Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP All- State selections
Congratulations to those who made it, great job. I do feel bad for those players who do not have a paper that votes in their town.
I think it really makes a huge difference. Our paper here in Leslie Co. barely has a sports section and no clue of an AP vote...
PRIDE101 Wrote:Congratulations to those who made it, great job. I do feel bad for those players who do not have a paper that votes in their town.

...and to qualify that furthermore, have paper/s, just not AP affiliated or have strong ties to the AP.

NKY must have pissed their AP contact off! Confusednicker:

Congrats to the honored athletes. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
question?? brad elkins from pike co central makes honorable mention....and Fairview beats them and has a receiver with more catches and yards doesn't make it? blake smith wr senior Fairview high school. doesn't make sense
Not sure exactly how this is done, possibly the kids with more than one vote get in - and if only one vote they don't. I guess human emotions can get involved, if someone doesn't like someone for some infraction they noticed in one game or had something against a kid then they wouldn't vote for them etc. Some are going to get hidden/lost about any way you do this, unfortunately. An old coach I played for used to tell his players: 'the cream always rises'. In other words if you are good enough they will know about you and you will be rewarded in these state selections (in my opinion, in most cases)! I also feel like it is tuff on the Seniors that should have been on there that didn't make it - that is who I feel for when they are over looked! :Sad04:
This just proves that it's a popularity contest. No way in the world this list is accurate. Not even close.
Brandon Jones the ALL TIME SCORING LEADER at Hazard High dont even make honorable mention? What blind fools pick this team?
Here in lies the problem...not saying others aren't deserving, but who off these lists would you remove? That's the question.
I'm not just blowing smoke here, but I've seen almost every one of these guys either in person and/or on film the last year or so and there isn't a one I'd take off.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I'm not just blowing smoke here, but I've seen almost every one of these guys either in person and/or on film the last year or so and there isn't a one I'd take off.

Therein lies the problem! I too have either seen play, watched film of - or heard from those who know about the kids on that list & you are right, who are you going to take off??? They are all deserving in my opinion as well!
Two votes from ap paper gets a player hon. men. It is not pick by individuals, who is the hometown paper and 1 more. I too agree that most do not get on the list because they are not deserving. If a player makes one of the three list that have came out, they are well deserving of all. JMO
It is a flawed system, but the fault lies in negligence more so than blatantly picking the wrong kids.

A snub in the AP All-State is the product more of media voters at the Regional level simply not casting their ballot.

Outside of Highlands the NKY contingent is nowhere to be seen. There is no doubt there were several more than deserving players who didn't make it simply due to the local media failing to cast a vote.
With not a single kid from the Northeastern KY area including a high profile name like Baker on the list anywhere one can only assume the local AP source did not turn in a ballot and if I remember correctly for the second year in a row. Very disappointing and if what I suspect is correct, they owe an apology to every kid who played football in their area.