Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Laurel @ Whitley County Playoffs-First Round 11/7
Airing out against the Jags will be dangerous.
Putting a lot of pressure on Luke. Such a good kid, I hope his dad remembers his days of playing its a team thing no a player thing. That could get him hurt.����������������
No dog in the fight, either. Just looking at schedules and jawing, which is what this is for. I just think there's not a big difference in the schedules. The Harris factor really makes a difference in the Southern games. Where the games were played is also a huge factor. North is the favorite, and I really respect the outstanding job Coach Larkey and his staff have done with the program. You also have to pat Coach Chappell on the back for his great first season, and he will have the Colonels ready to play. Again, best game on the schedule for our area, and will be a war. North the favorite, Whitley home field. Kick it off and play!
Coach Black is back in blue and green to show what he does best with a great bunch of players, coaches and fans. Win big the way he likes it. We have welcome him to the Jungle and we will never let him go. Thank u Colonels for an awesome man.��������������������
They better keep that ball out of the air or it will be interception heaven out there for Jags.
Clean slate for all but I believe Jags has them even if its by just one point. It's a win. ��������
HSPN Wrote:OK, two things:

You are going to base strength of schedule off of the wins and losses of your opponents? The best team that Whitley has played is Bell. Next would be Madison Southern but that's a tricky comparsion due to the whole Harris situation so we will call that a scratch and say its a tie between Knox/Letcher/Pike. And yes those teams have had some wins and some losses to some pretty good teams. But comparing wins of opponents IN NO WAY determine the strength of your schedule. If North or Whitley were to play all their non district games against weak teams who play in a weak districts, played cake schedules and all had records of 8-1, would they have the strong schedule then? Absoutely not. As previous mentioned. Whitleys toughest opponent was Bell who won 57-13. Norths has been Southwestern and Pulaski. With a 1 point loss to Southwestern and a 2 point loss to Pulaski (who at the time had Riley Hall, who likes to pass, and is better than Woods). Put either Southwestern/Pulaski against Bell, and Bell loses. Good games but losses nontheless.

But since you like comparing wins and losses, here are some numbers that I've researched.

Total margin of loss for the season
Whitley: 105
North: 7 (that's not a typo)

Average wins by each team defeated:
Whitley: 1.5
North: 2.85

Average wins by teams each lost to:
Whitley:6.6
North: 7.6

So there ya go.

So playing tougher opponents don't accomplish anything? How could it not make them more playoff ready? Maybe it is personal preference but I think teams should have to face adversity to see what they're made of to better prepare themselves. You wouldn't train a athlete to do things "easy" because doing things "more difficult" doesn't accomplish anything.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just a realist. Good luck to both teams Friday!

I was comparing non district opponents because you cant control who is in your district. The PC and SW games are much better than Whitleys district opponents, but Whitley isn't in that district so there irrelevant in terms of out of district schedules.
Theres also a difference in adversity and getting beat to death and quitting at the half, which is what could of happened had Whitley not changed there schedules around. Whitley really only got beat bad by Bell at Bell, and should have played better. Whitley got a taste of adversity when they beat Harlan County after being down 3 scores in the 4th quarter, they seen adversity in close loses to Rock, which should have been a win, and they seen adversity against Knox when they let one slip away that they had won. This schedule was almost perfect for them.

The biggest factor in this game is whether or not they come out ready to play, or they spot North 3 TDs in the first half in which case its lights out, and North will be playing at SW next week.
TouchdownJaguars Wrote:Through the schedules out, it's a one game season now!

Kuddos. All other arguments invalid.
JagSwag Wrote:Jags will be able to contain Woods and force Whitley to throw the ball. Thus, creating some turnovers and giving the Jags the momentum to keep the crowd out of the game. Sorry GUT, Jags 27 Colonels 7!

force Whitley to throw the ball? They love to throw the ball.
HSPN Wrote:Depending on which Whitley team shows up will determine North's margin of victory. Whitley is a good team but their level of competition in the regular season has no way prepared them for the playoffs.

Whitley places all of their value on Woods and he's not faced a defense as suffocating at North's. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts. Even if Woods plays lights out and North's defense isn't at their best, Whitley cannot stop the Jags on the ground.

North 35
Whitley 14

Whitley's defense is not strong and keeps me from posting some serious trash talk :biglmao:. and you are pumping your North Laurel team up.they are not the powerhouse you are making them out to be. I hope your jaguars think Woods is the only weapon the Colonels have.
Swag Jag Wrote:They better keep that ball out of the air or it will be interception heaven out there for Jags.

:zzz:
Jag Swag, you have a stalker.

His name is Swag Jag.

Or is that youre alter ego? Im confused.
What makes you think Swag Jag is a "he"????

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:What makes you think Swag Jag is a "he"????

Confusednicker:

:pondering: it has a swollen head whatever it is.
pjdoug Wrote::pondering: it has a swollen head whatever it is.
Confusednicker:
North 34 Whitley 20
I believe North should probaly be favored in this game, but I have to route for Whitley in this one. Either way it will be great for the Whitley Seniors to get to play one last time at home. With the revamped schedule, Whitley did not have many home games this year.
Poor Whitley had a great season considering what Jim
Black did to the program. Year before last they didn't even have enough players to have a freshman team. Jason deserves a couple years to dig out of that mess.
Regardless of all the strength of schedule talk, this game is North Laurel's to lose. They simply have the better team. The margin of victory will most likely be determined by Alex Woods. Someone posted earlier about his passing numbers and a couple games where he was close to 400 yards passing. In reality, it was just one game where he threw for 386 yards not a couple, and in fact there are just as many games where he threw for well under 50 yards as there are games where he threw for over 200 yards. If he comes out and has an over 200 yards game then I think it'll be within two scores. If not, then it should be a three or four score win for North Laurel.
:kneel:

Confusednicker:

I love you Granny, always the optimist! Swag Jag keep it up, Jag Swag is right with you :kneel:

Confusednicker:

No woman acts like there package is that big.
Okay, I know I'm old and slow, but please TELL me how you got the impression that Swag Jag has a "large package".

That is so gross!!

Hang in there Swag Jag!! PM me if these clowns give you any trouble!!Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Okay, I know I'm old and slow, but please TELL me how you got the impression that Swag Jag has a "large package".

That is so gross!!

Hang in there Swag Jag!! PM me if these clowns give you any trouble!!Confusednicker:

By the fact that his name is "swag jag"

You don't see any swag guts.
baseball1974 Wrote:Regardless of all the strength of schedule talk, this game is North Laurel's to lose. They simply have the better team. The margin of victory will most likely be determined by Alex Woods. Someone posted earlier about his passing numbers and a couple games where he was close to 400 yards passing. In reality, it was just one game where he threw for 386 yards not a couple, and in fact there are just as many games where he threw for well under 50 yards as there are games where he threw for over 200 yards. If he comes out and has an over 200 yards game then I think it'll be within two scores. If not, then it should be a three or four score win for North Laurel.

in reality they don't have a player named Alex Woods, so i have no idea how many yards Alex has. highschool football for $100 Alex:please::lame::gtfo:
Flash154 Wrote:Poor Whitley had a great season considering what Jim
Black did to the program. Year before last they didn't even have enough players to have a freshman team. Jason deserves a couple years to dig out of that mess.

How did he manage to mess the program up? just curious and not being sarcastic.serious question Smile
I will play this game while you act as if you don't know the answer. To summarize, he was a coach that made excuses for losing instead of finding a way to win. Most of the time, he blamed the players for lack of effort. It was his way or no way. He began his first two years 4-17. He couldn't make decisions on the fly during the game and wouldn't listen to anyone else. My grandma could have intercepted Whitley because it was the same passing play to the same receiver over and over. His third year when he couldn't afford another losing season, Donnie Fox, a respected and experienced winning coach, was calling the plays so Whitley had a successful season. They were 12-2 that year. Everyone knew who was in charge and why. In a nutshell, his record was 40-53 during his stay. He didn't earn respect as coach, and the kids didn't want to play for him. His 1A coaching style didn't work at Whitley, and he didn't know how to adjust.
Flash154 Wrote:I will play this game while you act as if you don't know the answer. To summarize, he was a coach that made excuses for losing instead of finding a way to win. Most of the time, he blamed the players for lack of effort. It was his way or no way. He began his first two years 4-17. He couldn't make decisions on the fly during the game and wouldn't listen to anyone else. My grandma could have intercepted Whitley because it was the same passing play to the same receiver over and over. His third year when he couldn't afford another losing season, Donnie Fox, a respected and experienced winning coach, was calling the plays so Whitley had a successful season. They were 12-2 that year. Everyone knew who was in charge and why. In a nutshell, his record was 40-53 during his stay. He didn't earn respect as coach, and the kids didn't want to play for him. His 1A coaching style didn't work at Whitley, and he didn't know how to adjust.

Opinions are just like rear ends, everybody's got one! I don't know this coach very well at all, but what I do know is he has had good run this year at NLHS. He has developed a tuff defense for that team & they have stood the test of the season offering their opponents (tuff teams) only 7 pts. total that went down in the score books. Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here, some times an individual just doesn't jell well with one team but does with another. I have seen that happen over and over down thru the years with different teams & coach's. I wish good luck to both of these teams, and hope this 1st playoff game doesn't become about a coach that left a team but about the kids playing on the teams & their skills during playoff! Confusedalute:
Tight End Wrote:Opinions are just like rear ends, everybody's got one! I don't know this coach very well at all, but what I do know is he has had good run this year at NLHS. He has developed a tuff defense for that team & they have stood the test of the season offering their opponents (tuff teams) only 7 pts. total that went down in the score books. Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here, some times an individual just doesn't jell well with one team but does with another. I have seen that happen over and over down thru the years with different teams & coach's. I wish good luck to both of these teams, and hope this 1st playoff game doesn't become about a coach that left a team but about the kids playing on the teams & their skills during playoff! Confusedalute:
I agree. He makes a much better assistant.
Flash154 Wrote:I will play this game while you act as if you don't know the answer. To summarize, he was a coach that made excuses for losing instead of finding a way to win. Most of the time, he blamed the players for lack of effort. It was his way or no way. He began his first two years 4-17. He couldn't make decisions on the fly during the game and wouldn't listen to anyone else. My grandma could have intercepted Whitley because it was the same passing play to the same receiver over and over. His third year when he couldn't afford another losing season, Donnie Fox, a respected and experienced winning coach, was calling the plays so Whitley had a successful season. They were 12-2 that year. Everyone knew who was in charge and why. In a nutshell, his record was 40-53 during his stay. He didn't earn respect as coach, and the kids didn't want to play for him. His 1A coaching style didn't work at Whitley, and he didn't know how to adjust.

If Whitley's administration was smart. (We know they've never been) Donnie Fox would of been the football coach at the high school a long time ago. I loved playing for Coach Fox, and everybody I played with did as well. Youre talking about a guy who had a run of season after season of destroying all the teams around here that would actually play us. I never heard the man cuss a kid out, get in his face, or even raise his voice. He was stern, and expected you to know what you did wrong, and it worked to perfection.
Fielding teams of 40 or 50 8th graders with everybody playing one way tells you all you need to know about how much kids wanted to play for him. By the time those groups got to there sophomore years there numbers usually wasn't even a quarter of what they were in middle school. The coaches he surrounded himself with were very respectable as well. Guy like Davis and Blankenship are awesome guys who taught the game which is what you need at that level. Im not going to comment on the Black statements, but you are correct in saying that group of guys were instrumental in helping that team play well.
Id love to see those guys on the high school sideline.
Flash154 Wrote:I agree. He makes a much better assistant.

Black was a really good assistant at Whitley when I played. He was very good at teaching us the fundamentals of defense first and then how to excel at them later. When he left for Wburg he seen the opportunity to run an offense that he knew most 1A teams would have major trouble stopping, and they did.
When he came back to Whitley it just never clicked.