Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A District 8 playoff tiebreaker
So, the perfect storm has happened. Leslie Co defeated Prestonsburg, and Shelby Valley defeated Betsy Layne. Now we have a 3-way tie for 1st place in the district. So who gets it?

By KHSAA rules, it will now go to a points system. Each of the 3 tied teams gets to count the wins by four of their defeated opponents, excluding the other teams in the tiebreaker. So, here are the defeated opponents for each of the three teams (top four bolded):

P-Burg: S Clark (1), Clay (1), Powell (2), Pike Cent (4), B Layne (5), Hazard (7)

Valley: Paris (7), E Ridge (4), Hurley (5), Harlan (4), Grundy (0), B Layne (5)

Leslie: Harlan (4), Knott (1), Morgan (2), McCreary (0), Clay (1), Jackson (1), B Layne (5)

Right now, SV has 21 points, P-Burg has 18, and Leslie has 12 (locking them into 3rd place). Games next week will make a huge difference. P-Burg can pick up 7 points by winning at Lawrence, and will likely not have any shot at the #1 seed without beating them. SV can also pick up 7 points by beating Fleming Co at home, which would effectively lock up 1st place.

If P-Burg beats Lawrence but SV loses to Fleming, the Blackcats go back into the drivers' seat, but Valley would still have a shot at the top spot depending on how some games go.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Will be very interesting week!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Now let's look at who these defeated opponents play in week 10:

1) Hazard (7 points) @ Sheldon Clark
2) B Layne (5 points) vs Jenkins
3) Pike Cent (4 points) vs Perry Cent
4) Powell (2 points) vs Morgan Co

If Prestonsburg defeats Lawrence (7 points), swap them in for Powell.

1) Paris (7 points) @ Berea
2) B Layne (5 points) vs Jenkins
3) Hurley (5 points) @ Phelps
4) East Ridge (4 points) @ S Floyd OR Harlan (4 points) @ Haysi

If Valley defeats Fleming (7 points), swap them in for Harlan/East Ridge.

Right now, Prestonsburg has 18 points. I predict they gain a point from wins by Hazard, B Layne, and Powell, giving them 21 points. If they beat Lawrence, give them 25 points instead. A win by Pike Cent would give them another valuable point.

Valley currently has 21 points. I predict they gain a point from wins by Paris, B Layne, and Hurley, giving them 24 points. A win by East Ridge could put them up to 25. If they beat Fleming, give them 27 points instead.

If Prestonsburg does not beat Lawrence, then they basically have no shot at the #1 seed. If Valley beats Fleming, then they probably lock up the top spot.

Valley still has a shot even if P-Burg wins and they lose. But they would have to have Pike Central to lose to keep P-Burg at 25, and then would need East Ridge to win their game too. If both teams were tied in points, then they go to a fifth defeated opponent, which would give Shelby Valley the edge (Harlan 4 points > Powell 3 points).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't think you count district games in a tie breaker situation.
I think your right Kentucky10 .
KENTUCKY10 Wrote:I don't think you count district games in a tie breaker situation.

You're right, district 7 had the same situation last season and Shs was the 3 bc of non district wins. Looks like valley has more possibilities based on the math than pburg does at this point but next week will be the deciding factor. Jumpers will have to prepare for a spread AND wing offense in the meantime I guess...
KENTUCKY10 Wrote:I don't think you count district games in a tie breaker situation.

Football fan 0 Wrote:I think your right Kentucky10 .

JumperPride1 Wrote:You're right, district 7 had the same situation last season and Shs was the 3 bc of non district wins.

Guys, you're all wrong on this one. District opponents DO count toward your total, as long as it is not a team involved in the tiebreaker. So Betsy Layne's 5 points would count for all 3 of the tied teams.

Trust me, I got it straight off the KHSAA website.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks 4 clearing it up .
More Cowbell Wrote:Guys, you're all wrong on this one. District opponents DO count toward your total, as long as it is not a team involved in the tiebreaker. So Betsy Layne's 5 points would count for all 3 of the tied teams.

Trust me, I got it straight off the KHSAA website.

Right, but since its 5 points for all three teams it's doesn't really matter. No team truly benefits from it.
You'd think the second tiebreaker should be the head-to-head once the 3rd place team is eliminated in the first tiebreak..

But Cowbell is right on the procedures as written. Thanks for untangling all that !!

:popcorn:
JumperPride1 Wrote:Right, but since its 5 points for all three teams it's doesn't really matter. No team truly benefits from it.

That is true, but it still will count as one of the top four opponents.

After taking out the points from Betsy Layne, it basically just makes it a "top 3" of non-district opponents.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
they was talking about it on the radio before the game started and they said only the first seat will go by points and the second and third seat went by head to head match.
bobcatforlife Wrote:they was talking about it on the radio before the game started and they said only the first seat will go by points and the second and third seat went by head to head match.

It doesn't matter what they said...

This is taken directly from the KHSAA site (http://khsaa.org/handbook/competitionrul...ules.pdf):

TIE-BREAKER (more than two teams). Should three or more
teams tie for the a district position based upon the win-loss
record, the position shall be determined by the following:
i) If one of the teams has defeated each of the other teams
tied in games contested between them, that team shall be
declared to hold the highest position, and the winner of the
game between the remaining teams (if less than four) shall
be declared the second highest position. In the event of
more than three teams being tied, where one has defeated
each of the tied teams, that team shall be declared the
highest position, and the tie-breaking procedure shall be
re-applied for the remaining tied teams.
ii) If the tie remains, each team tied for the position shall
receive one point for each game won by any four of their
defeated opponents in all games, except for the games
played between any two of the tied teams. All games played
shall be counted in applying the tie-breaking procedure,
including out of state games, with the exception that a
defeated school may be counted only once in the procedure
regardless of the number of games played against that
particular school. Teams awarded forfeit victories (whether
or not a forfeit fee is paid) may count the defeated opponents
of the forfeiting team, provided the game was not replaced
on the schedule.
iii) If the tie remains after application of provision (ii), an
additional defeated opponent’s wins will be added to the
point total for each team until the tie is broken and the
winner of the tied position declared, or until all games are
exhausted.
iv) If the tie for the position involves only three teams, and the
application of (ii) and (iii) results in one team being declared
the winner of the tied position based on point totals, the
highest point total from the application of (ii) and (iii)
between the two remaining tied teams shall be declared to
hold the next position.

It's the bold area which applies to determination of the 2nd and 3rd seeds.

:popcorn:
These teams are very even. Whoever gets any one of the three in the first round will have their hands full.