Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Undertaker in WCW: Would it have worked?
Mark Calaway had a stint in WCW from 1989-1990 as Mean Marc Callous. Let's just say that character was terrible.

Survivor Series 1990... The Undertaker arrives in the WWF. The rest is history.

Would The Undertaker character be the same if he had left for WCW?
I've heard the rumor for years that Ted Turner offered Calaway an 8 figure contract to bring the Undertaker character to his promotion.

Think about all that went in to The Undertaker's character......
Paul Bearer & the Urn, Casket & Buried Alive matches, the old school Casket making promo's for Kamala and Yokozuna, The Funeral Parlor, his magical 'powers', the storyline with Kane and Mankind, all of his Hell in the Cell matches, the WrestleMania streak, his insane entrances and my personal favorite, his many entrance themes.

WCW couldn't touch the WWF with their theatrical elements.... just look at the Raw is War stage compared to the Monday Night Nitro stage. Even for WCW's main eventers, they couldn't touch the WWF.

If the Taker did leave WWF for the WCW, my guess is that it would have been in the DX, nWo, Monday Night War/Attitude Era. I'm sure "Billionaire Ted" would have shelled out some crazy money to other WWF talent as well to build around the Taker.

Thank God Calaway stayed in the WWF. I've seen The Undertaker wrestle three times in person (once at Rupp and twice in Huntington) IMO.... he has the best character in pro wrestling history.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
And as big of a fan of Sting and The Undertaker as I am.... a feud between those two in WCW would have been terrible.
Mean Marc would NEVER have been booked properly, so no!

[Image: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/u46g0Y5_APw/hqdefault.jpg]
My Top Undertaker Moments these are not in any particular order.

- 1992 SummerSlam: His entrance at Wembley Stadium was AWESOME!!!!
- 1992 Survivor Series: The first ever casket match vs. Kamala.
- WrestleMania 9: His entrance on the funeral chariot and return to the ring vs. Giant Gonzalez.
- 1998 King of the Ring: The entire Hell in the Cell match with Mankind. Best HITC in history.
- 1994 Royal Rumble: Casket match vs. Yokozuna.
- 2005 Survivor Series: One of his many returns from the flaming casket.
- 1994 SummerSlam: His debut in the Purple attire (my favorite era for the Taker)

And for the record.... I hated his biker and ministry of darkness gimmicks.
8 FIGURES?
I find it hard to believe that any wrestler would be paid $10 Mil.
That's more than I've ever heard - especially since WCW contracts were guaranteed.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Mark Calaway had a stint in WCW from 1989-1990 as Mean Marc Callous. Let's just say that character was terrible.

Survivor Series 1990... The Undertaker arrives in the WWF. The rest is history.

Would The Undertaker character be the same if he had left for WCW?
I've heard the rumor for years that Ted Turner offered Calaway an 8 figure contract to bring the Undertaker character to his promotion.

Think about all that went in to The Undertaker's character......
Paul Bearer & the Urn, Casket & Buried Alive matches, the old school Casket making promo's for Kamala and Yokozuna, The Funeral Parlor, his magical 'powers', the storyline with Kane and Mankind, all of his Hell in the Cell matches, the WrestleMania streak, his insane entrances and my personal favorite, his many entrance themes.

WCW couldn't touch the WWF with their theatrical elements.... just look at the Raw is War stage compared to the Monday Night Nitro stage. Even for WCW's main eventers, they couldn't touch the WWF.

If the Taker did leave WWF for the WCW, my guess is that it would have been in the DX, nWo, Monday Night War/Attitude Era. I'm sure "Billionaire Ted" would have shelled out some crazy money to other WWF talent as well to build around the Taker.

Thank God Calaway stayed in the WWF. I've seen The Undertaker wrestle three times in person (once at Rupp and twice in Huntington) IMO.... he has the best character in pro wrestling history.

zaga_fan Wrote:8 FIGURES?
I find it hard to believe that any wrestler would be paid $10 Mil.
That's more than I've ever heard - especially since WCW contracts were guaranteed.

Rumor
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Rumor

I know you said rumor...
but that doesn't mean I can't say it wasn't true.

:happysmile:
Honestly...
Jumping ship to WCW worked well for very few people.
zaga_fan Wrote:Honestly...
Jumping ship to WCW worked well for very few people.

Hogan, Nash and Hall.... IMO were the only people who stayed the same or got better.

Brutus Beefcake, Randy Savage, I.R.S., Ted DiBiase, Virgil, Earthquake, The Ultimate Warrior, 123 Kid, Davey Boy Smith, Bret Hart, Crush, Roddy Piper, Rick Martel, Bam Bam Bigelow, The Nasty Boys...... the list could go on all day. All of these wrestlers, IMO are still associated with the WWF. Their time in WCW should be expunged from their career.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Hogan, Nash and Hall.... IMO were the only people who stayed the same or got better.

Brutus Beefcake, Randy Savage, I.R.S., Ted DiBiase, Virgil, Earthquake, The Ultimate Warrior, 123 Kid, Davey Boy Smith, Bret Hart, Crush, Roddy Piper, Rick Martel, Bam Bam Bigelow, The Nasty Boys...... the list could go on all day. All of these wrestlers, IMO are still associated with the WWF. Their time in WCW should be expunged from their career.

I think you could make a case for Luger's career taking an upswing in WCW.
zaga_fan Wrote:I think you could make a case for Luger's career taking an upswing in WCW.

Luger was in NWA/WCW first, then came to the WWF and then went back to WCW.

But I agree. Luger was better in WCW after he came back from WWF.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Luger was in NWA/WCW first, then came to the WWF and then went back to WCW.

But I agree. Luger was better in WCW after he came back from WWF.

Same for Nash.
I guess it was just based on timing and who the creative was for his characters in both WCW and WWF. Its almost similar to Goldberg in WCW, one would have thought he would've been over in WWF as soon as he arrived but his character never really caught on.