Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2015
samson81 Wrote:Conservative play calling the last several years was frustrating to watch. The talent level definitely came down some, but not so much that they couldn't win more than 7 games a year. If you're going to run the wing-t today, you've got to open up the whole playbook. Scott Co. won the 6A title in 2013 running the wing-t (I know the talent level isn't comparable, but still).

Most years Russell isn't hurting for athletes across the board in all sports. This offense going forward, takes better advantage of what the Russell/Flatwoods community has to offer, IMO.

Thats what that kind of offense is designed for. One would think to run the spread, you need very tallented skill guys and big/fast lineman. But it really does a good job at allowing you to use what you have. A Wing T is all set up for hitting a seem or crease in a split second and taking off out of that. Youneed quick and agile lineman, something Russell hasnt had in the last few years. Their entire offensive personel has been really suited well for the Spread. I think Russell has finally found the breath of fresh air that so many were working for. Maynard and his offensive strategy will make thebest out of what Russell/Flatwoods has to offer year in and year out, I think its a combonation of what Maynard brings to the table as a coach, combined with some of the kids in the system blooming late, has brightened what so many were calling "dark years" for Russell. You got a good history in your program if a few .650-.700 years are causig and uproar! Good luck to the devils next year
Merry Christmas to all.
Happy new year.
Saw players at the gym today. Said weightlifting starts after Christmas break. One said Ison has had or is having surgery on his nasal passage. Nothing to be concerned about. Good to see some back in the gym on their own getting ready for next year.
Rumor on the streets are that the Devils will be sporting new uniforms next season. Not that it's impressive news but leaving Russell Athletics to the new Adidas style will be a change.
They are getting new uniforms. Will Russell have a spring game? If so, does anyone know the date?
I haven't heard of anything. I hear a few things in the gym and they have a weight lifting meet soon but not sure how we will do.
Is Sammy Smith out for the season? He's not listed on the roster filed with the khsaa.

olid black 1px;">72Alex AdamsOff: OL, Def: DLJr.olid black 1px;">1Evan IsonOff: RB, Def: LBJr.
olid black 1px;">19Grant BatesOff: RB, Def: LBSo.olid black 1px;">20Jaeden LayneOff: WR, Def: DBSo.
olid black 1px;">38Maxx BlackburnOff: RB, Def: LBJr.olid black 1px;">3Jacob McKeeOff: QB, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;"> Jaden Blevins So.olid black 1px;">79Daniel MellOff: OL, Def: DESr.
olid black 1px;"> Drey Boehm Jr.olid black 1px;">6Kurtis MillerOff: KSr.
olid black 1px;">54CJ BradenburgOff: OL, Def: DESr.olid black 1px;">77Jacob PierceOff: OL, Def: DEJr.
olid black 1px;">18Landon BrewerOff: WR, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">7Keelan RiceOff: WR, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;">37Austin BrinkmanOff: WR, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">15Jake RiffeOff: QB, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;">30Nathan BrinkmanOff: WR, Def: DBSo.olid black 1px;">17Austin SmithOff: QB, Def: DBSo.
olid black 1px;">54Tucker BrownOff: OL, Def: LBSo.olid black 1px;">65Jensen SmithOff: OL, Def: DLJr.
olid black 1px;">61Drew BultynckOff: OL, Def: LBSr.olid black 1px;">51Jonah SmittleOff: OL, Def: LBSr.
olid black 1px;"> Tanner Burgess Jr.olid black 1px;">57Dylan SpeaksOff: OL, Def: DLSr.
olid black 1px;">10Spencer ColeOff: RB, Def: DBSr.olid black 1px;">42Ryan StumpOff: WR, Def: LBSo.
olid black 1px;">4Nick ConleyOff: RB, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">71Blake ThompsonOff: OL, Def: LBJr.
olid black 1px;">2Matt CoxOff: WR, Def: DBSr.olid black 1px;">14Chaz WhittOff: QB, Def: DESo.
olid black 1px;">73Luke ErwinOff: OL, Def: DLSr.olid black 1px;">8Grant Wilburn Fr.
olid black 1px;">66Aaron HillOff: OL, Def: DESo.olid black 1px;">76Alex WooleyOff: OL, Def: DEJr.
olid black 1px;">21Jacob HowardOff: WR, Def: DBSr.
That's an incomplete roster. Several other names are missing as well. Montanez, Redden, Slone and some others are not listed. I heard 80+ players came out for the team this year. Could be the biggest roster Russell has had in a long time.
samson81 Wrote:That's an incomplete roster. Several other names are missing as well. Montanez, Redden, Slone and some others are not listed. I heard 80+ players came out for the team this year. Could be the biggest roster Russell has had in a long time.
I thought it was incomplete. I guess we'll have to wait for the ADI preview to get the full roster.
I sure hope Sammy's going to be able to play this year. Having him anchor the interior D-line would be huge for this team.
Im pretty sure Smith has left the team. I believe he got injured again.
mightydog Wrote:Im pretty sure Smith has left the team. I believe he got injured again.

Man thats gotta be a big blow. Not just for the team but the kid. To have so much promise and natural intangibles that cant be taught, only to be knocked down by injury again. Hate to hear that.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Rumor on the streets are that the Devils will be sporting new uniforms next season. Not that it's impressive news but leaving Russell Athletics to the new Adidas style will be a change.

would be awesome for them to have helmet logos like the one you have on your profile pic. Arizona State pitchfork logo. That would be pretty sweet.
0ff The Chain Wrote:would be awesome for them to have helmet logos like the one you have on your profile pic. Arizona State pitchfork logo. That would be pretty sweet.

They do in fact have a pitch fork on their helmet. Yes I believe after Sammy got hurt this past time he was just like "I'm done". He has had several injuries and it was to the point of how is this going to effect me when I'm in my 40's. We may have lost one of the better linemen we had it also has allowed the Detroit Michigan transfer a chance to play. He will fill in nicely in that vacant spot. Best wishes to the smith boy though.
0ff The Chain Wrote:would be awesome for them to have helmet logos like the one you have on your profile pic. Arizona State pitchfork logo. That would be pretty sweet.
Russell had the pitchfork decal on their helmets last year. I think this year the jersey's and pants are being updated. Not sure if they're changing the helmets again.
You just beat me to it, DevilWatcher. Do you know if they're altering the helmets again?
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Is Sammy Smith out for the season? He's not listed on the roster filed with the khsaa.

olid black 1px;">72Alex AdamsOff: OL, Def: DLJr.olid black 1px;">1Evan IsonOff: RB, Def: LBJr.
olid black 1px;">19Grant BatesOff: RB, Def: LBSo.olid black 1px;">20Jaeden LayneOff: WR, Def: DBSo.
olid black 1px;">38Maxx BlackburnOff: RB, Def: LBJr.olid black 1px;">3Jacob McKeeOff: QB, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;"> Jaden Blevins So.olid black 1px;">79Daniel MellOff: OL, Def: DESr.
olid black 1px;"> Drey Boehm Jr.olid black 1px;">6Kurtis MillerOff: KSr.
olid black 1px;">54CJ BradenburgOff: OL, Def: DESr.olid black 1px;">77Jacob PierceOff: OL, Def: DEJr.
olid black 1px;">18Landon BrewerOff: WR, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">7Keelan RiceOff: WR, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;">37Austin BrinkmanOff: WR, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">15Jake RiffeOff: QB, Def: DBSr.
olid black 1px;">30Nathan BrinkmanOff: WR, Def: DBSo.olid black 1px;">17Austin SmithOff: QB, Def: DBSo.
olid black 1px;">54Tucker BrownOff: OL, Def: LBSo.olid black 1px;">65Jensen SmithOff: OL, Def: DLJr.
olid black 1px;">61Drew BultynckOff: OL, Def: LBSr.olid black 1px;">51Jonah SmittleOff: OL, Def: LBSr.
olid black 1px;"> Tanner Burgess Jr.olid black 1px;">57Dylan SpeaksOff: OL, Def: DLSr.
olid black 1px;">10Spencer ColeOff: RB, Def: DBSr.olid black 1px;">42Ryan StumpOff: WR, Def: LBSo.
olid black 1px;">4Nick ConleyOff: RB, Def: DBJr.olid black 1px;">71Blake ThompsonOff: OL, Def: LBJr.
olid black 1px;">2Matt CoxOff: WR, Def: DBSr.olid black 1px;">14Chaz WhittOff: QB, Def: DESo.
olid black 1px;">73Luke ErwinOff: OL, Def: DLSr.olid black 1px;">8Grant Wilburn Fr.
olid black 1px;">66Aaron HillOff: OL, Def: DESo.olid black 1px;">76Alex WooleyOff: OL, Def: DEJr.
olid black 1px;">21Jacob HowardOff: WR, Def: DBSr.
List looks incomplete though. Several names not on there...Redden,Pennington,Slone,McKenzie....etc
The roster looks more complete now.

khsaa.org has 82 players grades 9-12 listed now at http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=46454

I was going to post the updated roster but now it has too many characters to post it.
Russell is set to scrimmage @ Mason County on August 11th at 6:30 pm
It's a shame that Smith is done playing due to injuries. He would have helped tremendously. Russell will still field a very competitive team. Ironton, Ashland, and Raceland will be must see games. I wouldn't sleep on Greenup in the opener, either, as the Musketeers are headed in the right direction. Their district games are weak this year, but Lawrence and Belfry in the playoffs will be something to look forward to.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:The roster looks more complete now.

khsaa.org has 82 players grades 9-12 listed now at http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=46454

I was going to post the updated roster but now it has too many characters to post it.

28 freshman listed on the roster. That's a huge class. Combined, there's 48 kids in the freshman and sophomore classes. That bodes well for the future.

As for this season, losing Sammy stings a bit. However, I think there's plenty of depth to offset that loss. As they say.... Next man up! I really like the pieces in place on this team. I don't see any reason why Nick Conley shouldn't be a beast this year. I think his production may have been stunted a bit last season by the change in offense. He's got the potential to put up Kasey Clark/Josh Gross type numbers over the next two years. I know that's saying a lot, but I truly believe it. He's got that type of ability.

I'm not sure how the carries will be distributed, but I'm pretty high on the potential of this year's backfield. Joining McKee and Conley is a nice mixture of speed and toughness. Cole, Blackburn, Ison, & Coburn should round out a versatile group.

McKee should have a good group of receivers to throw to. Among them are seniors Howard & Martin, juniors Brewer, Brinkman, & Caldwell, and sophomores Stump & Layne. I'm anxious to see what Caldwell brings to the team. This team is pretty deep at WR.

If the O-line comes together, this could be a great, versatile offense.
I see Conley progressing as a Gross/Clark hybrid. Gross had ankle breaking cuts while Clark was a north-south run you over type. Conley has both of those tendencies. Mckee started his JFL years as a RB and transitioned into a QB which is why he runs so well. It's just 2nd nature to him. I won't say our line will be better than last year but they should be overall stronger. Basically the same kids with another yeR in the gym under their belt.
you guys lost 4 starting lineman from last year but I believe the guys this year coming back can step in and do a good job but that last year bunch was pretty thick and over power a lot of teams with there strength but I can see a undefeated regularseason you guys will walk thru the district(weak) I hope you guys play belfry at Russell I would like to see belfry in person I have heard a lot about them do you know if they come to Russell this year
kyfootball2014, if you look back at GOREDDEVILS post you can see their schedule. Hope that helps.
If Russell and Belfry both advance to the region final this year, I think Belfry comes to Russell.
thanks but I should have made myself more clear I meant during the playoffs I know the khsaa did a bunch of realignments I think Russell went there last year just wondering if belfry comes to Russell this year if they make it that far but I am sure they both will
thanks Samson81
samson81 Wrote:If Russell and Belfry both advance to the region final this year, I think Belfry comes to Russell.

Correct...but important to not think about "Last year so and so traveled" with the new alignment for everyone.

With the new alignment both teams are in Region 3, Russell is District 5 and Belfry is District 6.

Odd years..odd hosts

So if Russell wins the District they secure home field advantage until they lose.

Belfry would come to Russell if both were 1 seeds. Regardless who in the Region, they host the Semi-Finals..even if it is a 4 seed....if you reach the Semi's and win Region 3 you host the Semi's.

Next year will be an even year so even hosts. Belfry would host the Regional Finals, but the Region 4 winner will host the Semi's regardless.
kyfootball2014 Wrote:thanks but I should have made myself more clear I meant during the playoffs I know the khsaa did a bunch of realignments I think Russell went there last year just wondering if belfry comes to Russell this year if they make it that far but I am sure they both will

See above post by me..

Now that realignment has happened last year is history...but because it is an odd year if both were #1 seeds Russell would host the Regional Finals.