Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Class 4A Pre-Season Top 10
Lynch47 Wrote:I think you are reaching a bit. 7 of the last 8 state titles in JC's class were won by Highlands. Lexington Catholic faired no better against Highlands or anyone else for that matter during that run over the past 8 years other than Collins. For the past 4 years Lexington Catholic could've been an obstacle, along with Collins in 2013 or any other Western Side Semi State champ. Boyle would not have been since they didn't win the region in any of those years. No one will truly know for certain how far JC would've went in those years because they had to get by both Highlands and CovCath to advance to that point while others did not. In the end, outside of Collins, each of those that advanced to face Highlands in whatever round for the past 8 years were dealt the same defeat but they just had the benefit of playing in a different region allowing them to extend their season.

:Thumbs: Gotcha thanks
Watch out for The Rock this year. Rock has a stable of backs with toughness and speed.
Matney will have his chance to finally get over the proverbial hump with Highlands and Cov Cath gone. However, other humps remain. I still think JC has to be in the top 3 somewhere.

Look for Franklin Simpson to be a major player. Definitely a top 5 team. Much better than Wayne Co IMO.....
This class seems wide open to me, no real powerhouses with a lot of titles, but still some good teams. Ashland, Johnson central, warren central, and john hardin all have a good shot of establishing themselves as a power.
Lynch47 Wrote:I think you are reaching a bit. 7 of the last 8 state titles in JC's class were won by Highlands. Lexington Catholic faired no better against Highlands or anyone else for that matter during that run over the past 8 years other than Collins. For the past 4 years Lexington Catholic could've been an obstacle, along with Collins in 2013 or any other Western Side Semi State champ. Boyle would not have been since they didn't win the region in any of those years. No one will truly know for certain how far JC would've went in those years because they had to get by both Highlands and CovCath to advance to that point while others did not. In the end, outside of Collins, each of those that advanced to face Highlands in whatever round for the past 8 years were dealt the same defeat but they just had the benefit of playing in a different region allowing them to extend their season.

Lex Cath and Boyle were not in the same class as JC except the last four years. The previous four JC, HHS and Cov Cath were in 5A. So the last 8 years are not really part of their equation but are for Johnson Central.

As to that point: Boyle beat the Eagles in '09 and '10 so the notion that ONLY HHS stood in Centrals' way wouldn't have been true if Boyle were in the same class those season. Maybe others as well. :Thumbs:

In other words, a lot of "If's" can be made to make a case for anyone. Reality is a little different.
Hatz Wrote:Lex Cath and Boyle were not in the same class as JC except the last four years. The previous four JC, HHS and Cov Cath were in 5A. So the last 8 years are not really part of their equation but are for Johnson Central.

As to that point: Boyle beat the Eagles in '09 and '10 so the notion that ONLY HHS stood in Centrals' way wouldn't have been true if Boyle were in the same class those season. Maybe others as well. :Thumbs:

In other words, a lot of "If's" can be made to make a case for anyone. Reality is a little different.
The reality is that Johnson Central lost to Highlands by 7 in 2009 and by 8 in the first game of the season to Boyle, but Boyle and JC were in different classes - so Boyle was not an obstacle that season. In 2008, JC also gave Highlands its closet game in the playoffs, losing by 14.

In 2006, JC led Covington Catholic at home at halftime and was 7 down driving in CovCath territory, when it's star fullback Blake Johnson went down with a season ending injury. Cov Cath went on to win the title game by 21 over BG.

Those three seasons were Johnson Central's best chances at a title and Highlands and or CovCath were the biggest obstacles in each of those seasons.
Hatz Wrote:Lex Cath and Boyle were not in the same class as JC except the last four years. The previous four JC, HHS and Cov Cath were in 5A. So the last 8 years are not really part of their equation but are for Johnson Central.

I knew that both Boyle and LexCath were in different classes for 4 of those 8 years. I also talked about the past four seasons but you cherry picked a lot of what I said to try to make some point. Like you said "If's" can be made to make a case for anyone. Reality is that had JC not been in the same region or class as Highlands and CovCath for those 4 years, Lexington Catholic would've been the Semi State obstacle not Boyle because they couldn't win their region. What shouldn't take too much comprehension is that other than Collins in 2013, for the past 8 years Highlands has been everyone's road block not just JC's and others were given the benefit of playing extended seasons due to being in other regions. That is all that was said and to say anything different is simply not true. For the past 4 years if JC didn't have the Highlands and CovCath block like I responded to, it would've LexCath as an obstacle in the Semi's and the western finalist as the obstacle in the championship. Yeah I'm sure there were a lot of quality teams in the playoffs during those 4 seasons but to be considered a road block for JC they had to advance to that point in the playoffs where they would meet. The "what if" game is always good for a stroke of ego but JC never got a chance to face another region in the playoffs due to two teams that are now gone and Boyle was unable to get past a team that is still in their region for the next four years.
sstack Wrote:I am not the one who brought up that the 2015-16 teams is going to be "the best ever" in the thread. I just was asking others if they agree with this because those where some good teams in the past. Even if this years team wins state, that does not mean they are the best team ever.
As for 4A this year JC does have to be considered one of the favorites, but I do not know if I would say clear-cut favorites. To lazy right now to go back and double check,but was Cov Cath the only 4A team outside of district that JC played last year? Several of the west teams where as good as Cov Cath last year so it will be interesting to see how teams match up. Clearly JC has a lot returning and with new alignment should be excited for this year, but their playoff game last year showed they are not head and shoulders above the rest of the 4A teams. It should be a fun year for JC.

IMO last year's JC team was not as good a team as those that gave HHS those tough games. I saw every JC home game last season. I honestly thought that JC was as good a team as Cov Cath. The game with COV CATH turned on the blocked field goal which was a 10 point swing. After that play I felt like the JC coaching staff got "tight". I am not in the business of downing any one kid on the HS level but if a JC WR brings his HANDS to either of the past two COV CATH games JC for sure wins one or both. If I remember right the kid dropped a total of 6 for sure TD's 3 per game. The sad thing is those dropped balls were the only balls he dropped either season. Last years JC defense was built to stop the "Spread" attack. The DBs and LBs tackled very well in open space. IMO the 2015 JC defense would probably match up better to a Typical HHS team than any JC D in history but I am not sure how well this years D will match up say to a Power Run team or a old fashion Option team or a play action type passing team? We all know that match ups are what make great games. I honestly think the past 2 Belfry state title teams which JC beat probably beat COV CATH either season. Some people that read this might say BS but I watched both games from the COV CATH sideline. The reason I think this is because Belfry was better at attacking the biggest weakness in the COV CATH defense! Both JC and Belfry run the football but JC mainly runs the ball from tackle to tackle, Belfry runs the ball on the option and can attack the outside. I can't count the number of times VS JC the COV CATH DE was SUCKED in a 100 miles and the DB on the same side was 15 yards down field. Never has a Belfry QB played that couldn't option a DE and make a clean quick pitch to the HB in open space they learn that in 5th grade over there! Matney's system is different and avoids that risky Option Pitch. I also think the Belfry coach is better than Matney at getting his team to play its best in playoff games no disrespect to coach Matney but coach Heywood is one of the best ever. I would like to hear more about the other 4A teams systems and styles of play.
[quote=andy griffith]This class seems wide open to me, no real powerhouses with a lot of titles, but still some good teams. Ashland, Johnson central, warren central, and john hardin all have a good shot of establishing themselves as a power.[/QUOTE

IMO you should be adding Collins to that list of future power.
Rock will be good. Not great. they have a few good running backs but their line is small. Unless they put considerable work in from now until kick-off, they won't win their district. It's no secret folks: to win a title or be relevant, you have to have a good line. I hope rock can find one. Knox will be pretty good. State title contenders? Probably not. But I think they'll do okay. They lost a few starters on the line, a reserve linebacker and a starting safety and wide receiver. They lose depth. The defense will have to carry them. But anyways, my top 5:
1) Johnson Central
2) South Warren
3) Franklin-Simpson
4) Ashland Blazer
5) Knox Central/Wayne County/John Hardin
Worst class next year of the 6.
Totally disagree. Why do you think that? I think there are several teams with a chance to win it all. Just because there isn't one of the power house names in the class doesn't mean it is bad.
Tommy2tone Wrote:Totally disagree. Why do you think that? I think there are several teams with a chance to win it all. Just because there isn't one of the power house names in the class doesn't mean it is bad.

Parity wise its one of the best classes, but as far as how good the top teams are think of it this way. Now that Boyle, and Lex Cath are in 3a is the best team in 4a much better not really, bot the best in 5a will be way better. I just think this class will be even, but playing at more of a 3a level instead of being right in between 3a, and 5a level. Basically I think the best 4a team would barely beat the best 3a if they even can pill out the win, but the best 5a would murder them.
andy griffith Wrote:Worst class next year of the 6.

Who cares. And the thread is predicting the 4A Pre-Season Top 10. Didn't realize it said anything about comparing it to the other classes. There is another thread for you to babble in but it's not this one.
I care. Trophies shouldn't be given to bad teams, but in this class a bad team will get one.
4a can't win 5a like 5a can't win 6a. JC beat 3a champ 35-0 in 2014.

Flawed logic man. These 4a teams can't beat some of the powerhouses but I think we will find no one else can either.
mmm good point cardfan, maybe 4a is more significantly better than 3a than I realized, but I still think Boyle, and Lex Cath are as good as anyone in 4a or at least very close. JC beating Belfry that bad at least proves my point about 3a being so weak last year.
andy griffith Wrote:mmm good point cardfan, maybe 4a is more significantly better than 3a than I realized, but I still think Boyle, and Lex Cath are as good as anyone in 4a or at least very close. JC beating Belfry that bad at least proves my point about 3a being so weak last year.

This year you may or may not be correct. For what it's worth (which probably isn't much) in 2016 no one in 3A or 4A for that matter will be able to touch John Hardin.
What class are they.
The JC vs. Belfry game last season wasn't a Belfry team at full strength.

JC did beat Belfry 35-0.... but several starters on both sides of the ball were out with injuries and resting up for the playoffs.

I would rather win a state championship than beat a local team that has no bearing.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
hoss403 Wrote:This year you may or may not be correct. For what it's worth (which probably isn't much) in 2016 no one in 3A or 4A for that matter will be able to touch John Hardin.

I wouldn't bet on that.
Pantherfan59 Wrote:Rock will be good. Not great. they have a few good running backs but their line is small. Unless they put considerable work in from now until kick-off, they won't win their district. It's no secret folks: to win a title or be relevant, you have to have a good line. I hope rock can find one. Knox will be pretty good. State title contenders? Probably not. But I think they'll do okay. They lost a few starters on the line, a reserve linebacker and a starting safety and wide receiver. They lose depth. The defense will have to carry them. But anyways, my top 5:
1) Johnson Central
2) South Warren
3) Franklin-Simpson
4) Ashland Blazer
5) Knox Central/Wayne County/John Hardin

Rock is a great ball club.... but too one dimensional on offense. As it was exposed vs Lex Cath. They need to find a decent passing game to keep the defense honest, then ram it up their throat with their power running game.
Tommy2tone Wrote:I wouldn't bet on that.

I would. But we will all wait and see.
Even though Hoss is a jerk, and don't want me babbling on this thread. I have to like anyone named HOSS. John Hardin 2016 wins state. Book it. Enjoy 2015, cause HOSS, and the JOHN HARDIN BULLDOGS will steam roll 4a in 2016.
andy griffith Wrote:Even though Hoss is a jerk, and don't want me babbling on this thread. I have to like anyone named HOSS. John Hardin 2016 wins state. Book it. Enjoy 2015, cause HOSS, and the JOHN HARDIN BULLDOGS will steam roll 4a in 2016.

First, and probably only, intelligent comment you have made on this board.
Im trying ill take beechwood this year, and Mayfield 2017-2018 book it. In all seriousness was does Warren Central have. Also Ashland, and Johnson Central should be good shouldn't they.
steamroll is a bit much. I'll take the field in 2016 over john hardin.
Cardfan1 Wrote:steamroll is a bit much. I'll take the field in 2016 over john hardin.

And I will take John Hardin over the field.
1. South Warren
2. John Hardin
3. Franklin Simpson
4. Warren Central
5. Johnson Central
6. Franklin County
7. Ashland
8. North Oldham
9. ?
10. ?