Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th REGION PRESEASON TOP 10
108 Stitches Wrote:According to the KHSAA schedule, Johnson Central has St. X, Trinity, and Tates Creek now on their schedule! Along with some pretty good teams at the PG Georgia tournament! Should help them when it comes down to the post season!!!

It is a very impressive schedule for any team, but especially from an area not use to that type of schedule. It could be the toughest schedule anyone has ever had in eastern KY. Jody Hamilton was known to play some really good teams while he was at Boyd, but nothing like this. The teams that are playing them from KY are tough enough, but when you look at the quality of competition that will be at the Perfect Game tournament in Georgia, it makes it one of the tougher schedules in the state. With the exception of maybe one or two teams and also excluding the other two teams from KY, all of those programs are top 20 overall teams in their respective state, including a Harvard-Westlake team that was ranked among the top 30 in the nation last year. I know not every school is equipped every year to play a schedule like this, but it will do wonders for them, if they win the region, to make a push in Lexington.
baseball1974 Wrote:It is a very impressive schedule for any team, but especially from an area not use to that type of schedule. It could be the toughest schedule anyone has ever had in eastern KY. Jody Hamilton was known to play some really good teams while he was at Boyd, but nothing like this. The teams that are playing them from KY are tough enough, but when you look at the quality of competition that will be at the Perfect Game tournament in Georgia, it makes it one of the tougher schedules in the state. With the exception of maybe one or two teams and also excluding the other two teams from KY, all of those programs are top 20 overall teams in their respective state, including a Harvard-Westlake team that was ranked among the top 30 in the nation last year. I know not every school is equipped every year to play a schedule like this, but it will do wonders for them, if they win the region, to make a push in Lexington.

A .500 record going into the district tournament after playing this schedule might be the equivalent to being one of the greatest records ever for a JCHS team. Could even surpass last years 31 wins in a season record for wins, in terms of accomplishment.
Im taking Lc theyve been working hard this offseason
paintsville will be a close second
then jc if they can get out of the 57th
Lcdawgman Wrote:Im taking Lc theyve been working hard this offseason

Be careful. We LC fans can't have positive opinions about our team on here.

My rankings are a bit different. As much as I love our team, JC is #1 this year in the preseason. After the top spot, LC and Paintsville and Belfry will all compete for that #2 spot. Who knows come postseason. Three of these four may not even make it in to the regional tourney.
Johnson Central, Paintsville and Lawrence County will be the teams in the race. Their feeder programs are excellent.
WinkWinkler Wrote:Johnson Central, Paintsville and Lawrence County will be the teams in the race. Their feeder programs are excellent.

I don't think you can narrow it down to just those three. Johnson Central has the edge this year. However, there are several teams that could "potentially" be in that #2 spot. The key word is potentially. With so many questions surrounding so many teams, its extremely hard to rank the 15th before they start. Paintsville has the arms to beat anyone, but will their offense show up? Lawrence always comes to play and can rise to any occasion, but will they find anyone that can compete on the mound in big games and shut teams down? Allen Central was offensively more efficient than anyone in the region last year and have a lot coming back, but how will the new coach do, and same with Sheldon Clark? Even though overall Sheldon Clark isn't one of the top teams, they can beat anyone in the region in a one-game series. Prestonsburg will also have a question mark as to how much they will be developed from last year to this year? Belfry has a lot coming back as well and could easily play for the regional title this year. Not too mention Pike Central and Pikeville. Pike Central has a lot returning and arguably the best coach in the region. Pikeville was the youngest team in the region last year and really improved over the course of last year, almost pulling out an upset in the regional tournament. They were either hot or cold last year, mostly cold, but if they mature a lot then they definitely have the talent to compete.

I just think there are too many unknown variables with a lot of teams to just be able to narrow it down to a couple. If Johnson Central was to get upset, then I think there are 4 or 5 teams that could potentially win the region. Just based off pitching, I'd have to give that advantage to Paintsville if that were to happen. However, that is just on paper and they still have to show up and play. It should be an interesting season.
I'd be interested by people who have seen most teams in order who are the top 5 pitchers in the 15th going into this season?
What criteria would you use to rate the top 5? Wins/Loses, era, schedule strength, ? There are some pretty good pitchers that just don't have much support around them!
Lcdawgman Wrote:[SIZE="4"]Im taking Lc theyve been working hard this offseason[/SIZE]

I guess nobody else is working hard in the offseason so LC will win it all.
Eagle Eye Wrote:I guess nobody else is working hard in the offseason so LC will win it all.

Most teams in the region have several players playing basketball right now. Lc has no baseball players on the basketball team. It is hard for a player like kash daniels to focus on baseball only when he is also playing football and basketball. That being said kash enough talent to compete in any sport. It is hard to say how good kash would be if he just focused on baseball (not saying he should) I would the poy last couple of years in the 15th region
It is a major advantage to have your best players with an extra month and a half of swings and giving your best pitchers a lot more time to strengthen their arms. I like having players that play multiple sports but basketball can cause major issues for baseball, especially early on. I wish there was a way to fix that and make it more reasonable for kids to play multiple sports. When your biggest competition for the upcoming year has two plus months of extra preparation, it is a no-brainer they'll have an advantage going into the season. Those teams are at mid-season form for their first scrimmage. Ultimately, by the time post season comes around it won't matter much, but it could take a hit to your record early on. I've known coaches in the past with that issue that would get creative with their scheduling early in the season to account for that variable. However, most single A schools rely on their athletes to play multiple sports. If not, its extremely difficult for them to be competitive across the board. Making kids chose one sport or the other shouldn't be the answer to this issue. The KHSAA should be able to find a way to fix this problem. It will probably end up being something along the lines of changing start dates and end dates to sport's seasons, or they can go back to putting more sanctions on how early kids can start practice. Regardless, there has to be a way. It's better for the kids to play multiple sports and it's also better for the schools and the teams involved.
baseball1974 Wrote:It is a major advantage to have your best players with an extra month and a half of swings and giving your best pitchers a lot more time to strengthen their arms. I like having players that play multiple sports but basketball can cause major issues for baseball, especially early on. I wish there was a way to fix that and make it more reasonable for kids to play multiple sports. When your biggest competition for the upcoming year has two plus months of extra preparation, it is a no-brainer they'll have an advantage going into the season. Those teams are at mid-season form for their first scrimmage. Ultimately, by the time post season comes around it won't matter much, but it could take a hit to your record early on. I've known coaches in the past with that issue that would get creative with their scheduling early in the season to account for that variable. However, most single A schools rely on their athletes to play multiple sports. If not, its extremely difficult for them to be competitive across the board. Making kids chose one sport or the other shouldn't be the answer to this issue. The KHSAA should be able to find a way to fix this problem. It will probably end up being something along the lines of changing start dates and end dates to sport's seasons, or they can go back to putting more sanctions on how early kids can start practice. Regardless, there has to be a way. It's better for the kids to play multiple sports and it's also better for the schools and the teams involved.

I've known schools to have players playing multiple sports but the players who played baseball would come in after their basketball practice and get swings in, or throw. And let's be honest, what does the first 3 weeks, or really the entire season, really mean unless it is district seeded games? It's the postseason that matters. Just don't schedule your district games until April. Pretty simple solution to me, to be honest.

Putting "restrictions" on teams and punishing teams just because they don't have as many or no basketball players on their baseball team (or football players playing football) is a bit too much. We aren't a communist country. Confusednicker:
I understand your need to disagree and that is fine with me, but you're missing my point. Of course, some kids try to squeeze in batting practice and throwing during their other seasons and that's not who I am referring to. I am talking about the kid that has stopped playing one sport or another due to being so far behind when they do start. Your elite athletes will always be able to do multiple sports and not have to worry about catching up. However, for the most part the average high school athlete will have to do nothing but their sport during that season because 99% of the coaches around the country do not allow their players to practice other sports during their season. It'd be the same as a kid leaving after a baseball game or practice to participate in spring football practice. I don't know many baseball coaches that allow that. It creates a tremendous amount of liability and chance of injury. No coach wants to lose a starter because he got hurt practicing a different sport during your season. No good coaches will let that happen. Therefore, they go season to season and in the summer they try to play as many as they can. So an average kid coming out of basketball season that already knows he's months and months behind the other kids playing his position, usually will not waste their time even coming out. Unless they are above and beyond the other kids athletically, they will not have the same opportunities as a kid that has been practicing for months.
baseball1974 Wrote:I understand your need to disagree and that is fine with me, but you're missing my point. Of course, some kids try to squeeze in batting practice and throwing during their other seasons and that's not who I am referring to. I am talking about the kid that has stopped playing one sport or another due to being so far behind when they do start. Your elite athletes will always be able to do multiple sports and not have to worry about catching up. However, for the most part the average high school athlete will have to do nothing but their sport during that season because 99% of the coaches around the country do not allow their players to practice other sports during their season. It'd be the same as a kid leaving after a baseball game or practice to participate in spring football practice. I don't know many baseball coaches that allow that. It creates a tremendous amount of liability and chance of injury. No coach wants to lose a starter because he got hurt practicing a different sport during your season. No good coaches will let that happen. Therefore, they go season to season and in the summer they try to play as many as they can. So an average kid coming out of basketball season that already knows he's months and months behind the other kids playing his position, usually will not waste their time even coming out. Unless they are above and beyond the other kids athletically, they will not have the same opportunities as a kid that has been practicing for months.

First off, no, I don't understand my "need to disagree"???? I disagree with you because I think you are wrong. Why punish teams/schools with restrictions because they don't have as many two sport athletes? You do realize that not every good athlete LIKES to play other sports, don't you? You also realize that not every parent can financially support their children playing multiple sports, don't you?

I'm not disagreeing with you for any other reason that you are one-sided and bias on this. Pretty obvious. Now, let's enjoy the perfect baseball weather for this upcoming week. :biglmao: Or should we place restrictions on the teams that have indoor facilities since it may be unfair this next week on those who don't have the opportunity?
The preseason state rankings has the 15th in this order:

https://www.truerank.org/2015-ky-basebal...eason.html

Johnson Central 17
Lawrence County 64
Belfry 81
Paintsville 93
Allen Central 97
Prestonsburg 116
Pike County Central 135
Pikeville 142
Sheldon Clark 150
Phelps 181
East Ridge 182
Shelby Valley 197
Betsy Layne 202
Magoffin County 206
South Floyd 216
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:First off, no, I don't understand my "need to disagree"???? I disagree with you because I think you are wrong. Why punish teams/schools with restrictions because they don't have as many two sport athletes? You do realize that not every good athlete LIKES to play other sports, don't you? You also realize that not every parent can financially support their children playing multiple sports, don't you?

I'm not disagreeing with you for any other reason that you are one-sided and bias on this. Pretty obvious. Now, let's enjoy the perfect baseball weather for this upcoming week. :biglmao: Or should we place restrictions on the teams that have indoor facilities since it may be unfair this next week on those who don't have the opportunity?

Obviously, your level of comprehension isn't quite there yet because nothing you are saying has anything to do with what I said. I'm also not sure what having an indoor facility has anything to do with it? For some reason you feel the need to make it personal towards Lawrence County and I couldn't care less what Lawrence's take is on the matter, but I'm sure opinions change from year to year depending on certain teams' situation.
baseball1974 Wrote:Obviously, your level of comprehension isn't quite there yet because nothing you are saying has anything to do with what I said. I'm also not sure what having an indoor facility has anything to do with it? For some reason you feel the need to make it personal towards Lawrence County and I couldn't care less what Lawrence's take is on the matter, but I'm sure opinions change from year to year depending on certain teams' situation.

No, the funny thing is how you ASSUME I made a slant towards Lawrence, yet never did and didn't even hint towards it. Yet YOU were quick to bring up Lawrence. How about that? Hmmm....:ChairHit:

Did you not mention doing something for the start/end dates of sports to help out smaller schools with 2 sport athletes? That's called restrictions, especially to teams (notice I never mentioned the "L" word) who may not have 2 sport players.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:No, the funny thing is how you ASSUME I made a slant towards Lawrence, yet never did and didn't even hint towards it. Yet YOU were quick to bring up Lawrence. How about that? Hmmm....:ChairHit:

Did you not mention doing something for the start/end dates of sports to help out smaller schools with 2 sport athletes? That's called restrictions, especially to teams (notice I never mentioned the "L" word) who may not have 2 sport players.

I'm going to take the advice of everyone on this site and not prolong this anymore. Last time it took three pages to explain things and you all still didn't understand. That's not anything I want to get into.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm going to take the advice of everyone on this site and not prolong this anymore. Last time it took three pages to explain things and you all still didn't understand. That's not anything I want to get into.

So you finally figured out that this cat would argue with you till the end of time that you can squeeze lemonade from a tomato, knowing full well you cant. Commanche's got him pegged to a "T".

:HitWall::HitWall::HitWall:
baseball1974 Wrote:...The KHSAA should be able to find a way to fix this problem. It will probably end up being something along the lines of changing start dates and end dates to sport's seasons, or they can go back to putting more sanctions on how early kids can start practice. .....

Claiming you didn't know what I was talking about, these were your words. Sounds to me you were suggesting restrictions to help out small schools. But, again, you turn it in to making unfounded claims and remarks towards me. I was merely pointing out the audacity of your words. Paintsville has 3 sport players.....(cry cry cry).....not fair that other schools have been practicing baseball since August.....(sniff sniff sniff)......:biglmao:
Bob Seger Wrote:So you finally figured out that this cat would argue with you till the end of time that you can squeeze lemonade from a tomato, knowing full well you cant. Commanche's got him pegged to a "T".

:HitWall::HitWall::HitWall:

I should've learned my lesson awhile ago......
Lc has several players that also play football, and they have had players in the past that played all three, it has just turned out this year they don't have any baseball players that are also playing basketball. My commit was simply to say it is hard for a team to work togethet if you have players playing basketball. It is hard to be on the field when your on bus headed to phelps to play a basketball game.
dawg fan Wrote:Lc has several players that also play football, and they have had players in the past that played all three, it has just turned out this year they don't have any baseball players that are also playing basketball. My commit was simply to say it is hard for a team to work togethet if you have players playing basketball. It is hard to be on the field when your on bus headed to phelps to play a basketball game.

I agree with you. Basketball is really the only sport that causes issues for baseball and lately spring football practice as well. Those players playing basketball, unless they are athletically elite to everyone else, will be behind on the depth chart to those kids that have been practicing since August. It will take them half the year to catch up if they do at all, and that is why numbers are continuing to drop all over the country for multiple sport athletes. They pick their favorite when they get to high school and stick to it because they don't want to take the chance of someone practicing year around taking their spot or getting the spot they want because they missed for another sport.
I just want to mention a couple things and I'll leave it up to you experts to dispute, as I am just a casual fan with no dog, or "dawg, lol" in the fight in any way.
I love high school baseball in every way up to and including the disputes that come from this forum. It seems that on these cold winter days it's enough to get ones blood flowing enough to warm you up and look forward to the smell of a baseball field.
Now here is my take and again I'm just judging by the 30 some games I got to see last year with the majority of them being 57th, 58th districts.
I feel that Paintsville is overall the most talented team in the 15th and potentially talent alone maybe top 10 in the state.
They have a few flaws as does every team but with a year more experience and the return of 2 of the top 10 players in the region (Phelps, Miller) I "BELIEVE" they are the team to beat in the region.
Now I seen an earlier post that LC has beaten Paintsville 3 of 4. I won't argue that bc it's a proven fact, but can we go 1 step further and say that of those 3 wins that LC was pitching Wallen, who clearly had P'villes number but is no longer there bc of graduation. So this year you can throw those 3 wins away. The district tourney win last year that LC beat Pville, the game was won by COACHING. Feltner is a tremendous baseball mind, found a weakness and exploited it ( 4 consecutive bunt base hits). This was a ball game that could've went either way and then when the bunts happened Pville fell apart. Now not using that as an excuse bc that was brilliant by LC coaching and that's why they played the game. Congrats to LC on the win.
However what I want to address is this. IMO LC does not have 1 pitcher that has the dominant ability that Wallen had. They have some really good arms in (Bailey, Cantrell, Salyers, and I'll even say the young Bowens kid). However I just don't see any of these players that would be even a number 3 on the P'ville pitching staff. How could you justify putting any of them ahead of (Rice, Miller, or Daniels maybe not even Phelps). Again just my opinion.
Now JC I'll address. A great team with a tremendous coaching staff. I think they have the best catcher in the region in Gamble. They are loaded with young strong arms. Not sure of all the names with the exception of Blanton. I feel JC weakness is gonna be a leader in the clubhouse as I "BELIEVE" they are a fairly young team with graduating 8 seniors. I also think they are gonna be "somewhat" weaker in the field bc of losing a few starters. Now they have one of the best young SS I have ever seen but he can't play 3rd and SS both that's a fact. Shawn will figure it out this we know bc he has proven it year after year. I think it's gonna be a fun and exciting year and I can't wait for it to start. It's gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out with LC going to the 60th.
Let the debates begin. Again I have not said anything bad nor negative about any team as I have no reason to root for nor against any of these teams, I have just stated what I have witnessed with my own eyes and I believe in my heart.
1. Paintsville
2. JC
3. LC
4. Belfry
5. AC/ PCC
I guess we will see shortly as lc has p-ville and jc the first week of the season.
Completely Neutral Wrote:I just want to mention a couple things and I'll leave it up to you experts to dispute, as I am just a casual fan with no dog, or "dawg, lol" in the fight in any way.
I love high school baseball in every way up to and including the disputes that come from this forum. It seems that on these cold winter days it's enough to get ones blood flowing enough to warm you up and look forward to the smell of a baseball field.
Now here is my take and again I'm just judging by the 30 some games I got to see last year with the majority of them being 57th, 58th districts.
I feel that Paintsville is overall the most talented team in the 15th and potentially talent alone maybe top 10 in the state.
They have a few flaws as does every team but with a year more experience and the return of 2 of the top 10 players in the region (Phelps, Miller) I "BELIEVE" they are the team to beat in the region.
Now I seen an earlier post that LC has beaten Paintsville 3 of 4. I won't argue that bc it's a proven fact, but can we go 1 step further and say that of those 3 wins that LC was pitching Wallen, who clearly had P'villes number but is no longer there bc of graduation. So this year you can throw those 3 wins away. The district tourney win last year that LC beat Pville, the game was won by COACHING. Feltner is a tremendous baseball mind, found a weakness and exploited it ( 4 consecutive bunt base hits). This was a ball game that could've went either way and then when the bunts happened Pville fell apart. Now not using that as an excuse bc that was brilliant by LC coaching and that's why they played the game. Congrats to LC on the win.
However what I want to address is this. IMO LC does not have 1 pitcher that has the dominant ability that Wallen had. They have some really good arms in (Bailey, Cantrell, Salyers, and I'll even say the young Bowens kid). However I just don't see any of these players that would be even a number 3 on the P'ville pitching staff. How could you justify putting any of them ahead of (Rice, Miller, or Daniels maybe not even Phelps). Again just my opinion.
Now JC I'll address. A great team with a tremendous coaching staff. I think they have the best catcher in the region in Gamble. They are loaded with young strong arms. Not sure of all the names with the exception of Blanton. I feel JC weakness is gonna be a leader in the clubhouse as I "BELIEVE" they are a fairly young team with graduating 8 seniors. I also think they are gonna be "somewhat" weaker in the field bc of losing a few starters. Now they have one of the best young SS I have ever seen but he can't play 3rd and SS both that's a fact. Shawn will figure it out this we know bc he has proven it year after year. I think it's gonna be a fun and exciting year and I can't wait for it to start. It's gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out with LC going to the 60th.
Let the debates begin. Again I have not said anything bad nor negative about any team as I have no reason to root for nor against any of these teams, I have just stated what I have witnessed with my own eyes and I believe in my heart.
1. Paintsville
2. JC
3. LC
4. Belfry
5. AC/ PCC

Before last season, Wallen wasn't considered "dominant" either. He blossomed. LC has a kid that is better than Wallen was as a Junior in Austin Bailey. Kid threw low 80s as a freshman, pitched extremely well last year as the #2, beating Logan (WV) who was a top 5 AAA school there. I can see him being as dominant as anyone in the 15th. Just my opinion though.

Paintsville has potentially the best talent on the field....IF THEY STAY HEALTHY. Seems every year someone goes down for a long period of time. Maybe it's where they play 2-3 sports and their body gets worn down by the time baseball come around. Who knows.

But, to me, the rankings are clear cut in the preseason:

1. JC
2a. LC
2b. P-ville

After those two, you have Belfry or Prestonsburg. Allen Central was good last year, but they fired their coach for what reason? Yeah, we know the reason. Confusedhh:
I know Austin very well. I know his mother, father, and even his sister. You are right that he throws very hard, but bc you throw hard doesn't make you dominant. I like him and think he is a good kid. Very quiet and polite boy and I hope I'm wrong and your right because he is such a good kid. IMO however he is not dominant and the reason being it's to easy to rattle him and get in his head. 1-2 bad pitches could cost him a ball game where it didn't Wallen. As was said before I guess we will see shortly.
Completely Neutral Wrote:I know Austin very well. I know his mother, father, and even his sister. You are right that he throws very hard, but bc you throw hard doesn't make you dominant. I like him and think he is a good kid. Very quiet and polite boy and I hope I'm wrong and your right because he is such a good kid. IMO however he is not dominant and the reason being it's to easy to rattle him and get in his head. 1-2 bad pitches could cost him a ball game where it didn't Wallen. As was said before I guess we will see shortly.

Wallen as a senior, yes. Wallen as a Junior, not so much. That's what I'm saying. His stats from his freshman and sophomore years were better than Wallen's at that same time. Bailey can be dominant. Will he? Don't know. But he has all the tools to be that #1. And for those who think LC is low on pitching, well I wouldn't be saying that. They have some pretty dang good arms that didn't need to pitch a lot last year because of Wallen, Cavins, and Bailey. The only thing is that they are unproven, but logged a lot of innings this summer. Look for Keesee, Turner, Coverdale (all juniors) to get a lot of innings. Salyers and Cantrell (seniors) also will get a lot of innings. People forget that Cantrell was invited to the sophomore showcase 2 seasons ago. He had a very solid sophomore season. He has bounced back from his rehab and will be a big addition to this year's staff and lineup every day.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Wallen as a senior, yes. Wallen as a Junior, not so much. That's what I'm saying. His stats from his freshman and sophomore years were better than Wallen's at that same time. Bailey can be dominant. Will he? Don't know. But he has all the tools to be that #1. And for those who think LC is low on pitching, well I wouldn't be saying that. They have some pretty dang good arms that didn't need to pitch a lot last year because of Wallen, Cavins, and Bailey. The only thing is that they are unproven, but logged a lot of innings this summer. Look for Keesee, Turner, Coverdale (all juniors) to get a lot of innings. Salyers and Cantrell (seniors) also will get a lot of innings. People forget that Cantrell was invited to the sophomore showcase 2 seasons ago. He had a very solid sophomore season. He has bounced back from his rehab and will be a big addition to this year's staff and lineup every day.

Say what???
Keesee was an excellent pitcher in little league, pitched very well on the jv team as a 7th grader they moved to the varsity after 4 or 5 games his 8th grade year played a couple of games at second and has been the short stop ever since. He pitched a couple of innings last year against cabell midland and pitched very well. With all the depth lc as this year they will be able to move turner to short, put cyrus at 2nd when keesee is on the mound. If lc can stay healthy they are going to be very tuff. I don't know if any of them where healthy from the middle of the season on.