Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming Weightlifting Events
I know this is a football thread, but I figured the weightlifting clubs were formed by the football teams.

Is anyone aware of upcoming weightlifting events around Kentucky?

I have heard that North Laurel, Boyd County, and Lynn Camp are likely to again host events.
Just found out Raceland is having theirs on February 28th but am not sure what lifts it will encompass. I'm all for any meet that concentrates on the big 3; bench, squat, dead, but am lenient on whether or not to have kids participate in the power clean during comps. It is fine to do in the weight room but having a kid shoot for a max can lead towards a multitude of problems. During this time they are trying to hit numbers and are more likely to lose proper form and technique.
Max deadlift is way more harmful than power clean.
Coupon21 Wrote:Max deadlift is way more harmful than power clean.

Really?! You really think so?

I would seem to believe trying to flip 300+ pounds on your chest while standing is much more dangerous. I know it is in our weightroom.

If you can't do it on deadlift it falls straight down.
^
Ive always thought the same, but I consider them both equally as dangerous. Kids simply cant control themselves enough to keep form and often times, coaches don't even know correct technique.

When I was in school, we went to several weightlifting competitions and I don't recall any of them including dead lift, but then again we did not dead lift. They were all squat, bench, and power clean.
Back in mid 80's the meets we competed in were bench and deadlift only.
I agree. I believe a power clean can be much more harmful than a dead lift. Both can be harmful if not done correctly but anytime you have a jerking movement added to having kids attempt weights that they cannot do spells trouble to me. This is just my opinion though. I do think cleans are good for explosiveness....just not for a max.