Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nepotism
Should the Husband of a High School principal Be Allowed to be an Assistant varsity Football coach at That same High School. If you Were a Head Coach would you Be Comfortable with This arrangement?

That is what is Happening at the School I played for and Graduated From. Our Head Coach was Recently fired and the New coach a Former Head Coach will be Bringing on the Principal's Husband Supposedly. seems Fishy to Me.
1988 Raider Player Wrote:Should the Husband of a High School principal Be Allowed to be an Assistant varsity Football coach at That same High School. If you Were a Head Coach would you Be Comfortable with This arrangement?

That is what is Happening at the School I played for and Graduated From. Our Head Coach was Recently fired and the New coach a Former Head Coach will be Bringing on the Principal's Husband Supposedly. seems Fishy to Me.

I think Husband was part of the deal no matter who was the New Head Coach. I don't think I would accept a job under these conditions. Heck the Husband was the one who made the offer to the New Coach. Guess we know who will call the shots.
:biggrin:
1988 Raider Player Wrote:Should the Husband of a High School principal Be Allowed to be an Assistant varsity Football coach at That same High School. If you Were a Head Coach would you Be Comfortable with This arrangement?

He can't be hired as a paid Asst. Coach, he can be a volunteer Asst. Coach. Will be one of the few times a Volunteer has had so much power. JMO
If he is qualified, who cares? If I were the HC and the husband was pulling my leg, resign and let him have it. Why couldn't he be a paid assistant?
Real Badman Wrote:If he is qualified, who cares? If I were the HC and the husband was pulling my leg, resign and let him have it. Why couldn't he be a paid assistant?

I have never Coached but if I was Coaching I would not want the Principal's Husband as an Asst. Coach. If you disagree guess who the Principal will side with??? Why can't he be paid, Look at title of Thread.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I have never Coached but if I was Coaching I would not want the Principal's Husband as an Asst. Coach. If you disagree guess who the Principal will side with??? Why can't he be paid, Look at title of Thread.

Confusednicker: Good One Sports Fanatic.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I think Husband was part of the deal no matter who was the New Head Coach. I don't think I would accept a job under these conditions. Heck the Husband was the one who made the offer to the New Coach. Guess we know who will call the shots.
:biggrin:

wow the More I learn the Worse it Get's
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I have never Coached but if I was Coaching I would not want the Principal's Husband as an Asst. Coach. If you disagree guess who the Principal will side with??? Why can't he be paid, Look at title of Thread.

Sounds like if someone wants the job, this is an attached string. I've never heard of the rule an employee can not get paid because they are hired by the principal. Its a rough deal, but not extremely uncommon.
Real Badman Wrote:Sounds like if someone wants the job, this is an attached string. I've never heard of the rule an employee can not get paid because they are hired by the principal. Its a rough deal, but not extremely uncommon.

I don't want to Coach, I did not attach anything. Here we go. Principal would be placing her husband in a paid position. Cannot do that. If it was legal He would be Head Coach. I'm sure I'm right on this.:igiveup:
Life isn't always fair. Sometimes things go your way. Sometimes they don't. There is nothing you can do about it. That's the way life works. Just live your life and accept these facts, and you'll have a happier life.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I don't want to Coach, I did not attach anything. Here we go. Principal would be placing her husband in a paid position. Cannot do that. If it was legal He would be Head Coach. I'm sure I'm right on this.:igiveup:

I think that rule varies district by district. I know several coaches who work together that serve as high ranking administration and are married.
Local politics are nasty things. Best advice for coaches would be to check on who is running the show. If I were applying for an open spot, the first person that I would contact would be the last guy that held the position. I'd think he would give you the closest thing to a honest assessment of the state of the program you're about to enter. He could also give you some pointers on the politics (who to avoid, who the snake in the grass is, who butters whose bread, etc.)
At Rockcastle County, the athletic director/vice principal is married to the girls head basketball coach who teaches gym class at an elementary school in Brodhead. The high school principal is married to a teacher who has coached girls basketball over at the middle school. The middle school principal is married to a central office employee and his brother in law is the principal of the elementary school in Mt. Vernon. They are all very nice as well as good hearted/natured people that are repected in the Rockcastle Community. My kids benefitted from a top notch education down there even if the sports programs sometimes didn't go the smoothest way that we, as parents, might have wanted them to.
You're talking rural area Eastern Kentucky and usually there is a lot of couples or family ties in the school systems. The guy that took the head coaching job is probably aware of what he signed up for. He has decided to play the hand dealt him for the time being anyway.
If it is all in the best interest of the kids remains to be seen. We'll see if they start turning the program around down there at McCreary. If they don't get things done, I'm sure there will be plenty of word here on BGR.
Most of the time it is not a good idea. It happened at Berea Community, and what happened...the coach was fired and the husband took the head coaching position. Berea is irrelevant in football so it doesn't matter, but some negative things happened and continue to happen. Not from the coaches standpoint but the wife's part.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Most of the time it is not a good idea. It happened at Berea Community, and what happened...the coach was fired and the husband took the head coaching position. Berea is irrelevant in football so it doesn't matter, but some negative things happened and continue to happen. Not from the coaches standpoint but the wife's part.

Not a good situation at best. We have a job posted but a Coach from another system doing wt, program and getting ready to do spring practice. This guy has been hired, why all the pretending that they are looking for a Coach ? Job has been given and Husband will be Assistant. I guess they are fooling themselves because no one in McCreary County is fooled. Got to be illegal.
:argue:
Coach could be hired without posting but a teaching job you would give a coach would have to be posted.

Pretty sure nepotism doesn't apply to extracurricular activities especially jobs that are on yearly contract like an asst coach.

Like papgrit said many of our districts wouldn't have coaches if all of this was applied.

I will say this many of you guys act as if there are a lot of people out there willing to do the job of coaching. There isn't. Probably less in McCreary where success has been hard to come by. I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying that your new head coach would welcome as much help as possible no matter who it is.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Most of the time it is not a good idea. It happened at Berea Community, and what happened...the coach was fired and the husband took the head coaching position. Berea is irrelevant in football so it doesn't matter, but some negative things happened and continue to happen. Not from the coaches standpoint but the wife's part.

As you know FTF...I am VERY familiar with Berea. There is more to that story than getting a coach fired to bring in a husband. The principal even moved into the central office before her husband was hired as head coach. I know the wife, the head coach and graduated with the current principal at Berea. The coach that left, moved on for other reasons than to get someones husband into that job. When he left, the husband completed his year of teaching at Rockcastle in AP History which was my elder son's senior year in 2012. He is an excellent teacher, cares about his students and players and was missed after he left. My son had to do history schoolwork during the summer before his senior year to just qualify for his AP History class because he didn't make it a cupcake class that everyone could just cruise through. I don't know the EXACT reason why the past coach left Berea, but, I've heard rumors which I'm not going to publish on here. He left under his own volition though from what I understood and I think he left a couple of weeks before the season ended in 2011.
I don't know the situation at McCreary County like I know about the one that is Berea, but, like I said in my previous post....I'm sure we'll hear plenty about it on BGR if they fail to make headway down there. Too political all the way around with too many sides pulling the situation this way and that for whatever reason. A fresh start with an outside coach with no ties to anyone there at all is probably the best solution for them. That costs $$$ and everyone has to agree to relenquish the power as well for the benefit of the kids. Otherwise it is just a snipefest....down there and on here.
Lets play Football and quit all this bickering. I'm very happy with Coach Bozeman. From what I'm hearing AD not happy, Super not happy. Let's just play Football. Go Raiders !!!!
Great hire
papagrit Wrote:As you know FTF...I am VERY familiar with Berea. There is more to that story than getting a coach fired to bring in a husband. The principal even moved into the central office before her husband was hired as head coach. I know the wife, the head coach and graduated with the current principal at Berea. The coach that left, moved on for other reasons than to get someones husband into that job. When he left, the husband completed his year of teaching at Rockcastle in AP History which was my elder son's senior year in 2012. He is an excellent teacher, cares about his students and players and was missed after he left. My son had to do history schoolwork during the summer before his senior year to just qualify for his AP History class because he didn't make it a cupcake class that everyone could just cruise through. I don't know the EXACT reason why the past coach left Berea, but, I've heard rumors which I'm not going to publish on here. He left under his own volition though from what I understood and I think he left a couple of weeks before the season ended in 2011.
I don't know the situation at McCreary County like I know about the one that is Berea, but, like I said in my previous post....I'm sure we'll hear plenty about it on BGR if they fail to make headway down there. Too political all the way around with too many sides pulling the situation this way and that for whatever reason. A fresh start with an outside coach with no ties to anyone there at all is probably the best solution for them. That costs $$$ and everyone has to agree to relenquish the power as well for the benefit of the kids. Otherwise it is just a snipefest....down there and on here.

Papa, I hear nothing but GREAT THINGS about Berea's coach considering he really only has 2 or 3 legit players on his team. And the game I went and watch Berea play last year was against Jackson Co. and Berea looked pretty good. I was told that by all things considered that Berea is VERY lucky to have Coach Coleman, but I have been told by a teacher that has been there for over ten years the way things shook out that the job really was never opened up and that it was a foregone conclusion which is ok, but I just think many times when a spouse is in administration of a coach things go on or go unseen that normally would not take place...that was all I was trying to say.