Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Practice Middle School
We are going to try spring practice in Wayne County this year.
One thing I try to do is give my kids a "mini" varsity experience and this is one of the components I have never done.

Any of your your programs done spring practice before? Spring game ?

What kind of expectations do you have?

Drills, talent evaluation, install offense/ defense
In the past we always did this with the last practice being the spring game. We made it a big deal as the 2 Most Improved kids during practices got to pick the teams for the game (with a little guidance from the coaching staff.)

First 5 practices or so was just drills, basic stuff you would do at beginning of fall season.

Second 4 practices were more like game week practices, installing new things for offense and basic plays you run, defense and special teams.

One year for the spring game, because we had to change the schedule, the school used the spring game as a reward day for kids, so they got to play during school, (kinda like a field day thing) It actually helped boost are #'s for the next year.

Make it learning, but fun, and relaxed.
Good deal. We've always let 7 on7s serve as our spring portion, but I think we need to incorporate the whole team. Generate some excitement for summer conditioning and season practice.

I like that most improved idea and the spring game.
We've done it for 10+ years. Two weeks of practice and a spring game. We don't charge admission but we do concessions. This year we might do a powder puff game before but charge admission for that. We draft the teams to keep it fair. This year we are splitting O and D.

We run it like the first week of summer and start install. The second week is rep and time it up. We keep it simple with out base and maybe a trick play or two.