Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8TH Grade Holdback Question??
I need to ask you guys a really important question. I know a family in a neighboring county that has been pondering on holding their 8TH grade son back. BUT, what my question is. I may be wrong. But, once a kid succesfully completes the 8TH Grade, Is that kid allowed to be held back and still have his eligibility? I thought that I read this somewhere in the KHSAA that once you pass the 8TH Grade you can NOT stay back and be eligible. I am just asking this because I don't want to see these parents make a mistake and their kids be declared ineligible. Any info you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.
FIRST hand knowledge:::: A child who had PASSING grades BUT the parent moved the child to another school to "hold him back" (original school would NOT hold him back) .... this child had to sit out football this year because of the hold back status and he had already played the sport in his "1st" 8th grade year.....
I know for a fact that the family is going to keep the kid at the same school he is at. If that makes a difference.
HUM..... maybe one of our "sports" guru's on here can answer that one!!! LOL....
It's fine. He will not be able to participate in athletics the year he is being retained...yet the next year when he enters 9th grade all is well. The only rule is that you can only have 4 years of high school eligability.
KHSAA has no say in middle school athletics.

If a kids is held back they can play sports in the same grade twice, as there is no governing body that says you cannot unless the principle says no.

You cannot start school in 9th grade for one day, then come back you will use a year of eligibility.

Some counties say you cannot compete in their county tourney(Pike County starting this year) but you can still play in ALL OTHER GAMES.

I know for a fact if someone challenges this with a lawyer, their kid can play in anything they want.

I can guarantee no one on this site knows more about this subject than me, my parents, or our lawyer:thumpsup:
The only other way it effects a child is if they are held back and this makes them turn 19 before August 1st of their Sr. year
Ridge Runner Wrote:I need to ask you guys a really important question. I know a family in a neighboring county that has been pondering on holding their 8TH grade son back. BUT, what my question is. I may be wrong. But, once a kid succesfully completes the 8TH Grade, Is that kid allowed to be held back and still have his eligibility? I thought that I read this somewhere in the KHSAA that once you pass the 8TH Grade you can NOT stay back and be eligible. I am just asking this because I don't want to see these parents make a mistake and their kids be declared ineligible. Any info you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.
They can still play Middle School sports, but the KHSAA rule is that no child can play a varsity sport in their second year of a grade. Actually, they can't play in a freshman or JV game either. Which means, if you have a kid that stays back in the eighth grade, they can't play baseball, basketball etc. for their high school until they actually enter High School.
The Guru Wrote:They can still play Middle School sports, but the KHSAA rule is that no child can play a varsity sport in their second year of a grade. Actually, they can't play in a freshman or JV game either. Which means, if you have a kid that stays back in the eighth grade, they can't play baseball, basketball etc. for their high school until they actually enter High School.

If they didn't play their 1st 8th grade year at the varsity level then they can their 2nd 8th grade year. Freshmen and JV does not matter.
This is from the KHSAA Handbook:
Do parents have options relative to holding students
back in grade eight?
Kentucky Department of Education regulations place the
responsibility for promotion or retention of a student on
school personnel and not parents. Once “promoted” from
the eighth grade, a student’s four consecutive calendar
years (8 semesters) of athletic eligibility begins.
A student repeating the eighth grade may not represent
a high school team at any level. In addition, if parents
retain a student in the eighth grade after the student
has been promoted, then that student will lose his or her
senior year of eligibility.
fox sports Wrote:This is from the KHSAA Handbook:
back in grade eight?

So what if the kid is promotable and the parents and school personnel both feel that the student needs to repeat the 8th grade and hey together deside not to promote the kid. Would that be acceptable for holdong the kid back?
As long as the child is not promoted to the 9th grade and then retained it does not affect the child. The parent just has to get their request letter into the school before the cut off date so that the child can be held back before they are promoted on. I held my son back in the 8th grade this year because of his age (he would have been 16 as a senior) and the fact that he is behind in Math. I was told that he just could not participate in any High School sports the year he stays back in the 8th grade. It does not affect his High School eligibility for his 4 high school years.
fox sports Wrote:This is from the KHSAA Handbook:
back in grade eight?

Meaning if he walks though graduation with his 8th grade class and then a parent decides to retain the child he will lose eligibility.

If a principle documents that the parents have come to him on more than one occasion, the child will never be promoted from the 8th grade.
CARDS PROUD MOM Wrote:It does not affect his High School eligibility for his 4 high school years.
I would hope that any parent considering holding back an 8th grader would seek advice from somewhere more informed than BGR.
It is my understanding that if a student is eligible to be promoted academically it COULD affect hs eligibility...this is a slight change in the rules recently.
MY advice, seek council from a school principal, athletic director, and guidance counselor.
I know about 4 kids that was in the 8th grade last and this year they was able to go to the 9th grade but they held thier self back to play a sport and they was allowed to play every game
NEXT Wrote:If they didn't play their 1st 8th grade year at the varsity level then they can their 2nd 8th grade year. Freshmen and JV does not matter.
I asked Rowland Williams of the KHSAA personally. He said, No High School sports during their 2nd year in the same grade. This also includes Freshman and JV sports as well. It doesn't matter if they have never played any sport ever in their life. They can't then either.
I think it is good to keep a kid back just to have your son or daughter around another year.It is unbelievable how much more mature they are,,, given an extra year.I have played against seniors in high school in basketball and they would just be average.Play them a year later and in some cases it is unbelievable how much better they are after one more year.Some boys dont become men until their 18.I was heartbroke when my daughter went off to college, I was being selfish I know but I couldnt help but think how I wish I would have had her another year.She won over 80 matches in tennis and if she would have had another year,,she would have been awesome.The kid has to really want to do it.I would have died if Dad would have not let me go on to the ninth grade with my class.Keep them out of kindergarden until they are 6 and go that route.
phs1986 Wrote:FIRST hand knowledge:::: A child who had PASSING grades BUT the parent moved the child to another school to "hold him back" (original school would NOT hold him back) .... this child had to sit out football this year because of the hold back status and he had already played the sport in his "1st" 8th grade year.....

They just passed the new rule this year saying you had to set out of sports one year if held back but before this year (06-07) you could hold back anytime b4 HS and play anysport u like, well in the county anyhow
Old school Dawg Wrote:I think it is good to keep a kid back just to have your son or daughter around another year.It is unbelievable how much more mature they are,,, given an extra year.I have played against seniors in high school in basketball and they would just be average.Play them a year later and in some cases it is unbelievable how much better they are after one more year.Some boys dont become men until their 18.I was heartbroke when my daughter went off to college, I was being selfish I know but I couldnt help but think how I wish I would have had her another year.She won over 80 matches in tennis and if she would have had another year,,she would have been awesome.The kid has to really want to do it.I would have died if Dad would have not let me go on to the ninth grade with my class.Keep them out of kindergarden until they are 6 and go that route.

Totally agree holding a kid back will help them tremendously in the long run in life itself allowing them to mature more b4 entering the real world IMO, but its not rly a big deal to me as far as sports so i respect both views of the situation.
Asked a local AD the other day and was told that it is ok. The kid just can't play any sport at the High School level i.e.. Freshman, JV or Varsity. If the kid does then that is when their 4 years of elegibility starts. As long as they play no higher than the 8th grade, they are fine.
Oh my ive seen this in action but idk about other sports i call it the kelly and slone rule one of our kids won state in wrestling stayed back then the next year won it again and they developed a rule that you can't do it twice and this is with wrestling idk about other sports

Ridge Runner Wrote:I need to ask you guys a really important question. I know a family in a neighboring county that has been pondering on holding their 8TH grade son back. BUT, what my question is. I may be wrong. But, once a kid succesfully completes the 8TH Grade, Is that kid allowed to be held back and still have his eligibility? I thought that I read this somewhere in the KHSAA that once you pass the 8TH Grade you can NOT stay back and be eligible. I am just asking this because I don't want to see these parents make a mistake and their kids be declared ineligible. Any info you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.
hmm...idk then ive only heard so much about it never had the problem i was a late birthday and stayed back in the 3rd so im the max age for HS sports and it helped tremendously if you want to hold a kid back do it before they can tell the difference..at a younge age

phs1986 Wrote:FIRST hand knowledge:::: A child who had PASSING grades BUT the parent moved the child to another school to "hold him back" (original school would NOT hold him back) .... this child had to sit out football this year because of the hold back status and he had already played the sport in his "1st" 8th grade year.....
SportsKrazee Wrote:They just passed the new rule this year saying you had to set out of sports one year if held back but before this year (06-07) you could hold back anytime b4 HS and play anysport u like, well in the county anyhow
Hmmm, my parents held me back in the 6th grade many many years ago and they wouldnt let me play and said i had to sit out a year, i really cant remember who they are it was around 1985
There are soooo many rumors/facts on this subject. I would like to get some definite facts. Who would a person really need to talk to. My son is not failing. In fact he brought home straight A's this 9 weeks. He's a A/B student. He's a good kid, mature for his age I think. I have always been totally against this hold back stuff, but because of his birthday, if I knew then what I know now I would not have started him in school for another year to begin with!! My girls are January babies and were always older... But its too late for that now. He is small and he is one of the youngest in his 8th grade class. He wont be 14 until its time to get out of school for the summer. This will put him driving late and going to college young!! I'd love to keep him home with me and to mature one more year. He Wants to stay back. BUT we Dont want him to be punished in the sports area because he stays back. He Loves his sports! Yes he would be a holdback. But no he wont look like he should be a Jr in high school (he's as small as "some" 6th graders right now) nor will he be able to drive in grade school! Just wanted to make that clear....Confusedhh: Where can I get some help on this subject?
u go to the school and sign papers to retain him before the end of the year. he is elgiible for all sports his next 8th grade year except playing at the high school level
Need to talk with someone at the board , because if I'm not mistaken they changed the rule in pike co . something along the lines that a student ath. couldn't play the same grade twice or just couldn't play in the county championship but if BMS plays in another league also next yr he would still get to play in those I think. Need to get on this asap.
Pirates~R~Us Wrote:Confusedhh: Where can I get some help on this subject?
Talk to the high school principal and counselor, they deal with KHSAA rulings everyday...the middle school folks don't necesarily.
I would be interested in finding out more facts about this subject as well.