Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larkey out at Harlan Co?
Damn, im going to have to rewrite that playbook. I threw it away after they dragged there feet.

Ill see you all in August. No sense in practice. Were gonna get killed.
Very sad day. Tons of respect for Larkey.
Real Badman Wrote:[email]dudley.hilton@Taylor.kyschools.us[/email]
Thanks Badman. Email sent Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Damn, im going to have to rewrite that playbook. I threw it away after they dragged there feet.

Ill see you all in August. No sense in practice. Were gonna get killed.
Just remember GUT we dont let off the throttle when we are ahead..Win by 50+ every game. If you ain't winning state then you ain't winning.
Some of you all need to be careful what you wish for! YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER COACH THAN TOM LARKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DarthVader Wrote:Absolutely terrible if Harlan County forced out Tom Larkey. Im going to say it would have to be a case of another spineless administration giving in to a bunch of know nothing parents if that's the case. They will be hard pressed in terms of finding some coach better than Larkey.

You my friend are on the money with this one!!!! It happens all the time now, these administrators think high school football is like the SEC news flash they can recruit. You will always have down years in public school football UNLESS YOU RECRUIT and if you do that and you don't win you are not much of a coach.
Sad day in Harlan County! Educating our kids and putting positive role models as coaches around our kids is NOT a business. One bad season. But in my opinion this is political and about money has nothing to do about football. Black Bear Football has took a step back. Terrible! Thanks to Tom Larkey for bringing Harlan County together and building a great football program.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Will Scotty Russell be going home?

Personally I wouldn't have a problem if he did go home. I can understand anyone wanting to go home. If he does I wish him the best of luck. But I really dont see it happening.. but stranger things have happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Demarcus ware Wrote:Just remember GUT we dont let off the throttle when we are ahead..Win by 50+ every game. If you ain't winning state then you ain't winning.

I want special teams. I got a plan for that never punt and slwaus go for 2 and onside kick everytime..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
WOW ! It's going to be interesting who they hire. Who in the world do they think will be better. I can't wait to see who they hire that is going to be so much better. This is a big shocker! All I can say is WOW! What a mistake!
Wow
Usually I agree with you Patriot and I also agree that this is political or a bad conduct of some sort type of firing. I dont think its cause of one bad season. But to think that football hasnt become a business is naive. It makes alot of money for these schools and when the seats are empty then that hurts the bottom line. Im not saying its right but it is the truth if you look at it from the schools perspective.
I wonder if Parkey would voluntarily step back at Rock to bring back Tom? Would Tony Saylor come back? Do Leger and Reagan have any eligibility left? lol
bobcatsfan Wrote:Wow....Larkey was a great football coach and a great man. Don't see them getting anyone as good as Larkey. Kinda stunned right now.
We are ALL stunned, but for those "in the know".

goBIGblue82 Wrote:Will Scotty Russell be going home?
I think he IS home! Building a great program at KC and from what I've heard is very happy there.

skully03 Wrote:Confusednicker::lmao:Confusednicker::lmao: let me know when spring practice starts.
This isn't funny. I'm actually a little surprised at this post.

OldSchoolTiger Wrote:Just think if Clay County had waited one more week, maybe we could have tried for a great football coach for a change.
That's EXACTLY what I told SKINNYPIG!!

Patriot Wrote:Sad day in Harlan County! Educating our kids and putting positive role models as coaches around our kids is NOT a business. One bad season. But in my opinion this is political and about money has nothing to do about football. Black Bear Football has took a step back. Terrible! Thanks to Tom Larkey for bringing Harlan County together and building a great football program.

^^
Exactly!!!

I am really upset about this situation, and the more I hear from the kids, the more upset I become. I had told ONE person about a theory of mine, that turned out not to be true. MamaBear is correct about the published
reason that Larkey was fired.....the principle just wanted a change.

From reliable sources, I have heard that Larkey was fired in a two lined email, then went straight to the principle's office for a meeting, then met with the kids. 43 years coaching, 8 victories short of his 300th win, and he got two sentences in an email.

I'm going to tell you guys exactly what I think and then I'm not going to even view this thread again because it's just too hurtful. I believe that Larkey is the target of a politically motivated action. I will be watching over the next few weeks, and as God is my witness, if I can find proof of what I am now suspecting, I will spread it all over Harlan County. And I would LOVE to name the names of those involved.

The kids end up on the short end of the stick. I haven't heard a single kid say that they are glad Larkey is gone, but I've seen a ton of them crying or upset because of it.

Once again, we sell out kids out to the highest bidder over political power.
Are we EVER going to learn?
Demarcus ware Wrote:GUT, PjDoug, Skully03, get your coaching shoes on. We're up Confusednicker:

I'm ready Confusednicker:
Well the Money Hungry principal is running of teachers and now good coaches is what I'm saying. They are worried more about a dollar than an education. I mean for goodness sake they sold handicap parking as VIP for $5 and had handicap people walking from the regular parking lot! The playoff games the black bears have played in has brought in tons of money. Without a great hire it'll be a long time before HC hosts another state semi final game.
After talking to a lot of people today this is pretty much the story of what happened.

The principal emailed to tell him, wouldn't even tell him face to face.

When she did finally talk to him she said that she had complaints of 2 losing season in a row, I think coach Larkey reminded her that last year they won 8 games, which she was unaware of.

It comes down to this woman caved in from pressure from 3-4 people and she has no business trying to run a sports program when she isn't even capable of running a school.

We averaged 8 wins a year with coach Larkey and she fires him. She should be the one fired.

The kids I talked to today are hurt and in shock. Not one had anything bad to say about coach Larkey, only how much good he did for each of them.

She is incapable of being a principal and very incapable of being a leader when she bows down to a few mad parents whose kid didn't get to play because they weren't any good.

She is ignorant in what she did and just mad more enemies than friends.

Did she ever give a legit reason for firing a guy who averaged 8 wins, went to 2 semi finals, won the region many times and the dist many times
skully03 Wrote:Confusednicker::lmao:Confusednicker::lmao: let me know when spring practice starts.

Shocked you put this, I expected better of you than that.
Bear booster Wrote:After talking to a lot of people today this is pretty much the story of what happened.

When she did finally talk to him she said that she had complaints of 2 losing season in a row, I think coach Larkey reminded her that last year they won 8 games, which she was unaware of.

It comes down to this woman caved in from pressure from 3-4 people and she has no business trying to run a sports program when she isn't even capable of running a school.

We averaged 8 wins a year with coach Larkey and she fires him. She should be the one fired.

The kids I talked to today are hurt and in shock. Not one had anything bad to say about coach Larkey, only how much good he did for each of them.

She is incapable of being a principal and very incapable of being a leader when she bows down to a few mad parents whose kid didn't get to play because they weren't any good.

Did she ever give a legit reason for firing a guy who averaged 8 wins, went to 2 semi finals, won the region many times and the dist many times

:Clap:

Best wishes to a great coach and from what I've gathered a great man and mentor. Sounds like a small misguided group just sent the Black Bear program backsliding. Hoping the student-athletes can gain traction sooner rather than later since ultimately decisions like this hurt them more than anyone else!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Gotta get some weightroom work in but will let you know.
Spirit100 Wrote::Clap:

Best wishes to a great coach and from what I've gathered a great man and mentor. Sounds like a small misguided group just sent the Black Bear program backsliding. Hoping the student-athletes can gain traction sooner rather than later since ultimately decisions like this hurt them more than anyone else!

their program was already backsliding Confusedtare:
Demarcus ware Wrote:Usually I agree with you Patriot and I also agree that this is political or a bad conduct of some sort type of firing. I dont think its cause of one bad season. But to think that football hasnt become a business is naive. It makes alot of money for these schools and when the seats are empty then that hurts the bottom line. Im not saying its right but it is the truth if you look at it from the schools perspective.

This aint the SEC it has nothing to do with people in the seats or it dang sure shouldn't. IT IS PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE DOWN YEARS!!!!! I know mommy and daddy think that their little baby is the greatest football player on earth and will be a first round pick. It aint Tom Larky he has proven he is a winner it is the jimmies and joes. If he was some 5th year head coach you might and I say might have an argument about the coach but he aint he is TOM LARKY almost has 300 wins. IT IS THE PLAYERS!!!!!! OR LACK THERE OF.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:This aint the SEC it has nothing to do with people in the seats or it dang sure shouldn't. IT IS PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE DOWN YEARS!!!!! I know mommy and daddy think that their little baby is the greatest football player on earth and will be a first round pick. It aint Tom Larky he has proven he is a winner it is the jimmies and joes. If he was some 5th year head coach you might and I say might have an argument about the coach but he aint he is TOM LARKY almost has 300 wins. IT IS THE PLAYERS!!!!!! OR LACK THERE OF.

I dont agree with the lack of players thing.I will never believe that Bell County has more talent in it than Knox,Harlan or Laurel Counties or any of the surrounding counties.I dont believe a single county in Southeastern Kentucky has superior talent to the others.
Bear booster Wrote:After talking to a lot of people today this is pretty much the story of what happened.

Here is what I think you all need to do. Hold that Principal accountable, go after her job!!! Raise cane with the board!!!!! Don't sit on your hands!!!!! It is high time that administrators are held accountable for their action. To many people just talk a good game but they need to follow through sit at the board meetings and raise h@$%!!!!!!!!! This kind of crap is happing all over the state because you have English teachers or Biology teachers that are now principals that know nothing about sports and have no backbone to tell parents they don't want to hear it. Well since they are firing coaches because 2 or 3 sets of parents complain then I say take all those parents of the players that love coach Larky and go to the superintendent and raise h#$% until they put him back in and fire the principal!!!!!!!!!! Action speak louder than words folks you are losing a great man and coach if you don't!!!!!!!!!!
pjdoug Wrote:I dont agree with the lack of players thing.I will never believe that Bell County has more talent in it than Knox,Harlan or Laurel Counties or any of the surrounding counties.I dont believe a single county in Southeastern Kentucky has superior talent to the others.

you don't? High school football in the public schools will always go through ups and downs. There are bad senior classes out there and if you put a bad or just a decent class behind them or in front of them that makes for a bad season or even 3 bad seasons. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken poo!!!!! I wouldn't wont to be a high school coach for a million dollars a year with all the parents that think their baby is the best thing and is going to get a scholarship to Alabama or should have, and it is the coaches fault because he didn't. My sons were good high school football players, I said good not great and did not get a scholarship offer and I didn't think they would. But they were very good players that were difference makers on there team that when they graduated they were missed the next year BUT they were not good enough to get a scholarship. I had no dreams of them being these great players in college. Sorry got on a roll
The Eagle has landed Wrote:you don't? High school football in the public schools will always go through ups and downs. There are bad senior classes out there and if you put a bad or just a decent class behind them or in front of them that makes for a bad season or even 3 bad seasons. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken poo!!!!! I wouldn't wont to be a high school coach for a million dollars a year with all the parents that think their baby is the best thing and is going to get a scholarship to Alabama or should have, and it is the coaches fault because he didn't. My sons were good high school football players, I said good not great and did not get a scholarship offer and I didn't think they would. But they were very good players that were difference makers on there team that when they graduated they were missed the next year BUT they were not good enough to get a scholarship. I had no dreams of them being these great players in college. Sorry got on a roll

How many wins does a school like Bell County have in the last 20 years? and dont tell me its because they've had superior talent to border counties like Harlan or Whitley.they've had a good program and good coaching at all levels preparing them.
If I am Harlan County I take a long hard look at Coach Thompson from Wayne County or Coach Herron at Williamsburg. I think both are great coaches but Harlan County would afford them luxuries they do not have at their current Coaching gigs.
pjdoug Wrote:their program was already backsliding Confusedtare:

Then who stops the slide? Turn that frown upside down if it's such a great day to send Larkey packing. You to DeMarcusWare...

Sounds like you all have it figured out. If you are going to make light of a great coaches firing be prepared to answer serious questions and ID what gets HC back to winning seasons!

What sort of coach wins? Coaching or overall team talent down in 2014? Did injuries play a large role in 2014?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Then who stops the slide? Turn that frown upside down if it's such a great day to send Larkey packing. You to DeMarcusWare...

Sounds like you all have it figured out. If you are going to make light of a great coaches firing be prepared to answer serious questions and ID what gets HC back to winning seasons!

What sort of coach wins? Coaching or overall team talent down in 2014? Did injuries play a large role in 2014?

I'm not frowning :biggrin: lol
Spirit100 Wrote:Then who stops the slide? Turn that frown upside down if it's such a great day to send Larkey packing. You to DeMarcusWare...

Well the good thing is I'm just a fan and this is a message board so i really don't have to answer anything. And like I previously said I'll wait to find out why he was fired, I've already said it wasnt because of one bad season, even I know that. There has been things ongoing at HC for a few years now so if you're not a fan that knows then I can see why you and others have their panties in a wad. So calm down Mr. Man and wait till we find out why he was fired. Until then be happy the sun is shining and its a new day.