Craycraft T, DT
Ailster TE, DE
Potter WR, C
E. Skaggs RB/WR, C
Hamm WR, S
E. Coldiron G, DT/DE
M. Skaggs T
Coldiron K

Alot returning, Should be a good year for GC. Also hearing that a few of the sophomore class that didnt play this season are coming back out. Jackson RB/LB, Bowe TE/DE , and Keeton QB.
If that is Jarrel Jackson he should be a nice addition to the backfield. I wonder if you all could get Jhair Jackson out as well. I think he is just a Jr. could be a great addition to the passing game. Greenups defense did well more than enough to put them in position to win games. But their offense was completely unproductive for the most part. If the offense gets some consistency, Greenup will be a tough out.
Jair is a senior.
okay then that theory was put to rest lol
Big gains going on in the weight room. This core group of sophs and jrs are working their tails off.
I would like to see Greenup County make the district at least a three team race.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Thats a distinct possibility next season. They should have beat Ashland last year. 3 fumbles in the second half killed them. GC lead the whole game untile the 4th. Held Baker to 70yrds. Should be interesting in 2015.
I said all season long if Greenup had an offense, they could be scary. Even against JC they did a great job defensively. They held every team below their a erage in points and yardage. But their defense couldnt get off the field. If they get an offense going, they will compete with anyone.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I said all season long if Greenup had an offense, they could be scary. Even against JC they did a great job defensively. They held every team below their a erage in points and yardage. But their defense couldnt get off the field. If they get an offense going, they will compete with anyone.

With all due respect, JC fumbled twice going in for scores into the endzone and another in the red zone. Probably as loose as they were with the ball all year.
Glad to see Bowe coming back out. From what I remember he was pretty decent. I like Hunt as QB.
Lynch47 Wrote:With all due respect, JC fumbled twice going in for scores into the endzone and another in the red zone. Probably as loose as they were with the ball all year.
GC fumbled first two possessions of the second half giving jc the ball in the redzone both times.
Turnovers are all part of a game. Raceland, on mulitiple occassions, in back to back years, turned the ball over a total of 7 times one season ( resulting in 4 TDs) and Raceland went on to lose by 4 TDs, same thig happened the following year when they beat us by 5 scores, all were results of turnovers in our own territory. High school kids make mistakes. If Greenup can get a consistent form of offense, they will be able to compete. They would have beaten Ashland and Russell both, had they been able to convert in the redzone. You have to credit the opposing defenses but at the same time, their offense was hit and miss all year.
And their defense did more than enough to keep them in the game against Raceland. The offense just wasnt their. Lacking the atheletes at WR kept them from keeping teams honest.
I almost think an I would be good with the Byrd kid back there.
Not much difference in the I and the wishbone they currently run.
True. If they ran out of an I there are a few more formations to spread the field out. Unless you have a big strong line its hard to due more that FB at 21, Blasts, or Smashes from the Bone. Especially when alot of teams DL are quicker than your OL. I think they be better suited spreading the field out and gettig some more space.
Kids are working hard in the weight room, and seeing huge gains as a result. Still averaging 55 to 60 kids.
Is GC the only n.e.k. school doing spring ball?
Coupon21 Wrote:Is GC the only n.e.k. school doing spring ball?

Spring practice is overrated , a lot of kids play multiple sports and can't participate unless you have a bunch of just football players it's a waste of time
Coupon21 Wrote:Not much difference in the I and the wishbone they currently run.

They get I-like when they break the bone and have 3 immediate WR threats. Makes people play cov. 3 which is what you see a good amount of teams play against most everything out there, or at least some kind of 3 deep shell. Could be plain ole Cov. 3, Man Free or some even pattern read out of 3 deep looks...either way, you get an 8 man look up front.

I think their offense is what's helped them become respectable again.

I'm not sure what their passing game is like, but it can be lethal out of that stuff if you have a respectable running game and average QB.

Passing games out of the bone/broken bone are a thing of beauty if people do them. Anybody ever seen wishbone teams that l like to screen people to death? Talk about fun and something you rarely see these days.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Spring practice is overrated , a lot of kids play multiple sports and can't participate unless you have a bunch of just football players it's a waste of time

I understand where you are coming from. It can be if the above is true.

I know some places where the bulk of their skill kids are doing just that, so the coaches have more or less made it a 3 week linemen camp. Now, that can be fun and beneficial. How many times out of the year are those guys the absolute main focus? Good stuff for sure.
Greenup has close to 40 kids out for spring. All of the skill kids minus the qb have decided to play football only. So i think it is in no way overated to get 3 extra weeks in. Also alot of new kids that want to try things out before they decide to play during the season.
Coupon21 Wrote:Greenup has close to 40 kids out for spring. All of the skill kids minus the qb have decided to play football only. So i think it is in no way overated to get 3 extra weeks in. Also alot of new kids that want to try things out before they decide to play during the season.
I have to agree here. Sure a lot of kids are doing track and baseball but hey...if the KHSAA is gonna give you free weeks I say use them. You can also make it a good moral boosting event so I see no harm in it.
I would like to see GC become a consistent contender and a winning program. I think Coach Mullins should be commended. He has stuck with the program and more importantly, the school has allowed him the chance to build a program. I can see them making big strides over the next few years but their District will be tough to win with Ashland & JC.
EsseQuamVideri Wrote:I would like to see GC become a consistent contender and a winning program. I think Coach Mullins should be commended. He has stuck with the program and more importantly, the school has allowed him the chance to build a program. I can see them making big strides over the next few years but their District will be tough to win with Ashland & JC.

Agree 100%. He has done a great job. Especially the defensive side of the ball. Last year they made great strides in that regaurd. I think too often coaches arent given enough time to develop a system, staff, and way of doing things. Imo, they should keep Mullins around for awhile. He cares alot about the kids and the program/school in general. While district championships are goina be hard to come by, i think GC will get back to winning records over the next few years. Though with their district schedule, plus Raceland and Russell, I expect 5-5/6-4 seasons with what the Rams, Devils, Eagles, and Tomcsts have been doing the last few years, especially in the feeder systems.
I hope GC continues to develop and get better. it would be nice for all the area teams to be good. No one benefits from easy wins. Now we just have to get Boyd County headed in the right direction...lol
mightydog Wrote:I hope GC continues to develop and get better. it would be nice for all the area teams to be good. No one benefits from easy wins. Now we just have to get Boyd County headed in the right direction...lol

Boyd has had some nice atheletes over the last few years, some good size on the line as well. But their line for the most part hasnt been very strong given their size and has also been slow. The game is much faster now and it takes alot more the days of "laying or leaning" on people are long gone.
GC spring game went well last night. Both teams looked good. Alot of new kids got to play quite a bit. GC should have alot of weapons this season. Bryd, Wright, Warnock, Jackson, Skaggs, Clark, all looked good running the ball last night.
Greenup is getting back on their feet. Boyd saw the return of Baker back to to Ashland. Also lost the Goble kids to Ashland (via Fairview) and if you go a lil further lost Lance Evans to Russell. Greenup has lost several kids to area schools and has now slowed that down with no longer letting kids just waltz out of the district. Their past records haven't really defined who they are or what they could be.
always said if greenup could keep their local kids out of racelands hallways they would do fine. raceland has recruited kids from greenup for years now?