laurel, Clay, Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan counties, including Corbin, have been trying to get to where Bell Co is. Corbin hasn't won a state championship since 82. Bell has 2 since then. I personally think Corbin has wasted more talent over the last 33 years than anyone. I I just mean by that they have had the talent to win it all a few times and have not produced. I just think this Bell Co gloom despair and agony on me is a little premature!

I agree, the good ol' boy network really fell into place at Corbin after the Whitaker fiasco. I think the best thing coach haddix did at Corbin was get rid of the good ol' boy network. Being a booster doesn't guarantee your son a starting position. The best player plays. Also you have to compete for a starting position every week. For the last two years, a sophomore o-lineman has taken a starting position late in the year. Kids used to work their tails off till they earned a starting spot then got lazy. Kids know they have an equal opportunity to play. Corbin used to have 40-45 kids on a roster. Now they have 80-85. BIG DIFFERENCE!! The sky isn't falling at bell county. They may go through a tough stretch the next couple of years but that means they win 8-10 games a year and compete for a district and region championship.
footballfever Wrote:OK RunIt and Fly you've set me straight. But let's be very very quite and not let Barbourville know.🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀🏈🏀

I've never understood why Barbourville hasn't started a program.

No need for a field, just use Union College (Adair County has started using Lindsey Wilson's some they more or less break even on what they'd spend it paint for theirs, they pay to rent LWC's).

Practice in the baseball outfield.

They would be 1A. They'd maybe only have 30 kids 9-12, but so what, as does everybody else that they'd have to compete against (for the most part, some more and some even less).
TopCat Wrote:Both where longtime assistant coaches at Bell, both for over a decade. Sorry I took it for granted most consuming this thread knew that.

Yea I knew. I've know Coach Greer for 35 years. I just took it for granted that most consumed in this thread knew once a Redhound always a Redhound. Good luck with your search.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I've never understood why Barbourville hasn't started a program.

No need for a field, just use Union College (Adair County has started using Lindsey Wilson's some they more or less break even on what they'd spend it paint for theirs, they pay to rent LWC's).

Practice in the baseball outfield.

They would be 1A. They'd maybe only have 30 kids 9-12, but so what, as does everybody else that they'd have to compete against (for the most part, some more and some even less).

Barbourville just has about 80 boys in the high school. Very few schools in the state play football with an enrollment that low, and all those have played football for years, from what I can remember.
HCS Wrote:Barbourville just has about 80 boys in the high school. Very few schools in the state play football with an enrollment that low, and all those have played football for years, from what I can remember.

Good point.

Fulton County, Fulton City, Caverna, Pineville, Dayton and Jenkins are the only ones who seem to average around 100 or less that play, and they've been playing for years. Under the old 4 class system, I'd say forget it, but under the 6 class system I think it'd be "easier" (whatever that means) to start one up compared to the old days.

One thing about it, they are wedged right between two of the smallest football playing schools as is in Pineville and Jenkins.
It would be easier to compete, I agree.
I'm guessing the cost of starting a program (uniforms, equipment etc.) would be too much for a small school district to start from scratch, since you'd also want to have teams for the 7-8 level and probably 5-6. Some schools that small have only about 20 players. I think it would be a very costly gamble to start a program that may not survive.
HCS Wrote:Barbourville just has about 80 boys in the high school. Very few schools in the state play football with an enrollment that low, and all those have played football for years, from what I can remember.

While this is true I do think starting a program would boost barbourvilles inrollment. They are by far the better academic option in Knox county. I personally know around 5-10 kids who went to Knox central just to play football. B-Ville had a team until around 1964.
footballfever Wrote:I agree. But it costs around 70,000 to run a program for a year. Some years more when new uniforms are needed. Gate $$ will barely if even cover coaches salaries! All I'm saying is football can't come close to covering itself without booster $$ fundraisers etc.

Confusedtare:
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:Bell's budget is a lot less than 70,000. They probably dont spend that much in 2 seasons.

What are the coaches stipends at Bell per year? When you factor that in it doesn't take long to get to $70,000. Fuel costs and overtime pay for drivers is another big expense. Maintenance on fields is another big expense. Bell has saved that expense by spending $500,000 on an artificial surface. $70,000. looks like a pretty solid number.
Not exactly sure but I think these are the numbers for all high school sports. Coaching stipends for FOOTBALL $1,250 x 5 then 3,000 x 1. The coaches that get 1,250 can get up to a whopping 2k with 20 years experience. Bell don't pay anything close to teams around them.

Most of the food and anything extra the players get outside of uniforms comes from the boosters. The actual monies they get from the school pays for equipment reconditioning and uniforms when new 1's are ordered. I know some of the football uniforms are at least 8 years old. I would think 70k would be a little high for Bell co.
So Monday is here still no coach???? Maybe the Super is trying to get rid of the "Guitar Hero" Mr.Gambrel. She can't be that dumb enrollment may start heading to the city now!!
What time is the press conference? Will it be live-streamed? Smile
Any prospects on who they are interviewing?
Wymt will be there, catch it at 6 pm.......
Embarrassing, some of the names I am hearing that are even being considered for this job.
Trenches07 Wrote:Embarrassing, some of the names I am hearing that are even being considered for this job.

Who are you hearing? Will they make a hire today?
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next