Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eating Disorders....
We talked about this today in English. Is an eating disorder a problem with the mind or the person? Basically, we argued about whether it was something the person could choose to do or not. Most of the class argued that it was the person's own stupid fault for being anorexic, but me and the teacher kept trying to show them how anorexia is a problem that some are are susceptable to, whether it be because of family problems or how society has shaped them. By the end of class most still argued that anorexia is a choice the person makes, but what do you think?
I don't think a person has to try to be anorexic to actually be anorexic. I think somethimes it has to do with the background that they were raised in and what not. Family health issues I think are a large part of why some people are anorexic. But that's just my opinion.
blackcatfan4life Wrote:I don't think a person has to try to be anorexic to actually be anorexic. I think somethimes it has to do with the background that they were raised in and what not. Family health issues I think are a large part of why some people are anorexic. But that's just my opinion.
I agree with that
I agree too, but most of the class was saying it was the person's fault for being stupid and becoming anorexic.
Anorexia is a psychological disorder. A person does not choose this. It is something they do ...in most cases to have control.

A person with anorexia fears gaining weight. They tend to have body image problems and most likely family problems. They tend to be perfectionists and have low self-esteem.

The image that the media portrays for women does not make it any easier on a person who already has body image distortion.

A person is not stupid for being anorexic. It is almost beyond their control. It's not something they can switch on or off. There are so many things that factor in to a person being anorexic.
I agree, I was just wondering if anyone else felt the way the rest of the class did, because it really got me mad.
I've only known of one person who "chose" to be anorexic...and she gave it up in like a week. :roll: It IS a psychological disorder.
A eating disorder is both mental and physical. The body rejects food due to the fact that it isnt getting any. But then your mind is telling your body that it doesnt need it. In this case, the body is using its fatty tissues to provide energy for the body to function properly. Eventually, a body will shut down.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Anorexia is a psychological disorder. A person does not choose this. It is something they do ...in most cases to have control.

A person with anorexia fears gaining weight. They tend to have body image problems and most likely family problems. They tend to be perfectionists and have low self-esteem.

The image that the media portrays for women does not make it any easier on a person who already has body image distortion.

A person is not stupid for being anorexic. It is almost beyond their control. It's not something they can switch on or off. There are so many things that factor in to a person being anorexic.

Great analysis.....