Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entertainment.... Actual Wrestling or No Wrestling
Entertainment
The act of entertaining; agreeable occupation for the mind; diversion; amusement:

Something affording pleasure, diversion, or amusement, especially a performance of some kind:

Having watched about 95% of the old PPV's from WCW and WWF on the WWE Network, something rings true. Pro Wrestlers back in the 80's and early 90's had to entertain the crowd with actual wrestling. Not with elaborate entrances, stages, video boards & pyrotechnics. But they provided entertainment by getting "Over" either by being a 'Face' or a 'Heel'.

The first time I can recall seeing any pyrotechnics used by the WWF at a PPV is WrestleMania VIII when Savage beats Flair for the title. Now, we see pyro just about with every entrance and at the beginning of each tv show and PPV.

The first time I can recall the WWF using video boards was the 1992 Survivor Series. And not video boards that showed the in-ring match, but video board with entrances.

I'm not saying that the wrestlers were better back before the theatrics came along. But you have to admit that they had a harder job to entertain fans back then than they do now.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I love ya, Pulp.

but you remind me of a grandpa who says "back in my day" a lot lol
You have to evolve with the times.

Yes the entrances get more elaborate and the videos get fancier... but I couldn't name you a champion in this era that "got over" because of their video or pyro.

The product that they're packaging is professional wrestling. Once the bell rings, no matter how cool their entrance was, if they don't perform at a high level and tell a good story, they don't get over.
I love wrestling but I love the old better, these days its all about certain superstars and its the same story line over and over each feud last three PPV's not counting the raw and smack down stuff. I just think it would be a little better if fans didnt have to watch the same match every show for 3 or 4 months
Well the feuds last just as long... But the PPVs are every month instead of every 3 months.

I do think that the folks running the show at WWE seem more worried about the "entertainment" aspect while the stories (in the ring and out) seem to suffer.
By "entertainment" I mean the things that Pulp was talking about.

It's all entertainment IMO