Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valley VS LETCHER
ANY WORD ON WHO WON ??
Valley won by 2.

Very tough game for the Lady Kats---they had three girls foul out--Sally Roberts, Laura Perkins, and Cortney Smallwood-- but they still pulled out the win. Very proud of you girls.

Laura Perkins was the highest scorer tonight for SV with 23 points, she had an excellent ball game.

Valley won on a last second shot made by Kayla Cantrell... but as the buzzer sounded, Letcher's coach started yelling that he had called for a time out directly after the shot was made...and the refs allowed .9 seconds to be placed back up on the clock--but it was not enough to defeat the Lady Kats-- as they came away with a win of 2 points.

CONGRATULATIONS LADIES-- you're really turning some heads..keep up the good work!!!!
Congrats valley..you played well and the bench was HUGE tonight...the big people stepped there game up showing they could guard smaller faster girls as well...way to go perkins you played great..it goes to show what heart and determination can do for a team....the refs were bad .....valley girls shot as many free throws as letcher central missed....valley pulled threw with a huge win....Does anyone know who they play next?.....
They take on Betsy Layne on Thursday on their home court.
Good game..Coach Adams did call for a timeout as soon as the basket was made and my question is..as a ref, how are you not looking for that? Valley plays hard and plays with heart! LCC killed themselves on the line. I bet they were something like 6-30. Pitiful!
Valley should have won by 15 but refs evened it up
Valley won fair and square.....all night the refs tried to find a way for LC....But it still did not stop the valley girls ...they kept their heads in the game and were determined to pull through .......and in the end it paid off....way to go girls....and although 3 starters foulded out(due to dumb calls) the girls still pulled through all the chaous..... congrats to Laura and also to fleming and the smallwood twins.....keep up the hard work girls tonight earned u great respect
This was a good game, and a great win for Valley. The refs made some bad calls against Valley the whole night, but the last 3 minutes were horrible.
Congrats SV! LCC is a hard place to win. SV's bench is really stepping up. Against Tates Creek they had one starter out and the first two subs off the bench. Last night they played with three starters on the bench. This team finds a way to win. I think that SV would beat LCC by 15 at home. LCC is down this year, but they have the best coach in the mountains. The way he runs the run and jump man-to-man defense is text book.
Was a very good win,i agree the refs were terrible.They never gave roberts a chance to play,so be it you kept your heads up and played ball to the end.Congrats to all the girls on the win,great game by Perkins!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Good game..Coach Adams did call for a timeout as soon as the basket was made and my question is..as a ref, how are you not looking for that? Valley plays hard and plays with heart! LCC killed themselves on the line. I bet they were something like 6-30. Pitiful!

he may have called for a timeout but there were no time left when he did...........then when the time was out and the players were shaking hands they forced the teams to the benches and tried to put 9 seconds on the clock.when there were only 5.7 when valley brought the ball in for the final play.........i agree the refs should have been looking for the call but the point is.is that their were no time ..........the refs tried every way possible to let LC win but it didnt work.good job ladycats
spalding Wrote:he may have called for a timeout but there were no time left when he did...........then when the time was out and the players were shaking hands they forced the teams to the benches and tried to put 9 seconds on the clock.when there were only 5.7 when valley brought the ball in for the final play.........i agree the refs should have been looking for the call but the point is.is that their were no time ..........the refs tried every way possible to let LC win but it didnt work.good job ladycats

Wasn't it 0.9 instead of 9 seconds that they put back on the clock?
No and yes. They tried to put 9 seconds on the clock after the buzzer sounded, but Coach Napier threw a fit (which he had every right to), and they put .9 a few seconds later. I don't know if they accidently put the 9 seconds up first or what, but I was told by several of the Valley girls that Letcher's coach was grinning ear to ear because of the time added to the clock.

The way I see it, if they didn't catch the time out before the buzzer sounded, there should have not have been time added to the clock anyway. The only reason they added time to the clock was because the Letcher Central coach told the refs after the buzzer went off that he was trying to call a time out before the buzzer went off and they didn't see him. To me, that's unfair.
Koobeton Wrote:No and yes. They tried to put 9 seconds on the clock after the buzzer sounded, but Coach Napier threw a fit (which he had every right to), and they put .9 a few seconds later. I don't know if they accidently put the 9 seconds up first or what, but I was told by several of the Valley girls that Letcher's coach was grinning ear to ear because of the time added to the clock.

The way I see it, if they didn't catch the time out before the buzzer sounded, there should have not have been time added to the clock anyway. The only reason they added time to the clock was because the Letcher Central coach told the refs after the buzzer went off that he was trying to call a time out before the buzzer went off and they didn't see him. To me, that's unfair.

I'm sure that was what it was. It happens all the time when working score clocks.
The ref didn't signal or whistle to stop the clock until after the horn. Coach did yell for time and ref saw him after the fact. Coach should've told the ref before Valley inbounds the ball with 5.7 that he wanted time if they scored. The clock man I think was wasn't trying to 9 seconds, I think he wasn't sure how to program .9
I figured it was just a misinterpretation or just an accidental error. But you can imagine how wild the Valley fans went seeing 9 seconds being put up when the last dead ball had been at 5.7 seconds. It was a little crazy for a second....

I agree that Letcher's coach should have notified the refs that he wanted a time out during the time out with 5.7 seconds left...it would have created less controversy for sure.
Oh well, lol lesson learned...I wasn't saying that about the clock and that I was taking up for LCC, I was saying that a ref should be looking for a coach to do that regardless of who is playing. It is just what you do as a ref. Guess it is getting caught up in the moment. But valley deserved to win this game and they did. Congrat Valley and good luck the rest of the way!
LCC coach should have told them before hand but all falls in line to how bad the officating was,never seen the refs go back and give Napier any time back when he asked for a timeout earlier,he got his time out about 10 secs after he called for one.Not taking anything away from LCC they are a good team but the game should have never been as close as it was.The refs kept it close with all those ghost fouls they called,if it would have been nice if called same on both ends.I feel it takes away from a school's ability to prove themselves when unneeded help is given IMO
i heard the refs were awful but Valley pulled away with a great win
waitn to see when Laura Perkins was gonna have a 20+ game......glad to see it happen
im sure theres more to come
yeah the valley team is doing great and laura had a good game but the others did as well
Very impressed with the skills of Shelby Valley. Game was officiated too tightly. Both teams played an aggressive style and neither were allowed to play their game. Both teams were in foul trouble but LCC had more players to insert. Good luck to both in their upcoming games.
Shelby Valley fans showed real class that night. About 2 dozen people were itching to storm the floor and punch a couple of zebras (who really deserved it by the way) You could just see it in their faces and the way they paced the stairs. But they didn't. ANd the coaches didn't get any T's , and they had every reason to yell and throw a fit, believe me, but they didn't. This was the worst called game I have seen in the last five years. Stuff like that just shouldn't happen, especially to a bunch of kids just trying to play hard.
I agree with you 100%..

I happened to be one of the ones pacing the stairs- -haha.