Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Boys 7/8th teams in Eastern KY for 2015?
I watched several middle school boys teams play last year and the best 8th team in think this year will be Hazard or Clay County -
both will be pretty good but I think you forgetting northern pulaski. They have won 6th and 7th state last two years. South laurel would be in the talking but 4 of the 8th graders are playing up.
eky.sports.fan Wrote:I watched several middle school boys teams play last year and the best 8th team in think this year will be Hazard or Clay County -

I dont think so :dontthink
Ashland Middle School 8th grade should be good. A lot of good athletes in that group. They won numerous tournaments and did well at KBA as well. 7th grade should be good. Once they play together for a bit they should start clicking.
Pikeville Panthers 8th grade team is very underlooked in this category. They are a very special team. They lost to Hazard on a last second shot last year and Pikeville didn't play to their best ability. This is a team to look out for this coming basketball season
Ace I think you are right we have a new coach at Pikeville Middle this year and all I can say is run baby run lookout for the panthers
I watched a team from Leslie County the Raiders I think they are from Mountain Elementary they beat Hazard by 50 points last year. Got a kid on there that can handle the ball #22 . This team does not need to be overlooked they got size inside the paint. Also there is a AAU team from Laurel County that has a point guard to watch he is small but can shoot #15. I heard most of those kids go to South Laurel.
Must have been a all star team because hazard always has a good team have played them alot
Who you got then ?
The team Scout Recruit1 is talking about was a 6th GRADE AAU team from Mountain View Elementary in Leslie County. They are a good team. They are in 7th now. They didnt play Hazard 8th grade.
Northern pulaski is a clear favorite, then crosby, wayne, ashland, clay and elkorn. IMO
I seen Pikeville play them over at knott county in the six grade and northern beat them by I think 6 points that day was a great game and they had their whole theam there too so from what I saw they have a great team but Pikeville does too my friend
Question for everybody. Does the hold back rule for middle school sports go into effect for 2015-2016 or 2016-2017 ?
Hold backs can play this year.
Not if governed under KHSAA like the KYMSFA is. Let's all be like Jefferson County, shall we. Level playing field!!
Clay 7th should be really good. 2 clay county grade schools (Manchester/Hacker) finished 8 and 9th last year at the KBA 6th grade middle school tourney. Those kids along with a few from the other grade schools in the county will now merge into the 7th grade .
rule goes into effect this year. 2015-16. Player cant play during his holdback year.
From KHSAA: "Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year and thereafter, require that no student enrolled initially in grade (5) through grade (8) during the 2015-2016 school year or thereafter who is repeating a grade for any reason be eligible to compete in interscholastic competition involving students enrolled in grades six (6) through eight (8) while repeating a grade;"
The rule applies to anyone who is in their 1st year if a grade this year. If they hold back in the same grade next year, they will be ineligible. If this year is not their initial year in that grade, they are eligible for this year. Hold backs can play this year. It's next year when they begin to be ineligible.
So if a player was in the 7th grade last year n is repeating 7th grade this year is eligible to play this year? But not next year? It is hard to understand this rule n hard to believe that school will enforce the rule. Because khsaa is a joke.
This rule applies to students who are in a grade for the first time this year. Basically, beginning next year, no holdback can play.
I am more confused about this rule everyday. Lol
I agree with you blackandgold4life. Every time someone try to explain the rule to me I get more confused. If khsaa is trying to keep a level playing field than they make it a simple rule. If you get held back you are ineligible to play.
The way I understand the rule is if you are in your holdback year this year you are fine to play. Say you are in 7th grade this year and repeat 7th next year. you would not be eligible next year( ur holdback year) you then could continue playing the following year in 8th
So if a kid is repeating 7th grade this year is eligible to play this year n next year as well. I guess it makes sense because khsaa came up with the rule.
jacobcody2 Wrote:So if a kid is repeating 7th grade this year is eligible to play this year n next year as well. I guess it makes sense because khsaa came up with the rule.
From my understanding yes he/she is eligible from here on out. Laurel co has always been this way. you cant play the year you hold back
Heck I dont know. I just talked to my high school coach and he said tacket told him if you are in your holdback year this year you can not play. confused
You cannot play this year, if you are repeating the same grade
I know for a fact there are alot of middle football players playing right now in their holdback year
Khsaa has confuse everybody with this rule. So who will enforce the rule if someone plays during their hold back year? Khsaa is a joke. They can't enforce there rules on high school teams.
This is the last year you can holdback