•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2016
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Three years ago.....opportunities existed where Freshman like Bentley, Raquan Horton, Dotson and others were able to gain significant Varsity time.....especially once the Playoffs began. Those adjustments led to the first championship in this run Belfry's on. Whether or not opportunities of that magnitude will be available this year is doubtful. I do think plenty of underclassmen will see some varsity time (mop up duty).....but it would be a mistake to judge the ability of this incoming freshman class...along with the returning sophomores based upon their overall impact on this season. The Junior and Senior talent is completely off the charts for a program this size.

People across 3A are thinking Belfry's run is over after this season. Some of the household names are gonna change.....but IMO, if these kids all stay together( economy, job transfers)....the winning and competing at a very high level is not going away any time soon.
I totally agree this yr is going to be a great yr but it's long from being over We just reload that's because of great coaching and great talent
My post was a little unclear. I meant the class of 2020 would start seeing the most PT as sophomores, not freshman. Upper class has so much talent there's not a lot of holes.
Belfry0304 Wrote:My post was a little unclear. I meant the class of 2020 would start seeing the most PT as sophomores, not freshman. Upper class has so much talent there's not a lot of holes.

I knew what you ment I was agreeing with you were not going to be as big next year up front but we're still going to be pretty good and we will still be Champs until somebody can take it away from us I think people is sitting there self up for a heartbreaker if they think we're not going to be very good in 2017
I have heard rumors (and I stress RUMORS) that this could be Haywood's last year. I hope that's not true, because any young man would be better by having him as a coach, IMO.

Have you guys heard anything about that?
Granny Bear Wrote:I have heard rumors (and I stress RUMORS) that this could be Haywood's last year. I hope that's not true, because any young man would be better by having him as a coach, IMO.

Have you guys heard anything about that?

Trust me there's no truth to it he's in great health and his wife is to so he's not going anytime so
Believe me, I am glad to hear it!! High school level sports need more people like Coach Haywood.
Don't look now but was told the 6th grade group that is coming up could be the best ever at Belfry. That would put them as Freshmen when the group of freshmen we have now are seniors. That's a scary thought. How many years of championships can this run go. How many Division 1 coaches will be at every home game.
Facts ^ time will tell but that group has some serious potential.
proud44pirate Wrote:Don't look now but was told the 6th grade group that is coming up could be the best ever at Belfry. That would put them as Freshmen when the group of freshmen we have now are seniors. That's a scary thought. How many years of championships can this run go. How many Division 1 coaches will be at every home game.

Wow. High praise. Have to see it to believe it! Smile This current group is very, very special......and they have set the bar at a level few would have dreamed of 4-5 years ago. However....success breeds success....and there is a tremendous amount of talent on this team WITHOUT the Senior Class.

I'll continue to say it.....if these kids all stay together....and the lack of jobs and the poor economy doesn't force many to leave the area.....It's going to be very difficult to wrestle the 3A Championship away from Pond Creek for the next few years.
I have talked to Belfry0304 offline about this and I still think that if you are going to get Belfry, 2017 is your best shot.

I love what Belfry has coming up, I love the kids like Derek Wellman, Devin Varney, etc that will be Seniors in 2017... but I am just being pragmatic and looking at the fact Belfry will be losing 7-8 starters each way. Included in that group will be 4 or 5 guys who have started 4 years, 4 D-1 players at the LOS, an All-State kicker, the starting QB, and probably 5 or 6 guys that will have a plague in the Belfry Hall of Fame.

There is no doubt the incoming Freshman Class along with the players ahead of them will keep Belfry at a State Title contending level, but that is a wave of players and experience you are being asked to replace unlike anything to ever come out of EKY...and arguably from a small school in Kentucky period

The best thing that can happen to Belfry this year is they live up to the hype and then some. If these kids go out and have a legendary season and Belfry blows out a bunch of the teams on the schedule that means more and more reps for these younger guys against the 1's from a quality team and subsequently less of a learning curve when they ae asked to step in and carry the torch in 2017.

At the end of the day though you are about to lose probably the greatest Defensive Player to come through Pond Creek and arguably three of the best OLinemen. You dont just fill those holes overnight.

I still say Taveon Hunter is the X Factor. If that kid works his tail off he can make a huge difference in 2016 and an even bigger difference going forward to 2017. Hensley is going to be a stud... but it is asking a lot to step in as a Freshman. Varney and Adkins are both excellent HB's but they also are guys you cant risk losing on Defense.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I have talked to Belfry0304 offline about this and I still think that if you are going to get Belfry, 2017 is your best shot.

I love what Belfry has coming up, I love the kids like Derek Wellman, Devin Varney, etc that will be Seniors in 2017... but I am just being pragmatic and looking at the fact Belfry will be losing 7-8 starters each way. Included in that group will be 4 or 5 guys who have started 4 years, 4 D-1 players at the LOS, an All-State kicker, the starting QB, and probably 5 or 6 guys that will have a plague in the Belfry Hall of Fame.

There is no doubt the incoming Freshman Class along with the players ahead of them will keep Belfry at a State Title contending level, but that is a wave of players and experience you are being asked to replace unlike anything to ever come out of EKY...and arguably from a small school in Kentucky period

The best thing that can happen to Belfry this year is they live up to the hype and then some. If these kids go out and have a legendary season and Belfry blows out a bunch of the teams on the schedule that means more and more reps for these younger guys against the 1's from a quality team and subsequently less of a learning curve when they ae asked to step in and carry the torch in 2017.

At the end of the day though you are about to lose probably the greatest Defensive Player to come through Pond Creek and arguably three of the best OLinemen. You dont just fill those holes overnight.

I still say Taveon Hunter is the X Factor. If that kid works his tail off he can make a huge difference in 2016 and an even bigger difference going forward to 2017. Hensley is going to be a stud... but it is asking a lot to step in as a Freshman. Varney and Adkins are both excellent HB's but they also are guys you cant risk losing on Defense.

Agreed. Additionally......I hope and pray that Browning gets his share of reps behind Corbett (QB). IMO...Corbett really came on during post-season and shined brightly against Lex Cath. I think he's a difference maker on offense this coming season. I look for him to do big things. That being said.....Avery Browning is the real deal. The more experience he gains this season, will better prepare him for taking over the reigns in 2017.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Agreed. Additionally......I hope and pray that Browning gets his share of reps behind Corbett (QB). IMO...Corbett really came on during post-season and shined brightly against Lex Cath. I think he's a difference maker on offense this coming season. I look for him to do big things. That being said.....Avery Browning is the real deal. The more experience he gains this season, will better prepare him for taking over the reigns in 2017.

Completely agree

Those games he started last year were valuable experience

How many Freshman QB's have started against NewCath and won? Very short list if there is even a list to be made
Avery is a stud and a great kid. Haywood may be set at QB for the next 5 seasons... QB going into 8th grade is a very good, smart player and is up to about 6 foot already.
Got a 6th grade kid coming in this year if not next that plays QB and has all the eyes in Knoxville on him. Already on the elite 100 watch list. His dad is suppose to come in and head up the fiber job in Pikeville. I worked with him in NY and when he mentioned about a job coming to Pikeville I put the Belfry bug in his ear. He called me after watching the middle school and high schools high light videos. His boy is ready to be a Pirate soon as the high tech building starts going in.
Sani Warren told me playing QB at Belfry benefitted him greatly in college. Said he learned to lead and make good reads and wth all the read option stuff it was basically the same thing with a little more time to read
I hear From a pretty reliable source that Belfry is trying to fill the open date with a team from up near Cleveland OH.......any truth???
COACHITALL Wrote:I hear From a pretty reliable source that Belfry is trying to fill the open date with a team from up near Cleveland OH.......any truth???

Yes it is the truth but I haven't heard if they got it finalized I'm sure he'll tell the boys soon if we got it
COACHITALL Wrote:I hear From a pretty reliable source that Belfry is trying to fill the open date with a team from up near Cleveland OH.......any truth???
True, but details, mainly financial, trying to be worked out. Nothing final as of right now.
It's almost time to get started can't wait
bucslover68 Wrote:True, but details, mainly financial, trying to be worked out. Nothing final as of right now.

Any additional news on adding this game?
I'm hoping to watch Belfry in the state title game, AGAIN!!
The boys are ready to get back to it
They will be back at state, best team in the mountians
I'll take a stab at some candidates to start at the open offensive position candidates if someone else will stab at defense.

RB:
Devin Varney
Taveon Hunter
Justin Adkins

OL:
Justin Barker
Austin Lawson
Austin Fields (Move Whitt to tackle?)

I feel like I'm missing someone.
any of those would be good
Just saw a photo from Justin Rowland from Rivals of Austin Dotson. Just when I thought he couldn't get scarier, he has beefed up to about 320.
Topofthemtn Wrote:They will be back at state, best team in the mountians

Top 5 in the state
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Top 5 in the state

Personally, I thought they were a Top 5 team last year. This year will be no exception as long as they stay healthy. I was told they started practice today, any rough estimates on numbers? I expect Cameron Catron to have a HUGE year for the Pirates.
Saw him under the lights, very impressive big man
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Top 5 in the state

Off the top of my head, Male, Trinity, Bowling Green, and maybe Lafayette are the only teams I would favor over Belfry. Belfry and South Warren seem to be on equal footing.

Statewide top 5 is rarified air, especially for a 3A mountain school. If the Pirates can navigate their schedule unbeaten, they'll definitely be breathing that air.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next