Mercer 15 Russell 12 2A State Championship
Final 2A State Championship
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
Turnovers killed Russell.
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
to many turnovers for the Devil's..
I listenend to the game on the internet so I can't see how much Mercer's defense affected it...but it sounds to me like Russell's quarterback killed them in this game. Russell's defense played EXCELLENT. But at least 3 interceptions and 1 fumble by Russell's QB that I heard anyway. 2 of those interceptions and the fumble came at cruciel times in this game. Talk about a momentum killer. Russell stops Mercer on 4th and 1 and then the QB throws an interception to gave it right back. Then Russell stops them again and the QB fumbles. After yet another stop by Russell's wonderful defense, the quarterback throws another interception. 3 possesions inna row ends with turnovers for the Red Devils. Then the last drive for Russell they had a first down and the reciever couldn't hold on to it. That missed extra point in the beginning really hurt Russell too. If they woulda made that extra point most likely Mercer Co. would've went for an extra point too. This game could've very well been tied at the end of regulation if not for that. None the less it was a good ballgame and a very impressive showing by Russell after having everyone saying they didn't have a chance.
Congrats Russell another great season. I'm proud of you guys.

Mercer good luck next, if I heard right, in 6A.
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
Russell great season you showed everyone that you could play with Mercer, but the turnovers just killed Russell today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
BC75 Wrote:Congrats Russell another great season. I'm proud of you guys.

Mercer good luck next, if I heard right, in 6A.

I think they are going to be 5A
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
CAM2006 Wrote:I think they are going to be 5A

OK, I thought they said 6A on the Radio, thanx for the correction.
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
They did say 6a on the radio.

Great season Russell...tough hard fought game...
Dream_Weaver Wrote:They did say 6a on the radio.

Great season Russell...tough hard fought game...

They might be going to 6A I have be told that they were going to 5A, either way they will be where they should be
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Absolutely.
Aww...This Sucks...Sounds Like Russell Played Hard Though...Wish I Would Have Been There...Congrats Mercer!
Estillfootballgirl Wrote:Aww...This Sucks...Sounds Like Russell Played Hard Though...Wish I Would Have Been There...Congrats Mercer!

Russell did play hard, it was the turnovers that beat Russell
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Yea...Sounds Like It...Still It Sounds Like It Was A GREAT Game... GRRR THAT I HAD TO MISS IT!!!
Coach Wrote:That missed extra point in the beginning really hurt Russell too. If they woulda made that extra point most likely Mercer Co. would've went for an extra point too. This game could've very well been tied at the end of regulation if not for that.
Mercer ran the 2 point conversion in on a bad snap, so they were going to kick it I believe.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Mercer ran the 2 point conversion in on a bad snap, so they were going to kick it I believe.

Yes it was a bad snap so they ran it in
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Congrats to both teams, on a great game. Russell has nothing to hang their heads about, it was another great season. Although I was pulling for Russell, the game was a lot closer than expected. Considering Mercer is going to be 5A next season, and they'd blown out all their other 2A opponents this season. Nothing to be ashamed of at all for Russell.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Congrats to both teams, on a great game. Russell has nothing to hang their heads about, it was another great season. Although I was pulling for Russell, the game was a lot closer than expected. Considering Mercer is going to be 5A next season, and they'd blown out all their other 2A opponents this season. Nothing to be ashamed of at all for Russell.

I agree 100%
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Congrats Mercer on the victory and congrats to Russell on staying to close to such a powerful team.
Please excuse my ignorance but I can't understand how a 2a school can be a 5or6a school over the course of one school year. I could see maybe moving up to 3a but 2 whole classes! Sounds to me like they shoudn't have been 2a this year.Rolleyes
BIG JOHN Wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but I can't understand how a 2a school can be a 5or6a school over the course of one school year. I could see maybe moving up to 3a but 2 whole classes! Sounds to me like they shoudn't have been 2a this year.Rolleyes

You are right they should not been in 2A this year
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Congrats Mercer Co. on being the new 2006 Class AA Champions and a perfect 15-0 season, and the school's first football state title!
Russell, I wish this would have turned out different for you guys.... You had a GREAT season, nothing to hang your heads about.... Good luck next year! Sounds like you all should be loaded!
CAM2006 Wrote:You are right they should not been in 2A this year

I may be ignorant as well, but like John I have no clue as to why they were in two A. Was it because the old Mercer Co was 2A?? I still don't find that quite fair. I would think they at least should have been 3A if not 4A.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I may be ignorant as well, but like John I have no clue as to why they were in two A. Was it because they are made up of Harrodsburg and the old Mercer Co which were both 2A?? I still don't find that quite fair. I would think they at least should have been 3A if not 4A.

I'm not for sure either why they was in 2A
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
The Blue Blur Wrote:Congrats to both teams, on a great game. Russell has nothing to hang their heads about, it was another great season. Although I was pulling for Russell, the game was a lot closer than expected. Considering Mercer is going to be 5A next season, and they'd blown out all their other 2A opponents this season. Nothing to be ashamed of at all for Russell.

:Thumbs:
Well, you guy's didn't get it today...It's rough im sure...But, on the other hand, unless your a fresman or didn't play last year, you got a ring from last year, let that ring, and today's loss fuel you to get better and be better next year and make it back to state!
Well I ate my words. I said no one in AA culd stat within 21 pts of Mercer. Not only did Russell stay within 3 pts. they also had a chance to win this game.. Russell players and coaches have nothing to be ashamed of.
Moe Wrote:Well I ate my words. I said no one in AA culd stat within 21 pts of Mercer. Not only did Russell stay within 3 pts. they also had a chance to win this game.. Russell players and coaches have nothing to be ashamed of.

I was proved wrong as well.... I did think Mercer would put up good number's against Russell, but their Defense proved me wrong, again.
So they're going from AA to either 5 or 6A and Lawrence County goes from 3A to 4A they just doesn't add up.
Mercer's defense won the game, Not Russell's QB His fumble was A blind side blitz when he going back to pass. The 4 int where good Defense on Mercers part.