Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Central 2016
With a 3-8 season and the team not getting along plus no leadership,what will the hawksdo?will they stay the same or will they be better next year.thoughts?
I think they get better. One of the top returning QBs in this half of the state. Lot of YOUNG talent that will be a year older and another year in Coach Thacker's system. I'm sure the schedule will be challenging, as always, but I do think things will turn out better next year.
Yeah i think your right,we have alot of talent going to be alot better and will be use to the offense i think thacker will turn them into a good program
They'll be better. Better enough to the point of challenging Belfry? No. Maybe taking a run at LC's position, yes. They've had a great run of athletes at Pike Central over the past several years and Chapman was able to hide some deficiencies with smoke and mirrors, so it will take Thacker some time to develop the depth he needs to to take a step towards the top but if they run things right and hold to that, it will happen.
Does pikeville come to the hawks next year?
Yes.
Couldnt tell ya never had their concession, but if its anything like ours you'll be beating LC in no time and mabey belfry I'll report after next week.
Got to get more disciplined and focused to be competitive. They have the athletes. Maybe the kids being a year older will make the difference.
My observation was that PCC had too many leaders on the field. A couple of positive minded seniors need to step up and lead the team. When they learn what a team leader is they will be successful. They have a good coach,showing coach respect and being respectful is step one in becoming a leader.
PCC played a tough schedule this year,many of their opponents are still playing.
Belfry
Lawrence
Pikeville
Bell
Paintsville
rumors are that the hawks will have a new coach next year
bengals0308 Wrote:rumors are that the hawks will have a new coach next year

I heard Tyler Johnson wants the job real bad. After all look what HE did at SV.
Mjolnir Wrote:I heard Tyler Johnson wants the job real bad. After all look what HE did at SV.

I've heard the decision was made several days ago to get rid of coach thacker but nothing has happened yet.
Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, I have no idea why Pike Central would make that change so quickly. Surely anyone with half a brain over there saw what Thacker had to work with. There was a tremendous drop off in talent. What they DO have is young and just needs time to develop.
PHSForever Wrote:Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, I have no idea why Pike Central would make that change so quickly. Surely anyone with half a brain over there saw what Thacker had to work with. There was a tremendous drop off in talent. What they DO have is young and just needs time to develop.

From what I've been told, there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes, numerous complaints to the superintedant
bengals0308 Wrote:From what I've been told, there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes, numerous complaints to the superintedant

PHSForever Wrote:Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, I have no idea why Pike Central would make that change so quickly. Surely anyone with half a brain over there saw what Thacker had to work with. There was a tremendous drop off in talent. What they DO have is young and just needs time to develop.

has alot more to do with than just coaching
i'd like to hear something on here from the pike central fans if they have heard whats goin?
It's no secret there is a big push to make Pike Central the top school in PCS. People can speculate when David Jones went to Phelps, it will slowly stop the WV pipeline to Pond Creek. After Haywood retires, with the right coach Pike Central could make a big surge.
Real Badman Wrote:It's no secret there is a big push to make Pike Central the top school in PCS. People can speculate when David Jones went to Phelps, it will slowly stop the WV pipeline to Pond Creek. After Haywood retires, with the right coach Pike Central could make a big surge.

it has nothing to do with that, and as far as it concerns i'm not a pike central fan. I have just heard alot of rumors about the head coach and it concerns me for the kids. I just want all of the kids in the county to have the best chance of success, and unfortunately at pike central i don't think that can happen right now, already heard of a coach leaving, just hate to see the program lose players.
It has a lot to due with that when you see who is sitting in the big chair and calling the shots. For once the headman doesn't have any ties to the Belfry community.
Real Badman Wrote:It has a lot to due with that when you see who is sitting in the big chair and calling the shots. For once the headman doesn't have any ties to the Belfry community.

for once i don't think it has anything to do with belfry, not sure what what they are waiting on though, the complaints started coming to the board in december
I'm really surprised that none of the pike central fans haven't said anything on here, I've talked to several of them and they were all really unhappy and they wanted things to change, sounds like to me the kids are the ones that are going to suffer from everything that is going on.
Real Badman Wrote:It's no secret there is a big push to make Pike Central the top school in PCS. People can speculate when David Jones went to Phelps, it will slowly stop the WV pipeline to Pond Creek. After Haywood retires, with the right coach Pike Central could make a big surge.

Stop trying to make this a Belfry issue. Pike Central's woes have nothing to do with Belfry.....other than beating them every year. Suspect coaching, poor leadership and terrible attitudes have plagued PC's program since it's onset. That's where the problem lies.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Stop trying to make this a Belfry issue. Pike Central's woes have nothing to do with Belfry.....other than beating them every year. Suspect coaching, poor leadership and terrible attitudes have plagued PC's program since it's onset. That's where the problem lies.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why belfry has been so successful. I promise you the kids and demographics are no different on Pond Creek than they are on Buckleys Creek. They have been blessed with a great coach and support system. I'm not making it a Belfry issue, but even in Haywood's book he mentions the overwhelming support of the BOE.

:Thumbs:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Stop trying to make this a Belfry issue. Pike Central's woes have nothing to do with Belfry.....other than beating them every year. Suspect coaching, poor leadership and terrible attitudes have plagued PC's program since it's onset. That's where the problem lies.

lack of recruiting is the main problem:biggrin:
Real Badman Wrote:It doesn't take a genius to figure out why belfry has been so successful. I promise you the kids and demographics are no different on Pond Creek than they are on Buckleys Creek. They have been blessed with a great coach and support system. I'm not making it a Belfry issue, but even in Haywood's book he mentions the overwhelming support of the BOE.

support being the key word Confusednicker:
Real Badman Wrote:It doesn't take a genius to figure out why belfry has been so successful. I promise you the kids and demographics are no different on Pond Creek than they are on Buckleys Creek. They have been blessed with a great coach and support system. I'm not making it a Belfry issue, but even in Haywood's book he mentions the overwhelming support of the BOE.

Belfry went to two State Finals, won numerous regional titles, and competed on the State Level long before a single family moved their kid to Belfry in the 6th Grade or earlier.

The reason Pike Central will never be Belfry is because of numerous reasons beyond just the occasional family who moves so their kid can come up through Belfry schools.

1. Better Coaching
2. Better Facilities
3. Better Middle School Coaching
4. Better Middle School Facilities
5. Better Strength and Conditioning Program
6. Better Youth Football League
7. Less Coaching Turnover
8. More Administration Support at the HS
9. Better fundraising
10. Better Community Support and Sponsorships
11. Generations of family pride and success
12. Higher turnout of numbers

As for the BOE... it is no secret that the first tipping point for the Belfry program was getting the new school and facilities (the second tipping point was Coach Mickey reorganizing the feeder system) and having a "Pro" Belfry BOE at the time certainly helped expedite that process.... but it is also worth noting that when Wagner was the Super you couldn't find a more "anti" (it's not a good word since no Super will ever be truly anti a school), or shall we say someone who preferred to put the other County Schools ahead of Belfry. Yet during his reign is when Belfry evolved as a program and continued to compete at the most elite of levels.

I am just going to be truthful... as long as Belfry and Pikeville have stable programs and strong feeder programs the other County Schools will have a best case scenario of winning a head to head matchup 3 times per decade.. and most likely will continue to go 0'fer against the two premier programs.

For Pike Central to compete on the State Level and win a Title it would require hiring a coach who stays there for 10+ years and completely overhauls their feeder program, brand new facilities, a change of their HS Administration, and they also would need either Belfry or Pikeville to have a significant change that negatively effects them.
And to my last post... if PC is making a change I think they need to be smart with how they hire.

Fact of the matter is they are not going to beat Belfry in the next 5 years. Just brutal honesty. Belfry has way to much in their Freshman-Senior Classes and in their 8th Grade Class and Pike Central..to be frank..is kind of a train wreck.

When hiring they need to accept that most likely the best case scenario for the next five years is going to be a Regional Runner-UP. Find a Coach who can rebuild their entire youth football system so in 5 years his Sophomore Class has his Offensive and Defensive System down pat. Then build off that with team after team that are fundamentally sound when they step foot at PC, so you can teach them more advanced techniques and focus on strength/speed and athletic training.

Just me speaking out loud... but I would also want a coach who develops a strong network with college recruiters at something higher than the NAIA level. A guy who gets kids to WKU, EKU, East Tennessee State, etc. If there is one knock on both Haywood and MacNamee...they aren't exactly turning out a lot of guys who play major College Football. If you want to help the talent pool move your direction and not to Pikeville or Pond Creek... and you want the families to move into your School District when they are in 5th Grade... you need to stand out and do something better.
[quote=EKUAlum05]And to my last post... if PC is making a change I think they need to be smart with how they hire.

Fact of the matter is they are not going to beat Belfry in the next 5 years. Just brutal honesty. Belfry has way to much in their Freshman-Senior Classes and in their 8th Grade Class and Pike Central..to be frank..is kind of a train wreck.

When hiring they need to accept that most likely the best case scenario for the next five years is going to be a Regional Runner-UP. Find a Coach who can rebuild their entire youth football system so in 5 years his Sophomore Class has his Offensive and Defensive System down pat. Then build off that with team after team that are fundamentally sound when they step foot at PC, so you can teach them more advanced techniques and focus on strength/speed and athletic training.

Just me speaking out loud... but I would also want a coach who develops a strong network with college recruiters at something higher than the NAIA level. A guy who gets kids to WKU, EKU, East Tennessee State, etc. If there is one knock on both Haywood and MacNamee...they aren't exactly turning out a lot of guys who play major College Football. If you want to help the talent pool move your direction and not to Pikeville or Pond Creek... and you want the families to move into your School District when they are in 5th Grade... you need to stand out and do something better.[/Q

I agree with almost everything you have said. Pike Central needs a coach that will stay around a long time. They also need a coach that the players, parents and the community can trust and respect. I think that if you get that in place that alot of the problems can be fixed.