Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential matchups for Sting at WrestleMania XXXI
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sting will be the Main Event at WM 31.... The WWE has some good talent on the roster that can make WM a pretty good event. But if Vince doesn't book Sting in a match (that doesn't end with him winning Clean) at WM 31, it will be a bigger blunder and waste than never having Hogan vs. Flair on a PPV.

Sting vs. Triple H: Based on Survivor Series, this could be the most likely.

Sting vs. Brock Lesnar: I could see Sting with the WWE title. It would be a good way for Brock to drop the title if he wants to get back in the mma circuit.

Sting vs. The Rock: This could be bigger than Hogan vs. Andre at WM III. But I don't see The Rock joining up with the Authority nor do I see Sting joining the Authority. With the Survivor Series ending, I don't see any way that Sting doesn't face somebody from the Authority.

Sting vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin: If Austin wants one more match... this could be it. But again, I don't see Austin joining the Authority after the major push he got in the late 90's against 'authority'.

Sting vs. The Undetakter: This is a dream match. Maybe not for the pre-teens-teenage kids.... but for us in the 30's-40's age range, this is a match that I have wanted to see for years. Too bad it couldn't have happened when the Taker was in his first Deadman character and Sting was still dropping from the rafters....

I do not see Vince having Sting loose at WM to get somebody over or to build up a future storyline.

And yes, I realize that the story line doesn't have to be Sting vs. somebody from the Authority.... but why else would Sting make his WWE debut to only end the reign of the Authority like he did if not to build up to something at WM. I do think Sting makes the HOF this year as well.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Sting vs. Triple H is the most likely. Unless something changes I look for Lesnar to defend his title against Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania
Sting vs Shawn Michaels.
Loser has to have their head shaved so they can't wear the comb over or slick it back to cover their bald head.

Sting vs Hulk Hogan
In a loser and winner must retire match because they are both over the hill.
Strikeout King Wrote:Sting vs. Triple H is the most likely. Unless something changes I look for Lesnar to defend his title against Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania

Regins would be a good champ.
Westside Wrote:Sting vs Shawn Michaels.
Loser has to have their head shaved so they can't wear the comb over or slick it back to cover their bald head.

Sting vs Hulk Hogan
In a loser and winner must retire match because they are both over the hill.

Did you watch Survivor Series???

Sting got a MAJOR pop when came out...... he might be old, but he's far from being over the hill.
I would love to see Sting be a surprise entry in the royal rumble and win it.....and go on to face Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania and win the title......and if he is ready to retire...come out the next night and retire the belt or have rollins cash in his money in the bank.
Pulp,

Ive never watched a payperview in my life. Ive seen a couple events on closed circuit. You're right. He may not be over the hill, but a big pop doesn't mean you're not over the hill. Hogan gets a big pop and he's over the hill.
Sting vs. The Undertaker would have been really unique, maybe down the road it could happen.

But I'm fine with Sting vs. Triple H if it happens.
Wow all of the possibilities. What we'd all pay to see Sting vs. The Rock.. my goodness
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sting will be the Main Event at WM 31.... The WWE has some good talent on the roster that can make WM a pretty good event. But if Vince doesn't book Sting in a match (that doesn't end with him winning Clean) at WM 31, it will be a bigger blunder and waste than never having Hogan vs. Flair on a PPV.

Sting vs. Triple H: Based on Survivor Series, this could be the most likely.

Sting vs. Brock Lesnar: I could see Sting with the WWE title. It would be a good way for Brock to drop the title if he wants to get back in the mma circuit.

Sting vs. The Rock: This could be bigger than Hogan vs. Andre at WM III. But I don't see The Rock joining up with the Authority nor do I see Sting joining the Authority. With the Survivor Series ending, I don't see any way that Sting doesn't face somebody from the Authority.

Sting vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin: If Austin wants one more match... this could be it. But again, I don't see Austin joining the Authority after the major push he got in the late 90's against 'authority'.

Sting vs. The Undetakter: This is a dream match. Maybe not for the pre-teens-teenage kids.... but for us in the 30's-40's age range, this is a match that I have wanted to see for years. Too bad it couldn't have happened when the Taker was in his first Deadman character and Sting was still dropping from the rafters....

I do not see Vince having Sting loose at WM to get somebody over or to build up a future storyline.

And yes, I realize that the story line doesn't have to be Sting vs. somebody from the Authority.... but why else would Sting make his WWE debut to only end the reign of the Authority like he did if not to build up to something at WM. I do think Sting makes the HOF this year as well.

Umm, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Sting Main Event's Wrestlemania - NONE! Let me repeat - ZERO!
Stardust Wrote:Umm, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Sting Main Event's Wrestlemania - NONE! Let me repeat - ZERO!

:okay:

I still say he has a marquee match at WM 31
Zero

That under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is Vince McMahon's way. NO CHANCE IN HELL he would ever do something like that. Sting is NOT his product. He did not create Sting, nor would he ever elevate him to the point of headlining the WWE's biggest show. NO WAY!
If he isn't the main event.....he will be the co-main event behind the WWE title match.

He would be dumb not to.....Even if Sting isn't his product there is money to be made.

Ric Flair isn't his product either but I do recall a few years ago he was the co main event with Shawn Michaels.....so to me Vince would be stupid not to put Sting in the main event or co main event of WrestleMania.
ZERO CHANCE he is in the Main Event.
Vince NEVER gave a single guy from WCW a legit shot after the merger.

As big as Booker T and Goldberg were at the time... Vince never put the WWE belt on them. Only World Heavyweight Championship.

I don't know if he would keep Sting from headlining Mania, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the middle of the card.
There is definitely money to be made with Sting and Vince knows that...
but Vince also knows that if he minimizes the use of WCW talent that he himself is more profitable.
I want to see Sting in an actual match at WM 31.... no matter if he is the Curtain Jerker or the Main Event.

Not as a 'run-in' to help somebody out like he did at Survivor Series or as a 'special enforcer' or something like that.
When it was first rumored that Sting was going to make a surprise showing during the Main Event, it was inevitable that Sting/HHH match-up would find it's way on the card. I really don't care for these "Legends" matches. HHH still looks good, but how can you expect the fans that don't even know who Sting is, get into a husky, balding nobody in their eyes. The 12-22 year-old male has no idea who he is, and demographics has only shown a 10% crossover of those who watch WWE to have watched TNA. So, he is unknown to the core audience that WWE caters to. For those of us who remember the Mega-Star from the early 90's who battled Ric Flair and teamed with Lex Luger, we remember the Powerhouse multi-color face paint breakout star. For those in their 30's, they remember the 1996 and how Sting turned into the Crow until WWE bout out WCW in 2000, and WCW completely ruined any kind of good run by their horrible booking. The TNA Sting was nothing compared to what he used to be.

Now at 55 years old, I just don't see anything promising, nor will Vince McMahon. He no longer is a wrestler, but is limited physically to brawling and Splashing into a corner. I expect to see the Sting DVD set come out around Wrestlemania, and a matchup with HHH to help sell him to the WWE fans who don't know him. Who knows, they might even induct him into the HOF instead.
Stardust Wrote:When it was first rumored that Sting was going to make a surprise showing during the Main Event, it was inevitable that Sting/HHH match-up would find it's way on the card. I really don't care for these "Legends" matches. HHH still looks good, but how can you expect the fans that don't even know who Sting is, get into a husky, balding nobody in their eyes. The 12-22 year-old male has no idea who he is, and demographics has only shown a 10% crossover of those who watch WWE to have watched TNA. So, he is unknown to the core audience that WWE caters to. For those of us who remember the Mega-Star from the early 90's who battled Ric Flair and teamed with Lex Luger, we remember the Powerhouse multi-color face paint breakout star. For those in their 30's, they remember the 1996 and how Sting turned into the Crow until WWE bout out WCW in 2000, and WCW completely ruined any kind of good run by their horrible booking. The TNA Sting was nothing compared to what he used to be.

Now at 55 years old, I just don't see anything promising, nor will Vince McMahon. He no longer is a wrestler, but is limited physically to brawling and Splashing into a corner. I expect to see the Sting DVD set come out around Wrestlemania, and a matchup with HHH to help sell him to the WWE fans who don't know him. Who knows, they might even induct him into the HOF instead.

Disagree. I'm 20 and have very fond memories of watching Sting compete in the WCW and know many others my age that loved Sting growing up and while I haven't been a big follower of the WWE for a few years I am VERY intrigued that he made another appearance in professional wrestling. Why not include him in one of the Main Events at WrestleMania?
After last night's Monday Night Raw.... I think that was Sting's first ever appearance on Raw. It was great. Brief, but great. I wish they wouldn't have shown his face on the TitanTron first and just let his new music hit. I was hoping for either Sting or Stone Cold to help Cena.

I'm still saying Triple H vs. Sting at WrestleMania 31.

In the Triple Threat title match at the Royal Rumble, Cena will pin Lesnar... Rollins will cash in his MITB case. Cena will get beat down by the Authority and the security team. Sting will come out, clean house..... Sting will put Cena on top of Rollins and Triple H will go insane.

Not sure who will win the Rumble.... I don't see a Reigns vs. Cena match at WM 31.
I could see a Rollins vs. Reigns or a Lesnar vs. Reigns with Reigns winning over both.
No way Vince turns Reigns in to a 'heel'. He is a great "non-hero" Hero.

Does The Undertaker make a showing at the Rumble? If so, who does he face at WM 31.
LClion4life Wrote:Disagree. I'm 20 and have very fond memories of watching Sting compete in the WCW and know many others my age that loved Sting growing up and while I haven't been a big follower of the WWE for a few years I am VERY intrigued that he made another appearance in professional wrestling. Why not include him in one of the Main Events at WrestleMania?

If you are 20, then you were 5 when you saw Sting in WCW. Sting was a non-factor in his last five years in WCW. Bash at the Beach was in 1996, and that is the last match that we saw Sting before the Crow charecter, that was before you were even born. He did not wrestle for a year after that, setting up the monumental FLOP match with Hogan. From that point on, Sting was an after thought with very few matches before WWE purchased WCW in 2001. You may remember Sting in WCW, but that Sting was an after thought and a true non-factor in the ridiculous NWO Wolfpack.