Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final 4
Alabama vs The Ohio State Florida St vs Oregon!! 2 good matchups. Anyone shocked OSU jumped TCU and Baylor?
Best four teams made it, well except maybe Fla. St.
Justice was served with Ohio State making it.
Like to see Bama- Ducks in the final but Florida St. knows how to win and OSU might be able to challenge Bama.
Eight teams would be absolutely awesome. Some people say you'd always have teams saying they got cheated no matter how many teams you put in but I don't believe that's true. With 8 teams every team that had a slimmer of hope would have gotten in. Out of the four that did get in I think it was the right call. I just hope Bama bears Ohio State by 60.
I think they got it right. I don't know how you can punish Florida State.....the defending national champions for winning. They are not the same team as last year. Had to replace seven starters on defense. They haven't won pretty and they had the target on their back every game. But they win. Good to see WKU in a bowl game too!
I love it, but it would of been interesting to see what they would of done with Florida State had they loss to Georgia Tech.
^
They wouldn't have made it and Baylor would have been in.

I was really hoping bama would get to play Florida State first. That would have been disgusting.
They say they can't extend it from 4 until like 2018 or something like that. My prediction is (and I been sayin it for years) is that the sponsors who wanted their bowls and not a playoff will make more money from a playoff then they ever did from a bowl game and they will find a way to extend it sooner then they say if they have to pull something out their ass!
I think the top 8 would be perfect because it gives every top conference a chance to get a team in and leaves a few spots for the surprise teams, but I would be ok with just the top 6. Even with just 4 I will feel better about saying that the team who makes it was the best team and proved it out on the field and it is better then the old system could ever be. If they do extend it then I will be done with the NFL forever. College football IMO is more exciting, more pure and you still have rivalries and team pride and loyalty. Just imagine a year when you get a big rivalrie in the playoffs or even better in the championship game like say an Ohio St-v-Michigan game or a Usc-v-ND game............that would be huge!
I agree that a 4 team playoff is better that nothing but I knew when they started this thing that there would be a lot of controversy. It doesnt take Einstein to figure out that with 5 power conferences and only 4 slots, some people were going to be mad. They had been doing a pretty good job of getting the 2 best teams in the championship game the last few years and I think this year would have probably been the same. We are all looking forward to a Bama/Oregon game although I dont know how that they would have handled it with a still undefeated Fla St team remaining this year.

If there were more teams this year, there are some that I wouldnt want to play right now like a Stanford for instance. They were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season. And if u took more than 16 teams, someone like Arkansas would be a tough out. They steadily improved throughout the year....ask Alabama! The problem with going to 16 or more teams is that the bowls games would be rendered basically irrelevant and the bowl people are not going to see that happen if they can stop it. Big Bowls=Big Bucks!!!
The problem with a playoff longer than 2 rounds is the implications it puts on student athletes. The time the kids are missing from a classroom for this is ridiculous, and when you take an extra two weeks away it puts a lot of strain on university presidents. What really comes first...Athletics or Academics? Unless you adapt the 1AA system, you won't see an expanded playoffs. They finish the regular season about a week or so before the BCS championship aired. They started, I believe last week.
Real Badman Wrote:The problem with a playoff longer than 2 rounds is the implications it puts on student athletes. The time the kids are missing from a classroom for this is ridiculous, and when you take an extra two weeks away it puts a lot of strain on university presidents. What really comes first...Athletics or Academics? Unless you adapt the 1AA system, you won't see an expanded playoffs. They finish the regular season about a week or so before the BCS championship aired. They started, I believe last week.

"Ok" ,but isn't the college basketball season longer then the football season, especially if you make a long run in the tournament?
Do-double-gg Wrote:"Ok" ,but isn't the college basketball season longer then the football season, especially if you make a long run in the tournament?

Probably. But when it breaks CNN or some news outlet that isn't ESPN, you'll see every pro education advocate speak out against extending it. Entertaining, IMO, yes.
8 team playoff would be the best but college football lives off of contriversy and with 4 it makes everyone talk about who got in and who got left out. When the powers that be see how much $$$$$ these games are going to make, it won't take long for expansion.