• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just how good is the young Mayfield defense?
Each week I watch this defense get better and better. I am very surprised at just how good they are. I think people around here do not realize just how good they are because they are more looking for qb sacks, very big (Jonathan Jackson) hits and such. They are missing the fire for all the smoke so to speak. It left me thinking just how good are they? So, I thought about it for a while. I have hung my hat on the 2002 Mayfield Cardinals defense as probably the best I ever saw. With that in mind, I chose to compare scores for each years teams all the way back to and including the 2002 season. Since we have only played 7 games so far this year, I looked at the totals for each years defense all the way back to 2002. This years young Cardinal defense, which will return 7 starters next year and another 2 that get a lot of playing time, has given up 75 points thus far. Really, I am short changing them because I know for sure that 9 of those points should not be credited to their defense. So this is what I found out for each year in the first 7 games.

2013 136 points, 14-1 state champs
2012 133 points, 14-1 state champs
2011 46 points, 14-1 state runners up
2010 73 points, 15-0 state champs
2009 112 points, 13-2 state runners up
2008 190 points, regional finals
2007 78 points, regional finals
2006 123 points, semi finals
2005 87 points, state runners up
2004 178 points, semi finals
2003 97 poi9nts, semi finals
2002 71 points, 15-0 state champions

These are the point totals given up by each Cardinal team by year through the first seven games. The strength of schedule and for the most part all the teams are pretty much the same year after year. I think this shows really good signs for where this bunch is at this time.
All this means nothing vs. Beechwood or Pikeville.
we wont know how good they are until they stop playing cupcakes Confusednicker:
We still have 2 more of them in our way. We still have idle and Fulton Co. We finally get a couple more top ten teams then.
It probably didn't mean much to #9 in 6a McCracken, #12 in 5a Graves, #10 in 3a PT or #5 in 2a Murray either. Point us we played them all and that is still what has been scored against us.
mysonis55 Wrote:It probably didn't mean much to #9 in 6a McCracken, #12 in 5a Graves, #10 in 3a PT or #5 in 2a Murray either. Point us we played them all and that is still what has been scored against us.

McCracken has been proved to not be all you said they were and the others can't beat anybody.
We will see. I noticed there seem to be a lot of you that jump on a team real quick. I remember when Beechwood was dead about 3 weeks ago also. I really don't understand all you guys getting offended when anything good is mentioned about Mayfield. I would not be surprised to see McCracken make it at least to round 2. I would not be surprised to see Graves win their district. I would not be surprised to see PT play for regional and possibly even semi finals. I also would not be surprised to see Murray play in semis. Yeah, sounds like a weak schedule to me. I never said anything negative about whatever east team you are for. The fact is, I am correct about the defense and it worries you so you feel like you have to say something smart a**ed.
Let 55 have his day in the sun, he deserves it. I honestly believe whoever beats them will be KY STATE CHAMPIONS, HAZARD, W BURG, Beechwood, maybe Raceland,
topnotch Wrote:Let 55 have his day in the sun, he deserves it. I honestly believe whoever beats them will be KY STATE CHAMPIONS, HAZARD, W BURG, Beechwood, maybe Raceland,

Confusednicker: at you not 55
This is the second thread he's started about their defense, telling everybody how good they are. Its a shame because Mayfield is not the type of program that needs to fish for compliments. Everybody got tired of listening about it in the other thread(with basically the same title), so he starts another one. Mayfield is a great team. I'm sure they'd be embarrassed if they knew their people were fishing for compliments on message boards?
baseball1974 Wrote:This is the second thread he's started about their defense, telling everybody how good they are. Its a shame because Mayfield is not the type of program that needs to fish for compliments. Everybody got tired of listening about it in the other thread(with basically the same title), so he starts another one. Mayfield is a great team. I'm sure they'd be embarrassed if they knew their people were fishing for compliments on message boards?
I don't see anything wrong with it. He's a proud fan. No different than anyone else who humble brags on their team on this site. They are impressive numbers, and no doubt Mayfield has earned the right to crow a bit until someone beats them. Just my opinion about it.
PHSForever Wrote:I don't see anything wrong with it. He's a proud fan. No different than anyone else who humble brags on their team on this site. They are impressive numbers, and no doubt Mayfield has earned the right to crow a bit until someone beats them. Just my opinion about it.

I agree with you, but one thread is enough don't you think? Can you imagine the comments you'd get if you kept starting threads that were something to the affect of, "Can you believe how great Pikeville really is?" Haha!
baseball1974 Wrote:I agree with you, but one thread is enough don't you think? Can you imagine the comments you'd get if you kept starting threads that were something to the affect of, "Can you believe how great Pikeville really is?" Haha!
Oh, they'd be hanging me in effigy if I did that. Lol. But it is what it is. That is why I don't usually slam people for starting threads, but if they are non-factual, I'd have a field day on them. Lol. :Thumbs:
Very good but only time will tell if they hold up to past Mayfield defenses.
I don't believe mayfield is better than last year 55 period...west is just weak Confusednicker:
I agree that onerall west is not as good as last year. I still believe Mayfield is the team to beat. In the WEST.
Mayfield is a strong team from the west with a LOT of tradition. Won it all again last year. Difference is, this year the East potentially has more than one thing to bring to the table. Going to be interesting between the powers in 1-A to say the least.
The East has 3 or 4 teams that will be tough. Everyone one knows that Williamsburg has A senior team. (has been there) but, you can't overlook Hazard, Raceland is getting better and better, and there are a couple more.
topnotch Wrote:The East has 3 or 4 teams that will be tough. Everyone one knows that Williamsburg has A senior team. (has been there) but, you can't overlook Hazard, Raceland is getting better and better, and there are a couple more.

For some reason topnotch i'm going to throw in painstville and that other team pike in the running Confusednicker:
topnotch Wrote:The East has 3 or 4 teams that will be tough. Everyone one knows that Williamsburg has A senior team. (has been there) but, you can't overlook Hazard, Raceland is getting better and better, and there are a couple more.

:thatsfunn
mysonis55 Wrote:I never said anything negative about whatever east team you are for. .

I know this wasn't intended for me, but I do have a response. Fact is you usually are down grading the east teams period.

As far as this thread goes, yes Mayfield is a great team with great history. No one on this site can deny that. If they do they simply don't know anything about KY football. I think it is hard to compare which defense is better than the other by points allowed alone. Simply because no matter if you are playing the same teams year after year you are lining up against different levels of competition each year. Mostly due to graduation, additions, and subtractions from said teams. Team A could be dominant one year and greatly reduced the next. In my opinion the "eye test" is the best.
Class 1A

Rank-School FPV Rcd TP Pvs
1. Mayfield (16) 6-1 169 1
2. Pikeville (1) 6-0 146 2
3. Williamsburg - 6-0 133 3
4. Beechwood - 4-2 108 6
5. Russellville - 6-1 100 5
6. Frankfort - 4-2 83 4
7. Raceland - 5-1 72 8
8. Lou. Holy Cross - 5-1 52 9
9. Paintsville - 5-1 33 10
10. Hazard - 4-2 30 7
Others receiving votes: 11, Paris 7.
Look, this was not done for your compliments. I really don't care about your compliments. I was attempting to give our fan base something to discuss about a very good defensive team this year. I did not come in here and proclaim that our team was the greatest. I wanted to discuss the defensive aspect. I suspect that the reason you all get offended is because you are concerned that this defense may be just as good as I say it is.

I really think that it is getting lost on some of our bunch here. I am very excited about this particular bunch because I'm very close to them. I coached and have been around this young bunch a lot since they were in about 3rd grade and some before that, so forgive my excitement.
mysonis55 Wrote:Look, this was not done for your compliments. I really don't care about your compliments. I was attempting to give our fan base something to discuss about a very good defensive team this year. I did not come in here and proclaim that our team was the greatest. I wanted to discuss the defensive aspect. I suspect that the reason you all get offended is because you are concerned that this defense may be just as good as I say it is.

I really think that it is getting lost on some of our bunch here. I am very excited about this particular bunch because I'm very close to them. I coached and have been around this young bunch a lot since they were in about 3rd grade and some before that, so forgive my excitement.

No problem. Forgive our skepticism.:Thumbs:
I really wish I knew of a year when there wasn't someone saying he west was down. I guess, I should be glad that yall are saying that because every time you do, it works out well or us.
mysonis55 Wrote:I really wish I knew of a year when there wasn't someone saying he west was down. I guess, I should be glad that yall are saying that because every time you do, it works out well or us.

I just like saying the west is weak instead of. "Go west my son"
mysonis55 Wrote:Look, this was not done for your compliments. I really don't care about your compliments. I was attempting to give our fan base something to discuss about a very good defensive team this year. I did not come in here and proclaim that our team was the greatest. I wanted to discuss the defensive aspect. I suspect that the reason you all get offended is because you are concerned that this defense may be just as good as I say it is.

You should add a disclosure to your threads "Mayfield fans only reply".

Confusednicker:

People disagree with you on a post and you get defensive.
People give your team a compliment and you still get defensive. Confusederiously:
mysonis55 Wrote:I really wish I knew of a year when there wasn't someone saying he west was down. I guess, I should be glad that yall are saying that because every time you do, it works out well or us.

Every year you say the East is down. Your just to touchy. Lighten up man. :Thumbs:
Cant we all just get along?
55 you make good posts on here, especially the "Game of the week" posts,imo. But you need to get past that East/West thing. You seem to be obsessed with it.
  • 1(current)
  • Next